Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)
  • Glastonbury aftermath.
  • wrightyson
    Free Member

[video]https://youtu.be/y70LCoK-XMA[/video]
    What a shit hole state they leave it in. I always hoped all the decent abandoned tents would go off to refugees etc but looking at the pile they’ve made maybe not. What I would like to know is where some of them get their air beds from as I’ve never had one stay inflated for more than 12 pissing hours!

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Bet he was was really looking for some acid and a teenth to take the edge off

kayak23

People are twunts.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

I wouldn’t be going into those tents without a hazmat suit on.

rascal
    Free Member

That is a shocking waste though. Throwaway society at it’s best.
    There must be thousands of tents left behind.
    Reckon they must have found a body in one over the years too 😕

technicallyinept
    Free Member

Lazy pigs! I’d like to think none of my friends would dream of doing this.

thenorthwind

This is one of the main reasons I don’t go to festivals any more. I can’t really enjoy myself knowing I’m part of something like that, even though I’ve never left anything at a festival. (No, I’m not probably not fun at parties am I?)

I have worked it to my advantage though. I’ve scavenged some great stuff from festivals. A 6 man, 2 bedroomed Outwell tent, with all the bags, labels still attached. A nice little 3 man Highlander tent I’ve used for years. A really good stainless steel saucepan I got when I was a student maybe 8 or 9 years ago and still use daily. God knows what other stuff I’ve forgotten about.

Last time I went to Glastonbury I pulled a massive flysheet off a pile of rubbish on the Sunday night. I’ve made two tarps for bivvying out of it, a hammock and some lightweight bags for a folding bike.

DezB
    Free Member

I suppose, as a proportion of how much the sodding weekend costs in total, a tent is nothing. If the organisers cared they wouldn’t do it anymore, surely.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Speechless really. Depressing.

fin25
    Free Member

Some of the refugee groups we work with go down to festivals after the event, get buttloads of stuff that finds its way to a lot of very grateful people.
    One man’s rubbish and all that…

jambalaya
    Free Member

Disgrace. How many of those people will be clicking on “save the planet” links ?

Tickets are clearly too cheap if people can afford to leave behind £100’s worth of stuff

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

As the 800-strong litter-picking crew begin the mammoth task of clearing an estimated 1,650 tonnes of waste – including 5,000 abandoned tents, 6,500 sleeping bags, 400 gazebos, 54 tonnes of cans and plastic bottles, 41 tonnes of cardboard, 66 tonnes of scrap metal, 3,500 airbeds, 2,200 chairs and 950 rolled mats – it has crossed my mind that I could return as part of their team. I’d get some satisfaction from mitigating the ingratitude of people who don’t give a damn about keeping the farm clean for each other and the wildlife. I’d still be angry, though: the rubbish gets cleared up but the people don’t learn. It’s probably best I just stay away.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/jul/01/glastonburys-rubbish-green-ethos-ruin-festival-worthy-farm-tents

Edukator
    Free Member

Tickets a clearly too expensive for people poor enough to consider something like a tent valuable to afford to go.

somafunk

Not just glastonbury festival that has that problem, we used to organise the dance tents at our local festival (wickerman festival sw scotland) for 13 odd years and the amount of rubbish left lying around on a sunday/monday was utterly depressing, the end of a festival is a bit of a downer at the best of times but to walk round a site afterwards and see a mass of deserted gear and rubbish akin to a public dump used to boil my piss. If you carry it in then there is no reason you cannot carry it out, or at the very least take it to the many collection points that were scattered around the site. I fail to see how the sustainability of festivals can continue if people leave stuff lying around – surely it would not be too much additional work to designate a pitch to individual tents and mark them so that these who leave items behind can be pulled up and either fined or made to tidy up after themselves.

Thankfully these days i choose to go the many small, informal non-commercial festival gatherings that continue throughout the Galloway hills, where utmost respect for the land and surroundings is paramount and as we all know each other the general vibe is a damn site more pleasant.

Some folk are just a pox on humanity though and to be deterred/avoided at all costs.

DezB
    Free Member

And they had Adele and Coldplay.*shudders*

nickewen
    Free Member

Christ almighty that’s some filthy horrible bastards right there. I had reet good tut at some blokes who didn’t seal all their waste bags left on their pitch when leaving the Goodwood festival a couple of weeks ago! I’d have a bleedin heart attack if I seen that shit first hand. Unbelievable scenes.

tang
    Free Member

I grew up on the festival circuit in the 70s/80s and the problem these days is a distinct lack of hippies.

boltonjon

Jesus – used to go a lot and liberated a fair few tents on my way out on the Monday morning – but i don’t suppose i realised how bad it was – 5 nights of glasto does that to you

no interest in going anymore – not with Adele & Coldplay headlining – and not with this shambles

Shame – some of the best nights of my life were had in those muddy fields 🙁

seosamh77
    Free Member

canny say it concerns me, the organisers responsibility to clean, so they just need to account for that on the ticket price. Don’t really see the problem. expecting a tidy site after a few hundred thousand people havbe been through it for 5/6 days is unrealistic.

