Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Glen Bogle route from the Wilson book – any good ?
  • orangina
    Free Member

We're planning to do this tomorrow, just wondering if anyone has done it before ? Is it as good as he says ? Thanks.

Stu_N

Andrea – did it a few years ago now. It is a good route for a good day.

The descent Kenny suggests (between Creag Pitridh and Geal Charn) is quite tricky, basically a fairly overgrown and somewhat eroded stalkers' path that comes and goes a bit.

There's a descent that goes straight on down the Allt Coire Pitridh that is apparently very good, though I don't know anyone who has done both so can't give you a valid comparison.

I don't know what the snow position is around there – there was still plenty on the Cairngorms a couple of weeks ago; the route goes up to 850m so it might be something to consider even now…

orangina
    Free Member

Stu ? Is that Stu from Fiona and Stu ?
    Anyway, snow ??? it is really hard to believe there was still any snow. Thanks very much for the info. thing is, we only decided today to do this and we just realised we haven't got the map. So have to try and find it on the way up, there's a service station at Kinross which has a good selection else plans have to change.
    Thinking about snow melt, the book suggests that it needs dry conditions, it might be quite sludgy then …. damn.

Steve_B

photos from our trip about a year ago are here
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/26693195@N03/sets/72157619422288538/

very scenic double track with not a lot of technical riding. Definitely one for good weather. Personally I thought the descent that Stuart refers to was the (tech)riding highlight tho I can see that it wouldn't be to everyone's taste. the opt out that Stewart referred to is now a surfaced path and would be quick finish but zero fun. We did meet a bearded ancient who thought he was safe from the dreaded MTB and was not happy with our presence ! The descent was tricky enough that the bearded wonder nearly overtook one of our party despite his advancing years.

Couple of navigation pointers –

the turn at Kinloch – just before point 3 in Kenny's book is easy to miss – tho you get the bonus of playng on the beach in my photos 😀

the river crossing at Point 5 after the climb from Pattack is the one to watch out for – you are descending on a fast sweeping path and could easily go flying by the crossing not helped by a very vague path on the other side. Mind you once you cross you might wish you had stayed on the descent – the climb to the Bealach (in Kenny's photo) is a pretty tough grind

(Edit) The only "sludgy" bits will be on the climb to the Bealach – not likely to be affected by snow melt. How much of the ascent you can ride depends on how strong you are – but it is only a couple of k to the top. From the Bealach there is a good track but as Stu says it gets a bit vague and boggy once you are on the descent – keep heading towards the river and you will be pick it up if you look carefully – it gets less boggy but more technical.

orangina
    Free Member

Steve, great photos! And we will keep in mind your navigation tips. First wee have to get a map tho. If we find a map in the first place…

Stu_N

Yes, Stuart as in Stu and Fi. Hope you had a good day if you did it.

I checked back and we did the route in August 2006 – thinking back, I did enjoy the descent for the most part but it was slightly fustrating when the path just couldn't be found for few hundred metres (or you could see where it had been before it had slipped into the burn).

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Glen Bogle route from the Wilson book – any good ?’ is closed to new replies.