• This topic has 15 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by iainc.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Glasgow things to do? Glentress
  • robidoo
    Free Member

Off up to Glasgow for a few days to see the world gymnastics comp, what would you recomend we visit while there?
    We have our 12 year old with us so something interesting for her would be great.
    I am probably going to slope off to Glentress one day, whats the best way to get there ? As the route planner takes me over to Edinburgh then heads down to GT and says an hour and half travelling time.
    Cheers.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

That’s about right for Travelling. But there is plenty of riding elsewhere nearby if you don’t mind a bit navigation.
    Look up:
    Mugdock Park
    Cathkin Braes (a bit short but much closer) but waymarked trails from CommyGames 2014
    Campsie Fells
    Stirling Area – Bridge of Allan
    Callendar PArk – in Falkirk
    Carron Valley – again a bit short but can be extended.

What are you looking for – Trail Centre or natural?

legend
    Free Member

Edinburgh and down will probably be fine (and is an easy drive) unless you’re hitting rush hour. My normal way is off the M8 at Chapelhall then through Carluke, Carnwath, etc along the back roads. Much shorter but only really takes 10 mins or so off the time.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    robidoo
    Free Member

Thanks for the replys, should have said I will be hiring a bike so was thinking GT, any touristy things to visit in Glasgow that you would recomend?

perchypanther
    Free Member

any touristy things to visit in Glasgow that you would recomend?

Queen St Station for the train to Edinburgh? 😀

or the Science centre… or Kelvingrove Museum.. or just go a wander round the city. It’s a lot nicer than you probably imagine it to be.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Transport Museum.

As for getting to GT I always went down the M74 to Abington Services then across to Peebles via Biggar

Yes it’s longer, but it always made for a much faster journey than any of the other options for me in the 1200 or so times that I had to commute from Inners and Glasgow.

Northwind

I’d usually cut off the M8 and use the A73 then A721, it should take about the same time but it’s shorter and more interesting. Though, some folks might prefer the motorway bash o’course

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Try Comrie Croft – you can hire bikes there, no cafe at this time of year but there trails are very good with the added benefit of excellent views, mainly because it is not all hidden away in a forest. About 1 hr by car.

http://www.comriecroftbikes.co.uk/

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Get a demo from alpine bikes or dales, drive 30 minutes north to Dumyat/mine woods/kippenrait glen.

email in profile if you want a GPX.

lovewookie

You could always hire one of the fat bike fleet at Mugdock Country Cycles and go for a scoot around mugdock.

here they are

squirrelking
    Free Member

Transport Museum.

Or if you actually want to SEE anything, Summerlee.

There’s apparantly an exhibition of Victorian fashion on at the Kelvingrove Museum.

cbike
    Free Member

Hire a Tandem and go exploring with your daughter while mum checks out Buchanan street and Princes square?

The transport museum is ok but means more to the locals than visitors. 12 year old girl might be bored??

http://www.cosybike.co.uk
    http://www.sharmanka.com
    Go ape at Aberfoyle.
    Loch Lomond is not far – mailboat to inchcailloch, and lunch at the oak tree inn is a good family favorite.

iainc

+1 for the Mugdock Country Cycles hire bike – Keith in the shop will sort you out with route maps etc as well.

seosamh77
    Free Member

iainc – Member
    +1 for the Mugdock Country Cycles hire bike – Keith in the shop will sort you out with route maps etc as well.

Are those just of all the main tracks?

This thread reminds me, I’ve not actually be out to mugdock for about 2 years! will need to start taking a wander up again!

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

Glasgow museums are all free, unlike the robbing barstewards in the land of ‘you’ll have had your tea then’ and they’re all child friendly with plenty to see and do. Kelvingrove, GoMA and the Transport Museum are great for spending a few hours.

Some great riding in the Kilpatrick hills 20 mins from the Centre.

iainc

seosamh77 – Member
    iainc – Member
    Are those just of all the main tracks?
    This thread reminds me, I’ve not actually be out to mugdock for about 2 years! will need to start taking a wander up again!

not just the main tracks, but maybe not all the tasty stuff 🙂

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Glasgow things to do? Glentress’ is closed to new replies.