Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)
  • Glastonbury – Anyone else get "the pangs"?
  • Harry_the_Spider

Went 6 times in the 90’s and had the time of my life.

This is the only time of the year that I miss my youth. 😐

Anyone else got that thousand yard stare and a longing for the whiff of mud, dope and the toilets?

Stiggy

Mmmmmm, black bombers…….

piemonster

This is the only time of the year that I miss my youth.

Wipes tears from my eyes

I’ve moved quite a few times since the 90s, so a lot folk I’ve not seen for years with a shared festival history thanks to drifting apart.

It’s the girls I miss, such good memories. The lads are all idiots (as was/am I) and are easier not to miss.

Jesus wept, twenty years since my first festival.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    bikebouy
    Free Member

MrsBouy does. Last night we watched the programme on BBC4 about the “alternative” side of G’bury.. She said she missed it as she told me, many times “I was there, I did that, I was there!!” To be honest after the 156th time she said, “I climbed over the fence to get in” I could have stuck a sock in her mouth…
    Me, nah, glad I get to stay clean, not get fleeced, get to sleep and not rub shoulders with shonky weirdos..

I do think “you had to be there”

So… Off you go.

tang
    Free Member

Just waved my eldest daughter off. She’s working for my dad there, which I did also till I was 21! He’s been to every one except the very first. Still a great festival despite its evolution, and yes I’m jealous!

Edric64
    Free Member

In the early 80s there was no fence you just got there late Friday night and sneaked in ,or got a kid to bring you out someone elses wrist band

sc-xc

Went a few times in the early 90s – and I could think of nothing worse than going now.

Much prefer the smaller festivals nowadays…seem to attract the more traditional festival crowd rather than the kind of person that wears the wristband for two months after they come back to show people how cool they are,..

llama

Why don’t you go then?

molgrips
    Free Member

I sometimes wish I could go and join in this stuff.. then I spent 2 hours (don’t ask) at Fleet services yesterday morning, and saw the oh so trendy toff brats all stopping on their way down there, and I thought I’d rather be on my bike 🙂

DezB
    Free Member

No way! I went to a couple of festivals ages ago, gotta be absolutely the worst way (apart from maybe a stadium) to see live music!
    I guess it’s about more than seeing the bands (other wise the Glastonbury headliners wouldn’t be so CRAP!), but the rest of the “Festival experience” doesn’t appeal in the slightest.
    Seeing a band tonight in a small club of a few hundred.. that’ll do me.

shermer75
    Free Member

+1 smaller festivals!

Duggan

I do a bit but tbh when you see it televised it covers a multitude of sins.

binners

Been a few times myself, and a few of my mates have gone this year. They’re doing it proper gayer glamping style though. The pussies!

I’m still really, really jealous though 🙁

corroded
    Free Member

Went twice in the early 90s and had a great time. It’s not really about the live music. I think the, er, customer base has changed somewhat since then and without the crusty soundsystems I definitely wouldn’t be interested now.

johndoh
    Free Member

Been to loads of festivals, Glastonbury is the only one I want to go back to. Hoping to go in a couple of years time when my girls are 6…

Torminalis
    Free Member

I have been to Glastonbury 18 times and this year I am not going as I have a pregnant wife. First time I have not been since I was 9. It isn’t pangs, it is good old, balls out withdrawal.

verses

Only did Glasto once, in ’97, the first of _the_ mud years.

Would like to go again (maybe will for my 40th) but only if you could guarantee the weather. I don’t mind mud and rain (done my fair share of wet, muddy festivals) but the conditions that year were just hideous and unrelenting.

Yes, I do have Glasto-pangs at the mo. Going to M&S-fest (sorry, Latitude) in a few weeks, but it’s not the same…

simon_g

I went a few years back and it was OK. tbh, the music part of the festival is all I’m really there for and put up with the long traffic queues, the mud, noisy campsites, drunk/drugged idiots, rubbish toilets (although glasto is better than most) and other hassles for it.

On the plus side, it does have some great variety of music acts, and if you’re going to spend £200 and get bored of music acts, then there’s plenty of other distractions. The food is generally much better too, more independents and fewer generic burger/chinese/hogroast ones.

Have been to dozens of others, but it’s the only festival we’ve experienced any crime at (tent robbed as we slept) which probably tarnishes my view a bit.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Anyone else got that thousand yard stare…

Remember it well! 8)

zbonty

Thought about going but will end up watching it on telly instead-it always looks good.

I do prefer more intimate clubs/events though. Dance festy in Croatia in a few weeks will be great for me. Cant wait!

