Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Glasgow MTB routes
  • steveoath
    Free Member

Hi folks, I’ve recently rediscovered the joys of the mountain bike after 12 years as a roadie! But I now realise I need some pointers regarding routes/trails near Glasgow. I’ve been down to the tweed valley to ride at the 7stanes centres and also did the short drive to Carron Valley trails. Can anyone reccomend routes a bit closer to Glasgow?

Also, I’m trying to teach/coach ‘er indoors so could you recommend routes that are quite easy for a beginner and some that are more technical (when I’m out myself)?

Thanks,
    Steve

GHill

Plenty of trails round Mugdock, just need some local knowledge to find them. There’s some OK stuff in Pollock Park if you’re on the south side, but it’s not worth traveling far for.

Glasgow Mountain Bike Club are often out round Mugdock and other local trails, if you fancy some local guidance (disclaimer, I’m a GMBC member). There’s a beginner’s ride tonight, or standard club ride on Sunday at 9.

coffeeking
    Free Member

There’s a few around mugdock that would suit you nicely, it’s my usual haunt (though I don’t claim to know all the routes). Drop me an email if you fancy a tootle some time, but I need a bit of warning and you’re undoubtedly a LOT fitter than I!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    seosamh77
    Free Member

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/27126908

That’ll get you started in mugdock..still to find half the stuff myself..

wallace1492
    Free Member

Meet Up GroupThere is also a super friendly bunch at Mountain Bike Glasgow – Meet Up Group, suitable for beginners and those returning to cycling. Very easy going, all free, just like minded people enjoying a trip on 2 wheels. We ride mainly Mugdock/Carglas/Carbeth but also do rides all over central Scotland and beyond. Nice and easy paced rides, usually 3 or 4 a week.

fergal
    Free Member

Arrochar alps? to far.

iainc

crackin couple of hour blast round Mugdock tonight – trails were in great nick, almost no mud, and no rain at all. Back to the club hall for tea and homemade cake too 😆

As said earlier, look up GMBC, we ride Tue and Wed, and Sun mornings too 🙂

giantalkali
    Free Member

dammit, i missed this eve’s ride due to work nonsense, but a +1 for GMBCs mugdock rides, excellent trails hidden away that you’d need a helping hand to find.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I wish I did but I just don’t enjoy riding in large groups! It might get me out more often lol.

iainc

coffeeking – only 7 of us out last night !

tootallpaul

I’m also interested in this- I’ll be moving to Glasgow in August…

It’s going to be a big change after nearly 2 years in Ethiopia!

:o)

hainman
    Free Member

very true tootallpaul,mtb’n wae yer whellie’s on haha

dancingfool
    Free Member

where is Carglas? is it the bit down the botton on the WHW?

craig1975
    Free Member

+1 for glasgow meetup

heuer27
    Free Member

You can start at Mugdock head onto the WHW turn off, head over Milngavie Golf course into Craigton village. Then over the Judges wig footpath to Cochno Road and head up to the Greenside loch via the waterworks path and eventually out to the Queens view and back via the west Highland way.
    That could be two or three rides rolled into one and you could split it up to suit your better halfs fitness level.

I’m sure this ride was featured in one of the mags last year.

wallace1492
    Free Member

Over the Kilpatricks a few weeks ago, and over the top from Burncrooks to Humphrey was brutal – no paths at all, just large boggy tussocks and a lot of hikey-bikey. The bits either end were good fun, but over the middle was a real dissappointment. Still to do the Whangie, maybe next week after the Etape!

pistola
    Free Member

Wallace,

The route between Humphrey and Burncrooks is 99% rideable, albeit in that direction only. Only the burn crossing at the SW end of Burncrooks Reservoir is where you have to dismount. I’ve been doing it for 22 years now.

The Whangie is one best left to after a bit of a dry spell though – much more fun.

wallace1492
    Free Member

We took off cross country from before the Dam at Burncrooks, tried to follow a quad bike trail, but it petered out and went in wrong direction. We then just headed as best we could for the back of Duncolm and got onto path there to Humphry, which was actually pretty good. From there along the ridge to Greenside, followed by a narrow path along a cliff to the Greeny dam, down to Cochno, and back to Craigtoun Village via the Snab.

wallace1492
    Free Member

Pistola what route would you recomend for the Whangie, so that it was a circular?

drslow
    Free Member

Just found this thread. If you go to mapmyride.com i and search for kilpatrick hills ive made my routes up there public. Hopefully they’ll be of some use.

downshep

Been riding the Kilpatrick Braes / Loch Humphrey / Overtoun side of the Kilpatricks for years but never linked up with the Queen’s View side. Does the route from Humphrey to Burncrooks follow the wall on the north side of Duncolm? The path there looks like a bogfest. If rideable, a loop back to Cochno Loch and the Slacks looks quite promising if the reservoir tracks are linked by smaller paths. Can’t see on Google Earth due to the trees.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Glasgow MTB routes’ is closed to new replies.