Del

canny say it concerns me, the organisers responsibility to clean.

nice touch 🙄

seosamh77
    Free Member

expecting a tidy site after a few hundred thousand people havbe been through it for 5/6 days is unrealistic.

Del

you carried it in, you can carry it out. and they don’t expect it, they manage it

bikebouy
    Free Member

In a post Brexit era there will be a proportion of the U.K. population living in those discarded tents, on that site for years to come.

Why not just leave them standing now? Save taking them down to erect them again.

HTH’s

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Edukator – Reformed Troll
    Tickets a clearly too expensive for people poor enough to consider something like a tent valuable to afford to go.

My last “festival” tent cost about 25 quid from one of the bargain shops, expressly so that if it got trashed it was worth nothing – saying that it lasted about 5 years of lazy car boot camping.

senorj

How very depressing.More money than sense.& the litter…grr

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

I’ve worked quite a few festivals over the years, all of them dance orientated and that video up there looks quite tame compared to some of the horrors I’ve witnessed. 😯

richmars

Depressing.
    Just proves that most people are stupid and lazy.

kimbers

I think if I’d had to watch Adele and Coldplay I’d have just abandoned all my possessions too.

Although personally I’d never leave stuff like that behind, im too tight,

The faux outrage of Stw’s audi driving iPhone loving crew with a carbon footprint the size of Tredegar ticks all the old codger daily mail, youth hating boxes.

Fortunately its Glastonbury, so im sure the organisers make sure it all gets recycled or passed on to those who need it, so it’s all good in the end

FuzzyWuzzy

I always assumed it was cheap ‘lucky if they last the weekend’ quality tents that got abandoned but a lot of those look half decent. I really don’t get leaving behind folding chairs as well, they can’t take much additional effort to take out with you.

milfordvet
    Free Member

I hope people dont drop metal and wire into those fields. I’m a small animal vet, but as far as i recall from my college days the cows on that farm will get chest infections and pericarditis if they swallow metal spikey stuff left in the grass. Their strong stomach contractions pierce it out of the lining forwards. He loves his farm, i’m guessing they must sweep and metal detect it after. Interesting to know if they get any bovine problems with that.

Sandwich

I think if I’d had to watch Adele and Coldplay I’d have just abandoned all my possessions too hope.

FTFY

Del

they do ( i think ) a finger tip search to pull all the fag ends as these are bad for the cows too.
    i was there a few years ago trying to talk people out of dropping these. i spoke to a few people who’s response was basically ‘i’ve paid a lot of money to be here and the litter pick is part of that’. 🙄
    presumably the same sense of entitlement that leaves our towns and cities streets covered in litter too.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Brexiteers, all of them.

HTH’s.

AlexSimon

Fortunately its Glastonbury, so im sure the organisers make sure it all gets recycled or passed on to those who need it, so it’s all good in the end

I think that is assumed by a lot of people who leave it.
    From previous years threads – it doesn’t appear to be true (hence that big pile in the video). Too difficult to make sure everything is present, undamaged, packed, clean, etc.
    As the video mentions there are drop-off points where you can pack it up and leave it for charity.

jon1973
    Free Member

canny say it concerns me, the organisers responsibility to clean.

I think that kind of sums up a lot of what is wrong with ‘society’ in that it’s always someone else’s problem, and there is no need to take any responsibility for you own actions.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

How? It becomes “waste” at the point of discard under EA rules. What doesn’t get “acquired” will be off to landfill. Glastonbury has been prosecuted by the EA in the past.

neilthewheel

We were at the Eroica festival in Derbyshire and saw almost no litter the whole weekend, so it can be done.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

So many kettles

Although yes they want their arses kicking, we went to festivals and tidied up when we left, took our tents home cos that’s what you do when you’re not a prick.

tang
    Free Member

I’m guessing there weren’t 80,000 u30 yo off their tits clamouring to get back to humdrum on Monday at Eroica. It’s volume of people really. I’m guessing a few 10s of thousands cleared up after themselves.

Xylene
    Free Member

I went to the Outback Eclipse Festival in the Flinders ranges in 2002, and while it was only small, on leaving the waste left behind was minimal, – but then 5,000 psytrance hippies do try to be clean. During the rave people were going around cleaning up, helping out. It wasnt all just me me me.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘Glastonbury aftermath.’ is closed to new replies.