Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Glasses + Rain + Road = nightmare
  • mikey74
    Free Member

Anyone else who wears glasses have problems riding in the rain? I may have to just not do it in the future as tonight I could nothing at times.

Taff
    Free Member

RainX on the lenses, roa cap or peak on the lid to stop rain going on the inside of the lenses

mikey74
    Free Member

Already running a peak on the lid, as it’s a mtb helmet – oh, the shame.

RainX on the lenses: Good call.

mrmo
    Free Member

yes, it only gets worse in fog, mizzle, rain, snow, etc. as for stopping and steaming up!!!

SaxonRider

I have no coatings on my glasses, and get really frustrated when it rains.

That said, I have never heard of RainX.

Sounds like it’s time to go shopping.

Don’t give up on the riding, though, mikey74.

mikey74
    Free Member

I’m not going to give up, I may just have to either rethink riding when it’s raining, or find ways to improve visibility, such as that RainX stuff, if it works.

A light brighter than my NiteRider MiNewt USB 250 may help too.

Taff
    Free Member

The steaming up is another matter. I have anti-fog and find it rubbish. Find it better ensuring glasses are away from my forehead. Any water that goes on my lenses runs off generally but dirt sticks

mikey74
    Free Member

It’s funny: I don’t get any fogging up, just water droplets on the lenses that reflect the lights of oncoming cars.

brooess
    Free Member

Move to the South where it doesn’t rain*

* as much

mikey74
    Free Member

Move to the South where it doesn’t rain*

Living halfway between Brighton and London, I can only go about 30 miles further south.

brakes
    Free Member

cycling caps worn low on the brow are great for keepin a lot of the rain away from your eyes

flyingmm

Oakley do a hydrophobic coating that works really well – not too cheap though: http://uk.oakley.com/products/6730/25107

Northwind

Nikwax Visorproof is another good one- prevents steaming up too. Seems a little expensive til you realise that one bottle will last you the rest of your life.

Don’t get it on the lino though, you’ll fall on your arse, then when you go to get a cloth to clean it up you’ll fall on your arse again. Don’t ask me how I know- I just know.

aP
    Free Member

The nikwax spray is quite good, also wear a road cap under your helmet this will keep a lot of the rain off the lenses. Choose gloves that have a thumb/ forefinger with absorbent material so’s you can wipe the lenses every now and then. If its really bad a good old cotton hanky in an accessible place means you can wipe easily.
    You don’t need a brighter lamp just make sure that its visible and not pointing up or horizontal.
    The worst problem I find are car brake lights which seem over the last couple of years to have entered some kind of wattage war.
    If you think cycling in rain with glasses is tough try adding a migraine as well – that wasn’t a particularly pleasant 20 mile commute from one side of London to the other.

boblo
    Free Member

Contacts in the rain. No rainy/foggy/steamy aggro.

portlyone

Ride really fast and let air pressure clear the lenses? 🙂

Moses

I’ll second the use of contacts – they gets rid of the problem entirely

monkeychild
    Free Member

I use a tiny drop of washing up liquid rubbed onto the lens. This stops fogging.

mikey74
    Free Member

Contacts not an option.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Glasses + Rain + Road = nightmare’ is closed to new replies.