Viewing 33 posts - 41 through 73 (of 73 total)
  • Glastonbury
  • Candodavid
    Free Member

Saw Steve Lamacq leaving the Swan Hotel in Wells on thursday morning….getting too old to camp now?

Florence and the Machine were pretty good IMO on the red button.

yoshimi

I was the a few times in the early naughtys, I'm not as pls as some f you, but did manage to catch two of my all time top 5, radiohead and flaming lips- talking of which I'm ready for Wayne and the crew now- also remember scoring some of the best e's ever:))))))

Edric64
    Free Member

I can hear it now from my house as I type ,saves me £185 !! My kids always go though and I did in the early 80s when it was about £15

yoshimi

La roux 😐

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Mumford & Sons doing a couple of new tracks on the red button….

corroded
    Free Member

I was there a few times in the mid-90s. May even have served you a beer (in the worker's beer tent not the god tent). The only act I can vaguely remember is Orbital which suggests to me that I must have spent the rest of the time at soundsystems and in the dance tent with some good shrooms.
    Not sure if I'd want to go these days – I think it can do without another thirtysomething!

john_drummer
    Free Member

I can hear it now from my house as I type ,saves me £185 !! My kids always go though and I did in the early 80s when it was about £15

Bingley Live in September is just over the hill from me; if the wind is in the right direction I can hear it from my house

the line-up hasn't been updated lately but at £30 + booking fee for the whole weekend I'd say it's a bargain. Anyone scheduling a run of The Bingley Bash might get to see it for free, from a distance. cheapskates 😉

YellowBelly
    Free Member

First went in '89, you just parked where you wanted and camped next to the vehicle. I've no idea who played that year, suspect the Waterboys. I think. Went a lot until mid nineties, recall orbital on the NME stage was a big highlight one year, and stumbling on Osric tentacles in random small tents in middle of nowehere. Walked straight in one year, no ticket or owt, that wouldn't happen nowadays. I remember the Wicker man burn as well. 😎

Cheers for the head up about Mumfords on red button, quality.

mundiesmiester
    Free Member

1992 – arrived in the back of a mini van to see television but the only thing I can remember is being mesmerised the length of the queue for 99's from a full on Mr Whippy van in the morning dawn

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member
    grtdkad

1994 … me, the missus and two mates from york squashed in to a tiiiny daihatsu with all our camping gear! Ace memories

Particularly remember Weller playing as the sunset, the Manics (when they were still a bit edgy), Blur, Radiohead, The Pretenders !!! and a new band called oasis playing a short mid-afternoon set.

One glorious weekend … we're watching now looks ace, we must go back!

hug
    Free Member

all i can remember is late 90s, sea of mud,lots of little white things , Daft Punk. oh and two weeks to recover.

simonralli2
    Free Member

In the early 90s I was following the DiY and Smokescreen soundsystems at free parties across the Midlands. I remember thinking that Glastonbury seemed a bit too commercial compared to the free party scene, but maybe that was a tad elitist. By the mid 90s, some friends and I started going to the Big Chill, and I loved that as it was not that large.

When I see Glastonbury on tv, it does seem fantastic, but I would probably feel that it is just a bit too large for me, and I would probably feel a bit to claustrophobic and would not want to stand in a crowd for a long time. At O2, as head of music and games in the later 90s, I went to the V festival which we were sponsoring, so that was good – I had a hotel and a chauffer (i.e. someone in their golf from the marketing agency). Great days the 90s, whatever scene you were into. 😀

Moses

I can't take the oppressive crowds these days, but Mrs M is there stewarding being a hippy granny (although she's not,yet). Good music, good vibes, she says. Being in a very superior campervan instead of a tent helps, I reckon.

£180 for all those bands over 4 days? Absolute bargain!!
    Compare that with a single gig from one of your better-known bands.

trailmonkey

I went in 86 and watched England v Argentina on a telly that someone had rigged up to a car battery or generator or something. How times have changed, that would be on a big screen now.

Went again in 93 and spent most of the weekend in an opium induced bubble of loveliness. Took me 3 hours to find my car on Sunday evening 😳

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Played on the pyramid stage in '81. One and only visit.

john_drummer – Member

I'm 45 if it makes you feel any better

Pah. Youngster.

I just tune in to the Beeb these days and catch what looks interesting although so far, Florence and her Machine plus Vampire Weekend (WTF is that?) is NOT doing it for me, I'm afraid.

