Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • glass/metal hi-fi stands
  • xherbivorex
    Free Member

anyone able to give a heads-up on a good place to get a hi fi stand; those glass plate/metal legs type ones? i don’t want to/can’t afford to pay an absolute fortune for one; was hoping to pick a cheap one up for about 30 quid or so if possible. i don’t need audiophile type stuff though, so nothing silly thanks…

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

so nothing silly thanks

good luck!

woody2000
    xherbivorex
    Free Member

the cheapest hi-fi rack richer sounds appear to have these days is about £100, and those AV ones are really a bit too wide for hi-fi stuff.
    annoyingly, argos appears to be the best bet…

traildog
    Free Member

I’m never sure glass metal is the best material to make hi-fi stands out of. I would certainly have a careful listen before deciding that’s what you definitely want. As mentioned, Richer sounds for cheaper stuff is probably best. Or even Ikea – Linn used to recommended the Lack table for their equipment, although it wasn’t really the best sounding.

Or make your own? Lightweight wood is the way to go imho.

woody2000
    simonfbarnes
    Free Member

it’s happening…

xherbivorex
    Free Member

i’d assumed superfi would be well out of my price range… hmm.
    ikea… i’m planning on getting a lack low tv stand anyway so that might be an option actually.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I have one I will sell if you want glass and metal but it is 5 foot high!!! does store all the LP’s/cd’d though (200 hundred ish) and all sepearates (think I have 7 in mine)with room on top for other stuff.
    One careful vegan owner…like it matters Selling as
    1. My wife hates it cos it is too big and does not fit in with the style of the house (this is apparently VERY important)
    2. We have a coal fire and i dislike dusting and she refuses (see point one above)
    3. It really will not be safe to put it on my boat when I move back in!!!!!
    It has space at the back for cable runs so they are out of sight etcThink I paid about £80 from ebay new.
    Closest i can find is this for style but mine is taller I assume
    http://www.homecinemastands.com/jual_jf005_silver_clear_glass_audio_visual_tv_or_hifi_stand/prod/53/
    do for £30 can deliver for petrol money it is pretty big though and i place it in an alcove.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

cheers matey, but that’d be way too big for my plans!

Junkyard
    Free Member

i know might just weigh it in it then!!!
    Glass is fine sound wise but does get dusty IMHO

ransos
    Free Member

I have a glass & metal Atacama stand, but found that my turntable sounded much better after sitting it on top of a solid oak block (offcut from a kitchen worktop). So maybe you’re better off with wood.

MrNutt
    Free Member

hey Junkyard, how does it store the vinyl? I might be interested, I also have an atacama one (thats sat in my loft as my garrard 301 in an SME plinth is too big)

Hadge
    Free Member

I can recommend the Atacma range, I use one and it’s excellent. As for the turntable I use Oak Cone feet to isolate it on the glass. You can add extra shleves to them too so as you add bit’s and pieces you always have somewhere to put them. IMHO they are worth the extra.

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

You can sometimes find reasonable ones on ebay going on the cheap, that’s how I got my decent one.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

yep, keeping an eye on ebay…
    i can wait, i have other things i can be getting on with in the meantime…

twohats
    Free Member

I’m currently using a Lack TV stand for my Hi-Fi and to tell you the truth it sounds better than the Metal and glass stand it replaced!
    The stand is now for sale?

xherbivorex
    Free Member

hmm… righto, so that’s good actually as i can get the tv stand i want and also the smaller one for my hi-fi, so they’ll match…
    i think i may have a winner.
    cheers fellas!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘glass/metal hi-fi stands’ is closed to new replies.