Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • glass wall advice?
  • gaffertape
    Free Member

I’m looking at knocking down the wall between our living room and lounge, adding a beam for support, and then having a glass wall with door. Pit falls? Building regs issues?

I don’t want anything on the glass, just clear and I want it all frameless and sleek. It looks like the only people supplying this are office partition fitters, and it’s very difficult getting a ball park price without a site visit which is tricky because I have not made the opening yet. I found https://www.glassatwork.co.uk/frameless-single-glazed-glass-office-partitioning-p-16.html which suggests about £2200 fitted but it’s saying you have to have a film (some dots on the glass) for building regs. Anyone else done this on here?

MrNice
    Free Member

if you do do it will you promise to post videos of drunks, small children and dogs walking into it in a comical (and not at all staged) manner?

johndoh
    Free Member

Put the dots on (if they are needed for domestic building regs – you can check this with your local council planning dept).

Then simply remove them once you have the work passed.

But – do you even need to get building regs for interior changes???????

IA

But – do you even need to get building regs for interior changes

Will do for removing the wall I think? Building control not planning:

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/commonprojects/internalwalls/

fongsaiyuk
    Free Member

I did this in our old house using 10mm toughened glass set into ally channels in wall and floor and a slot in the ceiling so all top fittings were in the void between first floor joists

Depending on your situation you may need to use fire rated glass ( if you have aloft conversion ) which then becomes mega money

check with local building control as too what regs they will req

cant comment on costs as mine was done on the cheap as I have good trade contacts – all in about 1500£ materials – installed myself

TPTcruiser

+1 MrNice
    The dots are there for a reason.
    Toughening or laminating to ensure safety.
    That will be quite a weight of glass concentrated along a thin line so a “frame” may be still there but invisible.
    UK Glass used to do some challenging domestic work.

matt_outandabout

Thank you OP and fongsaiyuk – I just realised something clever we could do In our house..

ciron
    Free Member

Check through Part B Means of Escape carefully before you go any further. That will tell you whether it needs to be fire rated, which will make a huge difference in cost and compliance with building regs.

davosaurusrex

The only way to get a decent pay rise is to change companies. Next!

mrben100
    Free Member

I don’t think manifestations on glass is a requirement in the regs for dwellings. Formerly in Part N of the regs (pre-April 2013), now in part K.

wwaswas

manifestations on glass

that sounds a bit spooky 🙂

fionap

Manifestation requirement applies to non-domestic buildings only. But you’ve got to think about the likelihood of children running into it, visitors etc not being familiar with your house walking into it.

Also try Planet Partitions and IQ Glass for quotes.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘glass wall advice?’ is closed to new replies.