Never mind.I just saw that Kylie is going to guest with the Scissors later…

Shak47

1989 – 2005
    First was he best, horses, dogs and crusties.
    Listening to chants of Hash for Cash, black hash hrough the night
    Last was the worse, no atmosphere, no weed, and gangs of jap tourists wandering around in packs taking photos of people smolking spliffs. It also seemed that everyone there was white and middle class, whereas in the past the crowd was a lot more varied and colorful.
    Trying to avoid the coverage as despite not wanting to go, I still feel as if I am missing my summer holiday.

singletrackhor
    Free Member

Went in 95 and 97. One hot dry rave and one wet mud gloopy mess.
    Went in 95 mainly to see the stone roses. Only recently forgiven squire when found out it was mtb accident that resulted in his broken collar bone.
    97 was a mess, we camped in the stone circle field, no sleep even if you wanted to. Was an effort to get anywhere on site so we hardly left the dance tent or the beer tent next to it.

grahamb
    Free Member

I was there 79 & then 81-86. Got fed up with partly too many people & the mud. 79 was nice, with about 10000 people. We used to go more for the vibe than the bands.

I'm trying to think of bands i saw that i thought were any good (sorry Woppit 🙂 New Order i guess were the highlight. The Pop Group were great (iirc they played a double set after the UK Subs discovered the backstage mescal tea), and Tim Blake at the very end of '79.

We much preferred the Elephant Fayre in the 80s. Much nicer venue, bands we actually wanted to see, chilled vibe, and river estuary mud for proper mud baths.

yunki
    Free Member

Haven't seen NMA in yrs now, need to sort my act out and get to a gig again.

they're playing at Beautiful Days in August..which is a three day festi set in the heart of Devon..

also playing are James.. Levellers.. the Wailers.. Billy Bragg.. Fairport Acoustic Convention.. Bellowhead

full line – up here

bassspine
    Free Member

We much preferred the Elephant Fayre in the 80s. Much nicer venue, bands we actually wanted to see, chilled vibe, and river estuary mud for proper mud baths.

a far far better festival than Pilton ever was. I spent one year basically glued to a bassbin in the dub tent.

Pauly

Went a few times from 91 onwards. Last time was 2006.

Really want to be there.

Highlight was probably Orbitals first ever gig; the one with Belinda Carlisle's Heaven Is A Place On Earth…

noteeth
    Free Member

I still feel as if I am missing my summer holiday

My feelings exactly. Regardless of whether*/how/why it's changed, I never fail to enjoy myself… looking across the site at night, from somewhere high up, still just knocks for me for six.

(*ba-boom-tish).

darrell
    Free Member

went in 87, 89 and 2000

Husker Du, sleeping in my tent next to the car and some great acid

😛

2000 was shite, too many people, too many kn0bheads.

nickc

2000 was shite

Apart from The Dame doing every single song that the crowd wanted him to do. Bless him.

Edric64
    Free Member

The Dame ? Shirley Bassey?

nickc

David Bowie

yunki
    Free Member

Florence and the Machine were pretty good IMO

really?!
    we were forced to switch channels as the song butchering hag wailed her way tunelessly through yet another nerve jangling adventure in musical murder..
    quite quite foul and hideous. (in mine and my other halves opinion)

ferrit32
    Free Member

Florence and the Machine were pretty good IMO

really?!
    we were forced to switch channels as the song butchering hag wailed her way tunelessly through yet another nerve jangling adventure in musical murder..

Cannot agree more, horrible noise, if you're going to do covers at least try and do the original some justice. Fleetwood Mac will be spinning in their graves at that pitiful attempt at "The Chain" And Candi Staton certainly has nothing to fear

I only went once in 94 I think RATM, Weller, Jah Wobble, Jonny Cash oh and I seem recall the Ireland v Italy World Cup Game game being shown on the big screens at the Pyramid stage. After that the cider and some other dubious substances seem to have ereased large chunks of my memory

noteeth
    Free Member

I don't want to be rude about Florence, but in a musical universe that includes the likes of this, I'm baffled as to why people find her so appealing…

myheadsashed

I like Groove Armadas set, much better vocals than FatM and that Danny LaRoux pish

tang
    Free Member

Elephant fair. Good shout! Glastonbury pre police on site was a true antidote to the 80s.

forlornhope
    Free Member

anybody go to castlemorton now that was a proper festy?

Viewing 33 posts - 41 through 73 (of 73 total)

The topic ‘Glastonbury’ is closed to new replies.