Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Glasgowlians – Where to ride tonight
  • thestabiliser
    Free Member

Am in (well in the outskirts) of Glasgow for work, staying at the strathclyde country park and have the mincetank with me, (for Ae on the way home tomorrow, really) but thinking about a scoot out tonight, options thus far:

LOCAL
    Whitelees – spin round the fireroads and lap or two of the mtb trails (short drive)
    Cathkin Braes – couple of laps (short drive)
    Clyde walk and over larkhall to avon walk back (no drive)
    GO BIG
    Trossochs – recommend me a route
    Carron Valley

What else in the Tuesday night bank?

legend
    Free Member

The only one you mention there that isn’t really boring would be the Trossachs (Aberfoyle) but it’s pretty wild to ride there on your own.

Dumyat would be the winner for me.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I’d go for cathkin braes.

lap or two of the mtb trails

mmm not sure I would say ‘trails’ and you’ll be bored after ‘lap’ 1.

Could drive to kilmarnock and ride the trails at Craufurdland – it would be a rare opportunity to ride them when they’re dry. Although rain is forecast for late afternoon.

BoardinBob

As above, Dumyat

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

Dumyat
    Cambusbarron/North Third
    Kirkpatrick Hills
    Mugduck country park

Where you are I would rather go to Cathkin braes for a couple of laps than driving to Carron Valley.

I’ve not been to Chalterhault for a while- but used to be ok for a scoot aboot.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Round the loch to the watersports centre there is a cycle track to Chatelherault. You can spin round Chatters or follow the clyde walkway along to Cambusnethan Priory / Mauldslie woods.

Search Strava for segments named Princess Fiona and / or Far, Far Away
    for some downhill jumpy singletrack action.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

The watersports centre

Pervert

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Well, ignoring all of your suggestions I’m reckoning – Aberfoyle – up the forest drive and back via Rob Roy Way as a chance to get out and see some ‘real’ Scotchland, are the biters out yet?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Could drive to kilmarnock and ride the trails at Craufurdland – it would be a rare opportunity to ride them when they’re dry. Although rain is forecast for late afternoon.

Craufurdland?

Do you not like the OP? 😆

perchypanther
    Free Member

are the biters out yet?

Given that I resemble a leopard* between my ankles and my knees then, yes.

* not actually a bad look for a panther as it goes.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Aberfoyle – up the forest drive and back via Rob Roy Way as a chance to get out and see some ‘real’ Scotchland, are the biters out yet?

Yeh that’s a nice option for a potter about. Might be a bit of a dreich slog in the rain though.

perchypanther
    Free Member

You could head up to Motherwell and catch some actual live honest to goodness bike racing tonight ….

http://www.tourseries.co.uk/venues/motherwell/11798.php#.VzWagdQrLs0

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Ooooh, “Hospitality opens 17:00” I’m there!

legend
    Free Member

thestabiliser – Member

Well, ignoring all of your suggestions I’m reckoning – Aberfoyle – up the forest drive and back via Rob Roy Way as a chance to get out and see some ‘real’ Scotchland, are the biters out yet?

Are you just looking for a pedal around rather than something to use your gnar-poon on?

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Well, will be stretching schralp-ceps tomorrow but aye not too bothered about sickening my rads

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Park at Drymen, out the WHW and over Conic hill and back.

rosscopeco
    Free Member

Park at Drymen, out the WHW and over Conic hill and back.

This

Or, do ‘man grunt’ which takes you from Drymen up through Queen Bettys forest, behind the Ben and back along the WHW…it’s a good 4.5hrs though….and the biters are oot in force along the Westie.

Mugdock is good too but some local knowledge is really required to get the best from it. I’d happily join you but we’re all going to the pub to talk about our pending Le Man trip in 4 weeks time! 😀

Seriously…ping me a PM and I’ll send you my strava details for some trails in and around Mugdock etc. Did a nice 2hr 15mile loop this morning…rain is coming though.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Cheers Rossco – think i’m wavering between QE forest park and a local spin and the tour series

iainc

or join the GMBC Tuesday bunch at Mugdock – trails are dry and riding as good as they ever do, might be raining later though…..

GMBC

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Well, many thanks all, had a belting neet oot. If any of you were the dude with the fat bike and trail dog, howdo again. Perchy, that’s a magic little trail, good shout.

Check out my 22.8 km Ride on Strava: https://www.strava.com/activities/579465680

perchypanther
    Free Member

Glad you enjoyed it. I live about ten minutes ride from the top of Princess Fiona. The trails further along the Clyde from there are better though.
    Not bad for a shithole of a town eh?

Did you make it to the Pearl Izumi tour?

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Aye tour race was also good. Winner winner chicken dinner.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Glasgowlians – Where to ride tonight’ is closed to new replies.