Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Glen Doll / Lock Muick Ride. STW meet up.
  • mactheknife

Just putting the feelers out to see if there is any interest in a meet up for the attached route.

I,m no expert but i have done the route a few times and am more than happy to lead the way directions wise.

I was thinking maybe the weekend of the 16th/17th July. Saturday or Sunday dependant on numbers and suitability.

Loch Muick Route

Any questions please ask away. 😀

On the route map i have attached it has the meeting place as GR 310 821 but i was thinking the Glen Doll car park as Start / Finish point.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

how hard a ride is it? How much hikabike? I take it the descents are worth the pain of the climbs?

stabilizers

Did you mean route No9 with the Southern start?
    More info here.

http://www.ecurieneep.co.uk/routes.asp?routeid=9

trail_rat
    Free Member

im in them alps that weekend

tj – on the way out from glen doll – everything past the river crossing up to corrie caish (sp) is hike a bike

thee straight descent from there is immense down the walkers path – the marked track isnt near as good but when busy lessens the pissed off walkers .

climb up to bachnagairn is easy fire road , descent is epic

views are spectacular

overall i like it !

mactheknife

There is a fair bit of hike-a-bike at the top of the first fire road 265 791 to the top of 255 808, there are 2 x descents to get to the loch depending on group levels and an amazing descent from Capel Mounth into Glen Doll.

It is a pretty technical ride in parts but an absolute belter. so in my mind the descents defo make up for the hike – a – bikes. The route is also in The Wild Trails, by Phil McKane.

mactheknife

Did you mean route No9 with the Southern start?
    More info here.

http://www.ecurieneep.co.uk/routes.asp?routeid=9

Thats the one, and funnily enough that looks like the exact same route map 😀

trail_rat
    Free Member

bugger meant capel mounth not bachnagairn!

mactheknife

If a change of dates suit other people then thats all good, just wanting to get a group together for a friendly ride out. 😀

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

ta chaps – I would be a possible but doubt I can persuade Mrs TJ to take the tandem.

I know the comparison is impossible really but how hard in comparison to GT red or Laggan lower red both of which we have got the tandem round.

orangina
    Free Member

I have done that route 3 times, always down the walker’s path and round the left side of the loch. It is superb, if you can handle drainage ditches, else i’d recommend to go down as it shows on the map. Quite a hike-a-bike to get to the top, and another steep fire road climb to get back but again, the descent back to the car park is fantastic, though the Little Red Riding Hood feeling further down the path has been spoilt a bit by the trees all having been felt.
    If SOH (Rickmeister) is free that weekend we’ll might well join (and have 3 spare seats in the van).

Oh and Jeremy, the tandem – I think it’s a no-no…. the hike-a-bike is at least for the first half so twisty through the trees that you even struggle with a single bike at times ….

trail_rat
    Free Member

tj – i wouldnt even entertain a tandem up there …. ive been round it on a cross bike but screw carrying a tandem up there !

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Ok ta

Shame. If its a push up no great issue – we have done a fair bit of hikabike but if its an awkward carry its another issue

MrKmkII
    Free Member

i’d like to do this – most likely be the sunday if either. it’s always tricky for me with work to get around so don’t plan too much around me! but i’d like to be a maybe for now if that’s okay 🙂

mactheknife

Excellent, thats a maybe for a few people. I dont log on here much but ill defo log on every day and get in touch with people and re-arrange if necessary. If you have any ideas or questions my email is britubby@googlemail.com if you want to contact me directly.

Hopefully we can get a good group together and have a great day…

stabilizers

Mr Mac
    I had noticed. Not my map personally tho’

stabilizers

I should add I cant make it. I’ll be at Kirroghtree… apparently.

13thfloormonk

Hmm… I have a ‘history’ with that area after Stuartie_C’s meet up a couple of years ago, would quite like to get back there and have another go, especially at the Kilbo path descent!

rugbydick

We were up there last week. A nice wee ride after work on a Wednesday…

We took about 3 and a half hours around from the Spittal of Muick carpark.
    Plenty of hike-a-bike but that’s part of the fun of natural biking, isn’t it?

The 2 descents down Capel Mount and back down to the Loch were worth every second of carrying up though.

bruneep

I know the comparison is impossible really but how hard in comparison to GT red or Laggan lower red

seriously ❓ 🙄

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

bruneep – just trying to get some idea of how difficult the trail was to see if it was worth attempting on the tandem. The ecurieneep vids gave me a good idea tho.

mactheknife

Time to resurrect this thread, i forgot about the dates i had suggested as the last 2 weeks have been crazy.

Im going to do this route tomorrow on my tod but if there is any interest for other dates then it would be good to maybe sort something out.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Glen Doll / Lock Muick Ride. STW meet up.’ is closed to new replies.