Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Glen Feshie
  • sporteus

I am planning to do the route described as "Glen Feshie Challenge" in the Bike Scotland Trails Guide. The OS map shows two obvious descent tracks running parallel to each other, one ending at Auchlean and the other at Achleum. The book map seems to show the latter one but which is best?

Also, has anyone diverted from the described route to the summits of Mullach Clach a Bhlair and Carn Ban Mor?

missinglink
    Free Member

stick to carn ban more route! only real worthwhile descent up there after doing that climb! if your planning doing it soon take some warm clothes/crampons….

Kit
    Free Member

sporteus, there is only one (very wide) route off the top, but it is indicated as two routes on the OS map. Its very obvious what to do when you get there.

I crossed over to Carn Ban Mor when I first went up – easy enough to get to, in fact you can ride to it from the path.

Looks like this from the top of the descent: (photo from stuartie_c.)

fizzer
    Free Member

I went to Mullach Clach 'a Bhlair and Carn Ban Mor. Also went out & back to Sgor Gaoithe all rideable last Easter but you may well need crampons soon.

Me on summit MCaB

Gary_C on the snow fields below SG

Glen Einich from SG

HeatherBash
    Free Member

No reason why you couldn't do the Southern one – it is actually a path on the ground and not a figment of OS imagination.

Not as good mind…

The classsic CBM everyone raves about is in fact the fox hunters path iirc

sporteus

Thank you all for the very helpful posts. Hope to do it next week, weather and snowfall permitting. Cairngorm webcam showed a sprinkling of snow this morning but all burnt off by lunchtime, so fingers crossed.

devs
    Free Member

No reason why you couldn't do the Southern one – it is actually a path on the ground and not a figment of OS imagination.

Made a point of finding it last time I was up. It's more of a grassy clearing than a track and didn't look much fun at all compared to the other path. No brainer.

devs
    Free Member

stick to carn ban more route! only real worthwhile descent up there after doing that climb!

There are people who, if you meet them up there, act all shifty and then disappear once you go down the CBM descent. Further invest has revealed 2 descents that are supposedly up there with it. I have yet to find someone who will show me them. looked quite snowy up there as I passed today.

aviemoron
    Free Member

Nothing up there worth riding, all covered in feet of snow anyway, try again next year….

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Glen Feshie’ is closed to new replies.