Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Glen Finglas.
  • stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

My other half wants to go here on Sunday and whilst I wouldn’t make a special trip I thought it might be worth taking the bikes for me and the boy. A quick search suggests it might be quite hard work if it’s been wet so given the rain over the last 24 hrs and possibly for a few more will it be worth taking the bikes and attempting to drag a 13 year old around?

matt_outandabout

The wet should not pose too much of an issue – there is a couple of little streams to cross and first bit is cut up by hydro scheme at present.
    It’s a bloody big climb…

fifeandy
    Free Member

Agree with Matt, pretty firm rocky/gravelly surface most of the way round – don’t see the wet causing a problem.
    The main climb is a proper climb for sure, only moderate length, but some very steep sections.
    Plenty of climbing outside the main climb too, as there are constant undulations.
    Achievable for a fit 13yr old, but quite a challenge and likely to take a good part of the day.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    richmtb

Agree with the above

Do it anti clockwise.

Clockwise is very steep climb in places

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Fitness won’t be an issue for him but lack of trail centre type fun might be. But I’d quite like him to see that there’s more to mountain biking than trail centres.

scotroutes

It’s not the most inspiring area scenically either so it’s not where I would choose to extoll the virtues of “natural” trails. It’s sure a big climb for little reward. On the other hand, no day out in the hills can be considered a waste.

iainc

surface will be fine, and forecast suggests Saturday will be decent, so a nice day out. My 13 yr old son likes it, but he is a bit of a climbing freak 🙂 My 10 yr old wouldn’t manage it. Anticlockwise is best, as Rich says

Steve_B

Finglas is a bit of an unending ascent – esp if you have a reluctant companion. You can add a bit of variety by going up the steep track form the Glen Finglas carpark nr Lendrick Lodge (poss a push in parts)which gives some high level singletrack to start and cuts out the steep road climb to the reservoir. Then at the end there is a little path goes in by the school and finish with some easy boardwalk out towards the car park again.
    Paths are shown on this map
    Gle Finglas

An alternative is to head through the forest via L Drunkie and do some of the singletrack around go ape. The return by the Menteith Hills – might be a bit over ambitious though.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Glen Finglas.’ is closed to new replies.