Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Glastonbury camping
  • johndoh
    Free Member

With it being pay up time this week, I have got thinking about my camping plans – three of us going (me, my brother and his teenage daughter).

So I don’t want to be in the same tent (or compartment in a tent) as them but want a decent amount of space – all I have is my 24hr race tiny 1/2 man tent and I fancy something bigger.

So the question is – should I get a huge tent (she can have a room, I will share the other with my brother) as I could then use it for family holidays myself (we have two younger girls) or will a big tent not work?

I went about 16 years ago and it has grown since then so I have no idea how packed it gets but I was thinking that I would find a quieter site where we could spread out a bit.

Or would we be best having two smaller tents?

Sorry for my rushed ramble!

lesgrandepotato

Camper van! It’s about a 20 min walk into the site. Stick an awning up. Black out blinds and a cafetière.

johndoh
    Free Member

Yeah, we *WERE* going to take my brother’s caravan then his wife decided to sell it without discussing it with him!

marczr
    Free Member

When are you going? turn up early enough and you can set up an encampment with as big a tents as you can be bothered to cart across the site. Turn up on Friday afternoon and you might have to hunt around for a spot big enough for the race tent.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Stuff sharing a tent with another guy.

brooess
    Free Member

When I first went in 2000, most people had little tents. Last time I went, a couple of years ago loads of people had mahoosive family tents with Gazebos etc.

This is the Glasto equivalent of everyone pointlessly buying 4x4s and to damn with the consequences to everyone else… which in this instance means unless you turn up on the Wednesday, you’ll struggle to find space for anything but a 2-man tent…

2 smaller tents would be my advice, but don’t expect to set them up ‘homestead’ style where you’re next to each other!

Northwind

Is she hot? No, that’s all sorts of wrong. Is he hot?

2 man tent is the standard answer, correct size for one person. Something durable, for when drunks fall on it. Also enables you to annex a little space, single big tents tend to get encroached on.

(I once saw Muse get about 10000 people in a 4 man tent at Reading but that’s different)

llama

we’ve always taken a massive 6 man job but this was in family camping which has tons of room, especially the one near the cinema. If she is a young teen do that.

anywhere else you are likely to be trudging around a fair bit looking for a big space if you arrive later than Thursday afternoon, but that’s not to say you won’t find one.

shadowrider
    Free Member

If it gets wet and muddy (like usual), you would be glad of a bigger tent. As said above, if you get there early doors on Wednesday you should get a decent spot, even late Wednesday afternoon the space starts getting a bit tight. Personally I would go with a bigger tent, it’s just a bit more comfortable.

jairaj

As above depends what time you arrive.

Last time I went was 2013 we turned up on Thursday afternoon and it was a bit difficult but not impossible finding a spot big enough for a 3 man tent with porch at the more popular locations. If you don’t mind camping a bit further away from the action it probably would have been easier.

Friends of mine got there on Wednesday afternoon and said there was loads of space and could have put up a full size big top tent if they wanted.

edhornby

my festival tent is a cheap one from a supermarket / halfords, given that some people get their tent walked on there isn’t much point having a posh one – I also inherited one that was left behind by a lazy muppet – which is now for the kids to play in 🙂

johndoh
    Free Member

So if I don’t care about walking, is their quieter pitches available?

The daughter is 16 – can we get in the family field?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Glastonbury camping’ is closed to new replies.