MrWoppit
    Free Member
    D0NK

Anyone else get “the pangs”?

never been to a festival so yeah when glastonbury comes on I get a few pangs thinking chances are I’m never going to go to one now.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

No way! I went to a couple of festivals ages ago, gotta be absolutely the worst way (apart from maybe a stadium) to see live music!
    I guess it’s about more than seeing the bands (other wise the Glastonbury headliners wouldn’t be so CRAP!), but the rest of the “Festival experience” doesn’t appeal in the slightest.
    Seeing a band tonight in a small club of a few hundred.. that’ll do me.

this, entirely.

i went to a few of the old monsters of rock festivals at donnington in the 80s, but never felt the need to go to the daft big readings and glastos where they sell out before they’ve even announced any of the bands.
    the misanthropist in me has a complete aversion to such things.

wordnumb
    Free Member

Nope. The music is average at best, and, as above, it’s hardly the ideal environment in which to listen to anything other than people in krazy hats yelling at one another. Festival food used to be over-priced bbq/chip van fodder – you knew what you were getting, you knew the risk and hoped the alcohol in your system would do for the e-coli. Now it’s a fiver or more for a fruit juice made of a ‘special blend’ of stuff bought from Lidl and meat from animals killed humanely by exposure to Coldplay.

binners

corroded – Member

Went twice in the early 90s and had a great time. It’s not really about the live music. I think the, er, customer base has changed somewhat since then and without the crusty soundsystems I definitely wouldn’t be interested now.

😀

manitou
    Free Member

Festival were best in the 70’s.. wouldn’t fancy it now.. All designer wellies and those caps with the labels left on and being shouted at by some horrible unmusical rapper waving his arms around. Dreadful

wordnumb
    Free Member

“Are you having a good time GLASS-TONNE-BERRY!?!?!”

D’ya know, we probably would be having a good time were it not for some arse with a microphone repeatedly asking if we’re having a good time like it’s some kind of exercise in group-think conformity.

“Look – that person didn’t shout and wave his hands when he was asked if he’s having a good time. Throw him off the farm, via the slurry pit.”

rogermoore

Binners that is a funny cartoon.
    Went twice – 2004 and 2007. Overall I’d say the were more crap bits than good, but glad I went. Got a ‘pang’ listening to the radio this morning with an interview with the Eavis lady, but I doubt I’d go back any time soon.
    RM.

YellowBelly
    Free Member

Went lots from 1989 to around mid 90s. (but avoided all the muddy ones fortunately).

I genuinely have no idea who played in 1989, despite being encamped somewhere at the back of the pyramid stage field for 4 days. Possibly Suzanne Vega? and maybe the Waterboys? It was very hot is all I remember, and hell getting my mate’s car out at the end as it was surrounded by tents.

Once hitched down from Nottingham, got a lift with two nutters drinking tenants super/S brew equivalent all the way down. They abandoned their (wrecked) car at the gate in the queue. I had planned on scaling the fence, but just walked straight in.

littlemisspanda
    Free Member

Went a few times in the late ’90s. Can’t say I’d bother now, I’m rarely bothered about the bands that play there. I went to Download last year, car got stuck in the mud, campsite was a wash-out. My lingering feeling afterwards was “eeek – I’m too old for this!”

freddyg
    Free Member

I do get (am currently having) pangs, but I reckon I’m probably too old now.

Been several times since late 80’s and experienced both sunshine and unbelieveable quantities of mud. In the sun it is a truly magical place; in the rain, it’s a bit grim.

Apart from my very first visit, I was never bothered about the headline bands. Glastonbury, for me, is all about the smaller stages and stuff away from the main areas. Much more chilled.

verses

Apart from my very first visit, I was never bothered about the headline bands. Glastonbury, for me, is all about the smaller stages and stuff away from the main areas. Much more chilled.

If I do go again, I plan to make more of that side of it. Don’t mind the odd anthem-belting headline set, but much prefer to explore the other side of it.

eskay

The old traveller festivals were the best, especially the bank holiday ones.

Anyone go to Castlemorton?

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Anyone go to Castlemorton?

A friend’s parents who lived nearby described it as “hell on earth”.

llama

flip
    Free Member
    eskay

A friend’s parents who lived nearby described it as “hell on earth”.

I can imagine it must have been if you lived there! Quite a memorable weekend though and it was the rave that killed off raves. The government had to act to save face, they arrested the spiral tribe crew and kicked off the criminal justice bill. The following weekend in a two fingers to the cops the meeting place for the rave was the station they had been held in!

senorj

I do – similar to the o.p. , I went from 89 through to about 96/97.
    One year my car was parked next to the pyramid hospitality bar for the whole festival. 😀 😉
    I used to love it. The “sweets” available in the travellers field used to be wonderful…….
    I now watch the (excellent) coverage and pine……but also don’t think I could cope/fancy it now, as it does look mobbed.Maybe it’s a young mans game?
    For me it was never about the headliners, but going off on a mad weekend long adventure.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

I can imagine it must have been if you lived there! Quite a memorable weekend though and it was the rave that killed off raves.

Bless.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Really no. Even though it’s just over the hill.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘Glastonbury – Anyone else get "the pangs"?’ is closed to new replies.