• This topic has 37 replies, 20 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by aP.
Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Glasses on the NHS! Makes me mad.
  • mifty
    Free Member

Why the hell are they not free, or at least the lenses?

Why in a day and age where we treat people for self-inflicted illness, are we making the none self-inflicted 4 eyed paying for their ESSENTIAL eye wear? Ignore designer frames, their lenses should not cost and the frames subsidised.

Stoner
    Free Member

until those of us over 6’2″ get free air/rail/bus/coach travel upgrades to seats with more leg room on the NHS, you can keep paying for your milk bottle bottoms, speccie!

😉

mifty
    Free Member

It’s not my fault you’re lanky, lanky.

aP
    Free Member

At least I get free eye tests. I get very little else from the NHS, it took me 5 years to find a GP within 5 miles that was taking new patients.

totalshell

tell me about prescriptions for life.. i take drugs to keep me alive 3 days without and it’d be curtains not might be would be and yet i have to pay for them every week for the rest of my life i have a season ticket but its still a laff when someone who qualifies for free prescriptions can get asprin for free.. they cost 32p ffs..

mrmo
    Free Member

it is a pain, i have to wear glasses, no option about it. No glasses, no vision, no job.

hmmm, that’s an idea, quit work, free glasses, the money i spent to have my wisdom tooth out earlier this week, well that would have been free as well….

paulosoxo
    Free Member

until those of us over 6’2″ get free air/rail/bus/coach travel upgrades to seats with more leg room on the NHS, you can keep paying for your milk bottle bottoms, speccie!

I’m 6’4″ and a bit, there was no bed long enough for me in hospital, my tall persons wheelchair never came, and I had to wait ages for a long walking stick. The NHS Is still fab though.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

paulosoxo

I’m 6’4″ and a bit, there was no bed long enough for me in hospital,

Most modern beds there is a handle at teh bottom that when you pull the footboard slides out a goodly chunk further

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Most modern beds there is a handle at teh bottom that when you pull the footboard slides out a goodly chunk further

They did that, but as I was propped up when I was on the ventilator, I just kind of slid down a bit.

mrmo
    Free Member

and fat ambulances!

I do wonder about spending priorities, IVF, it doesn’t keep you alive, it doesn’t make you physically better, Liver transplants for alcoholics, self inflicted, Lung cancer from asbestos, work, lung cancer from smoking self inflicted.

I know it is never that easy, but if the pot is only so big, you do wonder what counts as priority.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

I do wonder about spending priorities, IVF, it doesn’t keep you alive, it doesn’t make you physically better, Liver transplants for alcoholics, self inflicted, Lung cancer from asbestos, work, lung cancer from smoking Broken bones from falling off bikes self inflicted.

Fixed that for you.

mrmo
    Free Member

Fixed that for you.

I agree, hence why i said never easy, and the moment you start suggesting sport injury insurance i think you are going the wrong way. It then becomes very easy to introduce more and more insurances.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

would you rather back to the bad old nhs days – where your glasses were either wire frame round lens or one design of cheap and nasty plastic in different colours

paulosoxo
    Free Member

I agree, hence why i said never easy, and the moment you start suggesting sport injury insurance i think you are going the wrong way. It then becomes very easy to introduce more and more insurances.

I’m just being an arse, I’ve just been arguing with my father in law over my tyrolene. 🙂

T666DOM

You should be able to find somewhere where there will be an option that’s fully funded by an NHS voucher. At our practice we have Voucher value complete spex.

You may not get the greatest choice in the voucher value range in our practice you can always put something towards the cost if you wanted a better frame in which case the voucher would normally be offset against the standard lens cost.

thehustler
    Free Member

OP, like many things inthis country it depends on your personal circumstances, if you are deemed to be ‘self sufficient’ then you pay just like other prescriptions, if you are on certain types of benefit osr have certain medical histories either personally or within the fmily you get a free eye test, and contributon towards glasses, this ‘contribution’ will cover the cost of the most basic type of lens needed to meet your prescription into a basic frame (his is wholly at the discretion of the supplier as the cotribution is a fixed amount) if you go outside the basics then the eyewear providers can charge what they wish/market forces will allow.

Do I agree with the above, some bits yes, some no

mrmo
    Free Member

I’m just being an arse, I’ve just been arguing with my father in law over my tyrolene.

🙂

It is a valid argument though, you injure yourself through sport, you didn’t have to do, you get fat, well you have to eat…..

I would rather have the NHS with its faults than the US system any day. But, also, i would rather people take control of their lives than expect others to sort it all the time.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Probably happen when those of us with profound colour blindness are registered as having a disability – sounds trivial but take a look at the career limitations – most jobs in the armed forces – no, police – no, water faeries – no, electrics of any sort – no, train driver – no, commercial pilot – no, anything medical – no, the list goes ever on.

Mrs Cat always mutters that women’s sanitary products should be given out FOC.

M6TTF
    Free Member

I’ve paid for my asthma medication all my life, why should mr magoo get free glasses? Tough titties

mrmo
    Free Member

I’ve paid for my asthma medication all my life, why should mr magoo get free glasses? Tough titties

But why should you pay for your medication, i suspect you didn’t create your asthma through your actions?, when an (ex)alcoholic gets a free liver transplant?

If your well off a prescription might not be a huge sum of money but if your just above the free level it is.

nealglover
    Free Member

IVF, it doesn’t keep you alive, it doesn’t make you physically better,

My sister in Law would disagree, as would many others.

IVF Treatment.

mrmo
    Free Member

My sister in Law would disagree, as would many others.

