• This topic has 22 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Tim.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Glazed pads- anything I can do or just return?
  • hora
    Free Member

Last pair on the bike- from new they've been glazed (including the front one FFS!).

I can't remember having glazed pads before (alot of meat left on them).

I've tried mud (no). Is it reasonable to return for an exchange?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

They cannot be glazed from new – glazing is a product of using them!!!!

Sand the surface and bed in again

Stranga
    Free Member

If this happens I usually just take them out and roughen them with a file just to take the glaze of.

Only happened a couple of times but seems to work ok for me.

samuri
    Free Member

de-glazing is also a product of using them. It's only on the surface, a surface which is conveniently close to a rapidly spinning disk.

robdob
    Free Member

Nothing wrong with the pads, as TJ said. Rub them on a bit of emery cloth and they'll be like new. No grounds for returning them.
    I've found a handful of Yorkshire mud stuffed into the caliper always rescues any disc/pad contamination issue, including glazing and lube/brake fluid on them. Has to be Yorkshire mud mind – it has amazing wearing properties on any bike surface it touches!!!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Has to be Yorkshire mud mind – it has amazing wearing properties on any bike surface it touches!!!

I tell you what, Swinley Slop must be at least as abrasive…. You can easily get through a set of pads in one ride there if it's wet!
    'Kin 'orrible , it is….

hora
    Free Member

Rob I've still got those 105 calipers (been a longtime mind) if you want them? I could always drop them round in Marsh next time Im over (Thursday when I go to pick up my weekly curry takeaway)

robdob
    Free Member

Yeah that'd be great. On holiday this week and next week though.

hora
    Free Member

just let me know whenevers best. Where you off?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Swinley slop is indeed lethal to bikes, even putoline wax wasn't immune to its seduction.

Half the problem with swinley is the lack of hills, the peaks mud is far more abrasive but the decents are long enough (and fast/mud free in places) to get the pads hot again.

hora
    Free Member

sounds like the mud wore itself down/wore the actual hills down!

coatesy
    Free Member

180 grit wet or dry for me,can also recommend not trying Coed y Brenin mud for this as it does bu**er all bar waste your time.

robdob
    Free Member

In Wales at the mo. Coed y brenin tomorrow!! I will email you aboutvthe brakes at the weekend. I can always pop to outlane if you're up there.

mk1fan
    Free Member

thisisnotaspoon – Member
    Swinley slop is indeed lethal to bikes, even putoline wax wasn't immune to its seduction.

Half the problem with swinley is the lack of hills, the peaks mud is far more abrasive but the decents are long enough (and fast/mud free in places) to get the pads hot again.

Try smaller rotors.

bigrich

ask the bike shop to sort them out next time your in there getting your punctures fixed.

hora
    Free Member

rob I could leave them there for you.

bigrich. Can't, the bikeshops funny now about me buying a 5pack of innertubes online then taking punctures into the store to be fixed at materates (a packet of biscuits).

Woody
    Free Member

You take innertubes to a shop to get fixed !!

I'm surprised you aren't wearing the whole packet of biscuits as a buttplug 😯 😆 🙄

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Try smaller rotors.

Or, like me, just don't bother with Swinley more than once a year. It's pretty crap anyway.

hora
    Free Member

You take innertubes to a shop to get fixed !!

Nevermind mountain bike tubes. I can change a road bike tube within a minute without levers or fuss 🙄

elaineanne
    Free Member

i was had some glazed rough looking pads delivered (orgnic)…. they didnt last very long…looks to me like they were 'water damaged' ( form reputable company too ! ive kept them as spares…prob sand paper them i guess then too…. i find brakes work better in winter when theres lots of mud around…this hot weather we are havin doesnt suit my brakes sometimes..lol

bigyinn
    Free Member

How much effort is it to take your pads out and give them a quick sandpapering once in a while, really?

hora
    Free Member

How much effort is it to take your pads out and give them a quick sandpapering once in a while, really?

I am a veteran of brake-dragging for many many years. First time this has happened to me. Then again I've always used non-sintered before.

Tim
    Free Member

Get out and ride it for gawds sake. Some hard use will sort them out. It light use that 'polishes' the pad surface.

If i can be bothered, i always take a bit of fine wet and dry to new pads anyway. Done the same to a filthy rotor before as well 🙂

Makes a hell of a difference – and avid pads generally dont fit in the caliper anyway so a tiny bit of lost life isnt an issue 🙂

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Glazed pads- anything I can do or just return?’ is closed to new replies.