Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Glasgow to Leeds by car – A66/Scotch Corner or M6/A65?
  • chief1409
    Free Member

Driving down to Leeds tomorrow evening, leaving Glasgow at 4pm(ish). Google maps reckons same time for either route and distance is comparable.

Anyone got any opinions on which route is best/quickest/least likely to encounter delays?

hodgynd
    Free Member

I would go A66..its dualled most of the way ..

martinhutch

A66 would be my instinct. A65 is a PITA…

Pyro

Depends where in Leeds you’re going!

If you’re aiming for Headingley and that side, use the A65. If you’re headed to the city centre, A66-A1 and in from that side. Mainly just because the City Centre loop is a massive PITA.

I live and work in Leeds but drive up to my folks near Carlisle regularly. From work (Moortown) it’s easiest to go A1-A66 headed north, but coming home it’s easier to do M6-A65. Both have their good and bad bits – the single carriageway sections of the 66 can be a mare if you’re stuck behind something slow.

soulrider
    Free Member

A66 is pretty good and now most of the A1 work south of Scotch Corner is completed and it is 3 lane motorway from there in.

Your other option is M6/M65/M60/M62/M621 if you are close to rush hour seriously do not bother. the M6 from Lancaster onwards to the M621 is a nightmare around rush hour.

allfankledup

It depends on if you need to stop at Tebay for a pie, herdy mug or jar of Mr Vikkis….

firestarter
    Free Member

A66 all day long. I live in Leeds and avoid the a65 whenever possible

maccruiskeen

There were roadworks stopping you turning south onto the A1 from the Scotch Corner roundabout when I was in the area a few days ago – might be worth checking ahead that theres no planned evening / night closures planned.

Gary_M
    Free Member

A66, we do that journey a lot. M6 takes a lot longer.

There we’re roadworks stopping you turning south onto the A1 from the Scotch Corner

Was that after 8pm?

maccruiskeen

Was that after 8pm?

probably. There were warnings about it on the M6 though – so if you were going to be effected you’d know about it before you turned on the A66

Gary_M
    Free Member

The diversion isn’t that bad anyway.

tomhoward

It depends on if you need to stop at Tebay for a pie, herdy mug or jar of Mr Vikkis….

This is my only consideration

chief1409
    Free Member

D’oh! Heading near to Leeds Airport but forgot to write that in my rush to post original question!

andy8442
    Free Member

M6, A65. Lovely drive, and by the time you get to the A65 it will be quiet.

Larry_Lamb
    Free Member

By the time you hit either it’ll be quiet so then its pot luck as to accidents, cant judge it on scenic either because it’ll be dark.

65 can be a nightmare in the daytime due to winding singletrack road, 66 is more dual carriageway.

For ease of driving I’d say M6/A66/A1 is more cruise control road friendly.

ahsat

I live near the airport and we’d always come back from that direction along the A65 as otherwise it’s a haul round Leeds.

whitestone
    Free Member

You can still get your Tebay fix by taking the next exit (Tebay appropriately enough) then picking up the A66 at Brough.

When we lived in the North York Moors it was an hour quicker to get to the South Lakes by going up to Guisborough then Scotch Corner, Brough, Tebay than going via the A65.

chief1409
    Free Member

Ta much folks. Good mix of answers there so I’m none the wiser! Will make a decision based on planned roadworks and traffic reports tomorrow.

martinhutch

Airport is basically Otley, so tips it in favour of the 65, but only just.

allthegear
    Free Member

I used to live in Yeadon (near airport). I’d go A66, A1, off at A59 and follow A658 down to Airport.

Rachel

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

A65 – it’s what I always used to use… just get your times right and the traffic isn’t too bad 😉

I was usually only going as far as Bingley/Haworth mind back when I was living up there, but even from South Cumbria over to Leeds it was the A65 (although on a Speed Triple traffic wasn’t such an issue…)

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Tebay pfffffft …….Cranstons Penrith just off Junction 40 M6, 3 metres of Cumberland sausage for 15 quid full range of Mr Vikkis pastes and sauces, once visited never forgotten.

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

I’d go A66, A1, off at A59 and follow A658 down to Airport.

This is the route I’d take also. It can get busy heading through Pool in Wharfedale (especially from the Harrogate side) but at the time you’ll be arriving it’ll be quiet.

john_drummer
    Free Member

Yeah Pool Bank can get busy in rush hour but at other times should be fine. Leave A1 at Leeds-Bradford airport sign, I think it’s J47, A59 as mentioned above

Pyro

At the time you mentioned, M6-A65 will be absolutely fine.

You’ll be hitting Pool Bank at c. 8pm, so it’ll be fine.

allfankledup

Tebay pfffffft …….Cranstons Penrith just off Junction 40 M6, 3 metres of Cumberland sausage for 15 quid full range of Mr Vikkis pastes and sauces, once visited never forgotten.

ta – will give it a bash

Gary_M
    Free Member

Ta much folks. Good mix of answers there so I’m none the wiser! Will make a decision based on planned roadworks and traffic reports tomorrow.

I’ve been driving Glasgow to Wetherby since the late 80’s and I’ve only ever gone M6 a couple times due to A66 being closed. It’s not an option I would choose though. We often go to the airport from Wetherby and it’s a quick drive.

Leaving Glasgow at 4pm means you’re going to hit heavy traffic on the a65 I’d have thought.

downhillfast
    Free Member

Let us know how you got on.
    Last time I did that journey (about a month ago) the A66/A1 at Scotch corner was closed for night roadworks with a frankly ridiculous diversion in place.
    I ended up country laning it and going via Richmond to join the A1 further down.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Glasgow to Leeds by car – A66/Scotch Corner or M6/A65?’ is closed to new replies.