Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)
  • Glastonbury – Anyone else get "the pangs"?
  • sc-xc

xherbivorex – Member

i went to a few of the old monsters of rock festivals at donnington in the 80s, but never felt the need to go to the daft big readings and glastos where they sell out before they’ve even announced any of the bands.
    the misanthropist in me has a complete aversion to such things.

You may have your dates muddled up Herbie… the late 80s/earl-mid 90s didn’t sell out until near the date (I was a late ticket buyer). Probably all that speed you took at Donnie!

uselesshippy
    Free Member

There’s some jealous posts on this thread. 😀

Candodavid
    Free Member

Couldn’t think of anything worse for me really

wrightyson
    Free Member

Why not still go?

Harry_the_Spider

wrightyson – Member

Why not still go?

Because I’m 44, married and have kids. My memories are of being 24 and being out of it for 5 days.

I suspect if I went again it wouldn’t be the same.

piemonster

Because I’m 44, married and have kids. My memories are of being 24 and being out of it for 5 days.

Yep, bang on.

*add Harry to Xmas card list

wrightyson
    Free Member

I’m just 38 got two kids and they’re both coming to ynot festival this year. Not quite Glaston I admit but can’t wait. Also off to hardrockcalling this weekend, did Biffy coupla months ago, still ride my bike like it doesn’t hurt when I fall off and generally act my age only when I need too. Life’s to short to get old….

llama

Take the family before they are old enough to need a ticket. Of course its not the same, but the place is not the same either. You will be surprised how fun it is.

Of course, getting out of it has to be moderated and/or performed in shifts

soobalias
    Free Member

wednesday i did think that i would love to go again.

then i watched the bbc4 program which reminded me how false contrived and plastic the whole event got over the last 20yrs. Arcadia is a perfect example IMO.

this morning, im stuck in a stuffy office, being tortured by BBC R2, where the ginger tosser chris evans is doing a glasto special.

R2 – radio for carehomes.

glad im not there now i think about it, dont want to ruin good memorys.

khani
    Free Member

I’m quite happy to sit in a field in the middle of nowhere on my own with no music, fill it full of people and speakers and five quid hot dogs and I’d rather stay at home..
    M’old now. thirty years ago however….

Lifer
    Free Member

Radio 2 and One Show coverage is a great cure for “the pangs”. Need some washout festivals to cull the scumbag glampers and get the prices down to normal.

LoCo
    Free Member

Ignoring facebook, have quite a few mates there and a couple who are backstage camping too.

Get bad pangs every year, as have been to quite a few 3 of which were running the kitchen in a Burrito van, check out Santa Fe catering for a mean Veggie Burrito, mind the special extra hot sauce though 😉

monkey_boy
    Free Member

was talking to the wife last night, both veterans of festivals of the early 90’s.

we both agreed we couldnt handle a festival now, just older and to be honest were both music snobs and 90% of the stuff out there now is sh*te.

i do have my 90’s rose tinted specs on though!

then i watched the bbc4 program which reminded me how false contrived and plastic the whole event got over the last 20yrs

spot on, all the kids with their mobile phones out constantly would do my fekin head in, but i guess they cant help it and im just an old fart!

binners

Everyone at Glastonbury wishing they were dead

booths have been set up to help people cope with the realisation they have paid the price of a holiday in Tuscany to camp in a farm whilst listening to XFM.

😆

stevestunts
    Free Member

Only went to Glastonbury once, in 95. Three of us climbed the fence, took our entire weekend’s supply of drugs on the Thursday night, saw some memorable performances (Carl Cox in the dance tent, anyone? Described by Steve Hillage as more mind-blowing than Hendrix at the IOW Festival), didn’t have a poo, don’t remember actually eating any food, was liberated from my wallet by two charming Liverpudlian gents and their pal Mr Stabby, spent our last fiver on poppers and our only sustenance for the nine hour National Express journey home was a Cadbury’s Twirl, which I begged from the eight year old boy who was sitting next to me.

Never been arsed about going back.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Damn binners beat me to it

scruff
    Free Member

I cant be arsed with it all now, used to go to every festival I could, last one was V, half full of nobend townies who wanted any excuse to get off their tits on anything and / or kick off at anyone. Other half had hunter wellies on staying at some local Holiday Inn.

Proper Glastonbury was different, we got woke up by some scousers trying to rob the tent, I told em to go away and they apologised !

noteeth
    Free Member

I grew up nearby and have been 12 times or so since 1992… loved it as a kid, and I’ve always found something/somewhere to enjoy, regardless of conditions. At dusk, and from high up, the festival is still a staggering sight.

Not so bothered these days, although I did play U.F.ORB at loud volume the other night – an album eternally evocative of missioning it into Avalon.

yossarian
    Free Member

Glastonbury has changed a lot in the past 15 years but that’s cool. I spent a number of very enjoyable years acting as hippy security in the greenfield area. I had a walkie talkie, a hi-vis vest with ‘insecurity’ stencilled on the back and a pocket full of one skinners that I handed out to disorientated young uns who’d never seen any like it. Back in the old days you’d get a lot of people coming through from Stonehenge and Avebury after the solstice celebrations and there’d be free parties all over the West Country for a a good few months. Great times, great people and great attitudes.

nicko74

never been to a festival so yeah when glastonbury comes on I get a few pangs thinking chances are I’m never going to go to one now.

And certainly won’t be able to go to one without Holly Willoughby, Mumford and Sons and trustafarians/ yummy mummies…

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Worked there in ’92 with the Dogs of Heaven, for those that remember we were the peeps who built a fire show around a 50ft high, 5 ton wicker man 8)
    Was a great experience, off my tits on a smorgasbord of drugs bought with the money we were paid to do the Sunday night show after Saturday nights supposed burning was cut short due to a slight accident involving a firework mortar and 5’000 people in the acoustic tent next door!

Had the second highest crowd of the weekend, not bad for a bunch of crusties from Manc who’d built the wicker man out of wood robbed from an old Victorian police station 🙂

plumber
    Free Member

I’d rather poke my eyes out with a blunt pencil

I love live music but hate being surrounded by complete ****

dknwhy

plumber – Member

I love live music but hate being surrounded by complete ****

And that’s just the BBC presenters.

Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘Glastonbury – Anyone else get "the pangs"?’ is closed to new replies.