Sorry that carries as much weight as the helmet saved my life in a crash scenario argument*

Do you NEED children, yes/no.

So do you NEED IVF, yes/no.

we’re talking about from a physical point of view not a psychological point of view. Add to this the various studies that suggest IVF results in more complications during and after pregnancy.

* i wonder how easy it is to bring a helmet debate into the most unrelated topic?

nealglover
    Free Member

Mrmo.

Did you bother to ready any of the link I posted before spouting.

Edit- after IVF my sister in law barely suffers any symptoms from her condition.
    It was the recommended “treatment”
    Before she had the IVF treatment she was in agony every month for about 9-10 days and couldn’t hold down a job because of her endometriosis.

maccruiskeen

aP – Member
    At least I get free eye tests. I get very little else from the NHS, it took me 5 years to find a GP within 5 miles that was taking new patients.
    POSTED 1 HOUR AGO #

Consider that a blessing the vast majority of the cost and care most people get from the nhs is in the fortnight before you die. If you don’t feel you are getting much value from them just now then you can at least confidently start reading a new book. All be it a large print edition

BobaFatt
    Free Member

We have an NHS, just be thankful that when you’re up the side of some mountain cycling way outside your abilities that there’s a whole team of underpaid and overworked people willing to put you back together because of your hobby……..and you have the hard neck to complain that you have to pay for your glasses? get the **** over yourself

donsimon
    Free Member

We have an NHS, just be thankful that when you’re up the side of some mountain cycling way outside your abilities that there’s a whole team of underpaid and overworked people willing to put you back together because of your hobby……..and you have the hard neck to complain that you have to pay for your glasses? get the **** over yourself

What if it was a lack of glasses that caused the accident? Someone would look a bit silly, wouldn’t they?

mrmo
    Free Member

@nealglover, yes i did read the link, what it says is surgery, drug treatment or IVF, now which is the cheapest for the NHS? Which is the most likely to succeed, the answer is no one really knows. But IVF is very expensive and more often than not is driven by a “lifestyle” choice rather than as a medical procedure.

Do i personally agree with IVF on the NHS, i am ambivalent some people will be mentally happier and feel “complete”, but if you tell me money can be spent on repairing a kids leg after falling out of a tree or on a course of IVF the leg break gets it.

Taxes in the UK are first world low, something i know many deny, and i would argue that what is crippling the UK is over priced houses that mean money can’t be used for productive spend, and i do include taxes in this. If you want a decent medical system it costs, if you want good education it costs, if you want infrastructure it costs.

mrmo
    Free Member

All be it a large print edition

No chance, my eyes are too crap for large print to be an option. I just accept i get shafted buying glasses every few years.

DickBarton

Im on free prescriptions due to type 1 diabetes but anything non diabetes I happily pay for. Been wearing specs for almost 30 years, specs ain’t cheap but I much prefer paying than the free choices from when I wur a lad!

bigrich

My woman paid several hundred dollars for NHS style bins. I couldn’t believe it. apparently they at trendy.

When asked my opinion in the opticians, I just said “in my day we’d have thrown then on the roof and pushed you in the mud.”

trailmoggy
    Free Member

I need inhalers for asthma and I can garantee every time I go to collect my prescription I’m the only one that pays, there are druggys in their collecting methadone, lazy fat benefit scrounges getting god knows how many tables mainly because thy are fat and lazy…..and I work, pay tax and most probably have less spare money than these lot yet I have to pay and they don’t…..it even winds my doctor up.

iainc

free prescriptions ? that’s been the case for years here in Scotland for all !

totalshell

what do the indian railways walmart and the peoples republic of China’s army have in common.. they are the only groups that employ more people than the NHS..

getting rid of a few hangers on might make prescriptions cheaper..

practically though why can you get medecine on the nhs when its cheaper to but in a supermarket .. why can you get gluten free bread on the nhs? why can you get skin moisturiser (E45) on the nhs why can you get cotton buds on the nhs

i ve a lot to be grateful for to the nhs but being a heavy user i see so many people who wouldnt get work elsewhere and are the overstaffing in clinics is gobsmaking.. in my IBS clinic 1 dr 5 nurses for a morning session on the cardiac ward 1 dr 1 nurse 1 trainee nurse for the whole shift on sunday..

shifter
    Free Member

bigrich – Member
    My woman paid several hundred dollars for NHS style bins. I couldn’t believe it. apparently they at trendy.

When asked my opinion in the opticians, I just said “in my day we’d have thrown then on the roof and pushed you in the mud.”

Nice. I hope someone having their “day” now doesn’t do that to “your woman”.

donsimon
    Free Member

Nice. I hope someone having their “day” now doesn’t do that to “your woman”.

Lost in translation?

shifter
    Free Member

bigrich – Member

In fact, why don’t you show “your woman” how tough you are by doing it, to her? eh?

Can anyone tell what I used to wear at school? 😯 🙂

mrmo
    Free Member

what do the indian railways walmart and the peoples republic of China’s army have in common.. they are the only groups that employ more people than the NHS..

feel free to believe the propaganda.

the worlds biggest employers

aP
    Free Member

maccruiskeen – Member
    aP – Member
    POSTED 1 HOUR AGO #
    Consider that a blessing the vast majority of the cost and care most people get from the nhs is in the fortnight before you die. If you don’t feel you are getting much value from them just now then you can at least confidently start reading a new book. All be it a large print edition

Patronising ****.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Glasses on the NHS! Makes me mad.’ is closed to new replies.