Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Glasgow for a day- Rides from the city centre?
  • DanW
    Free Member

Hi all,

I will be working in Glasgow in a week or two and am thinking it must be a good excuse to take the bike. Flying up and working in the city centre so that means no car and rides straight out the front door would be ideal (especially thinking about fitting it around the work too).

It doesn’t need to be anything crazy but a few hours XC mincing could be good 😀

I have got as far as thinking about riding the Commonwealth games course just to say I’ve seen it but haven’t gotten much further than that? As far as I can tell there is a bike path from the city centre to Catkin Braes too???? Anywhere nearby to add in to a loop or forget it altogether and head a different direction?

Any advice from the locals much appreciated!

DanW

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Train out to somewhere not too far, loads of options, train back. Cathkin braes is only 20 minutes round, and pretty dung.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Train or bike to Milngavie and ride mugdock, train to old kilpatrick and explore the slacks, train to bridge of allan and head up dumyat, mine woods, kippenrait glen. Or tag along with meetup, aberfoyle trail tramps , gmbc, for lifts to more interesting places

DanW
    Free Member

Fair enough. Are the trains bike friendly like the the Valleys of South Wales (easy going don’t give a monkeys if you are covered in mud) or a massive PITA like the South West (2 bikes max even and both need reservations- no exceptions!)

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Trains are fine.

eat_more_cheese
    Free Member

Yeah, wouldn’t recommend city centre to Cathkin unless you know where to go. There’s always an option to go ncr7 to pollock park, over to Linn Park then up to Cathkin-all have ‘hidden’ mtb trails that a bit of Strava’ing will help you find. Otherwise there’s Kelvin Walkway up to Mugdock Park (Milngavie) but requires some road miles to get there.

iainc

Cathkin is actually OK despite what some say. 20 mins quoted above is a decent lap, probably will be closer to 30 first few times round. It isn’t somewhere that I’d ride solo on a warm summers evening tho… and I’m only a sub 10 min drive from the trailhead.

asdfhjkl
    Free Member

Cathkin’s not worth the ride out IMO. Head to Milngavie (pronounced mul-guy). Plenty of options for starting on the West Highland Way then coming back through Mugdock woods.

DanW
    Free Member

Head to Milngavie (pronounced mul-guy). Plenty of options for starting on the West Highland Way then coming back through Mugdock woods.

Seems like a popular option. No problem with some flat miles to head out of town. There seems to be gpx files for the Kelvin Walkway so that part should be fine. From there I’ll just use Strava to explore Mugdock I think.

Thanks everyone 😀

iainc

Dan, Glasgow Mountain Bike Club ride from milngavie on tue and wed evenings and you’d be welcome to join the rides. more info on our website

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Train out to Balloch and then head over some back roads to Balmaha. From there, WHW back to Milngavie. IainC will know better than me but I reckon maybe 4 hrs?.

iainc

Nobeer’s suggestion would be a great day out and quite doable in 4 ish hrs. Not sure from OP if you’re thinking during day or after work ? If you’re on FB have a look at the GMBC page where a lot of last minute stuff goes up – and if you want to post up to see if anyone’s about I’m sure a kind Admin will let you in 😀

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Glasgow for a day- Rides from the city centre?’ is closed to new replies.