Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 100 total)
  • Glasgow-Edinburgh canal ride this Saturday
  • leelovesbikestoo
    Free Member

Any Glasgow folk want to join me on a nice Glasgow-Edinburgh ride using the canal this Saturday?

8am start, lunch/pint in Linlithgow, train back to Glasgow at 4pm-ish.

Let me know if you’re interested, addy in profile.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

don;t forget to take some bricks to throw at the neds in Wester Hailes

coffeeking
    Free Member

Starting where?

leelovesbikestoo
    Free Member

I’m at Finnieston so will probably pick up some bricks at the builders merchants and join it at Maryhill.

If you’re up for it can meet you anywhere west of the M8. Any good early-morning cafes you know of?

coffeeking
    Free Member

Well I’d probably be joining you a little later, just before Kirkintilloch, what sort of pace are we talking?

BoardinBob

I’ve often fancied trying this but I’ve heard some horror stories about the “young teams” hanging about the canal!

leelovesbikestoo
    Free Member

I used to commute along the canal and never had any problems… you get some kids fishing, but they’re harmless and usually friendly. It’s the weekend walkers you have to worry about. Vicious they are.

leelovesbikestoo
    Free Member

I’m on a 32-16 SS so my average is 12.4 mph. Fast enough for you? ;o)

BoardinBob

Any idea of the distance?

coffeeking
    Free Member

I often commute from Kirky to Glas and never have any problems, I dont suspect there’d any more problems when further afield.

I’d almost be willing to make it a return trip but the wind is always a headwind in that direction and I’m not sure my legs would survive. Think its about 50 miles end to end (centre to centre)?

leelovesbikestoo
    Free Member

65 miles ish. Obviously it’s all flat except for a little climb at the Falkirk wheel, and a trip down into and back up from Lithgae.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I stand corrected. Thats a bit longer than I thought, but from mine its only about what I thought which is do-able lol.

leelovesbikestoo
    Free Member

Exactly King. I’m keeping an eye on wind direction as there was an odd easterly today. If it stays like this I may well chance an Edinburgh-to-Glasgow trip!

leelovesbikestoo
    Free Member

Don’t quote me on that, it’s just a guestimate.

BoardinBob

Aye I’m up for this.

I’ll drop you an email.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Presuming you branch off the forth and clyde nearer Ed though as it ends at grangemouth IIRC? And is only 35 miles long in total, so there must be an extra bit somewhere lol.

I’m in, providing no-ones a racing snake or in a rush?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

coffeking – at falkirk you join the union canal to Edinburgh

leelovesbikestoo
    Free Member

King, you join the Union canal at the Falkirk Wheel (there’s a footpath joining the two via a tunnel), then next stop Lithgae, then Edinburgh.

No, like I said I’m SSing so I spin out at 12mph :o)

As long as I’m back for 6-ish for the good lady I have all day.

BoardinBob

I’d appreciate a leisurely enjoyable pace rather than a race.

Weather looks great! Pack your sunscreen

http://www.google.co.uk/search?source=ig&hl=en&rlz=1G1GGLQ_ENUK324&q=weather+glasgow&meta=lr%3D

cynic-al
    Free Member

Could you do it on a road bike?

coffeeking
    Free Member

Thanks all, that clears it up!

Spinning out at 12 – hmm tats gonna be one long day in the saddle!

cynic – while I’ve only done part of it I reckon it could be done on a road bike. It’s not massively rough, like hard-pack porridge with the odd bit you may have to navigate carefully around bridges, nothing worse than roads I dont think! However you may be really dawdling on a road bike, might be almost too slow ?

leelovesbikestoo
    Free Member

The worst bit I think is between Maryhill and Cumbernauld, after that the paths are quite good. Oh, it’s because you’re getting nearer to edinburgh? ;o)

A road bike with 30s would be ok I’d reckon.

King, I’ve never topped an average of 14mph on the canal anyway, so for me it’s nearly perfect!

BoardinBob

Spinning out at 12 – hmm tats gonna be one long day in the saddle!

Are you not on and off the bike as you encounter the locks anyway?

leelovesbikestoo
    Free Member

No, there’s a knack of negotiating the pedestrian gates without getting off, but yeah it slows you down.

Offroading
    Free Member

Are you doing Edinburgh to Glasgow or Glasgow to Edinburgh then ?

Im in Edinburgh ive cycled the canal to Glasgow before and its great – but i race’d along it.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Ah ok I was averaging 16 on the canal last year commuting, but I am on full gears rigid and slicks. Not sure I’ll be that fast now. I’ll mull it over and reply tonight for definite, but it sounds like a good excuse to get out, it’s just writing off an entire day which is difficult for me at the moment.

BoardinBob

I’ll be bringing the 31lb full susser. 😆

Total overkill and it’s not needed but I need to get used to long rides on it so this should be perfect.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Tempted to bring my full sus now 🙁 No, no need for extra pain 😀

leelovesbikestoo
    Free Member

Hmm I may put on my Rebas then… don’t want to feel left out 🙄

BoardinBob

To be honest, the brakes on my HT SS are playing up and I won’t get a chance to tinker with them so I’ve got no choice but to bring the FS 🙁

druidh
    Free Member

Al – I’ve done this route on my Sutra. Apart from a couple of cobbled areas, it’s fine. The worst case is that it’s been raining beforehand as the cinder path gets very s…l…o…w and dirty. It’s easy enough to get onto the canal from Glasgow Queen St, just head past Dales and under the M8. Take a couple of spare inner tubes. If the lights in the Falkirk Tunnel are out, a small torch will also be very handy.

leelovesbikestoo
    Free Member

I tend to leave the canal at that point and use the short road section to avoid the tunnel; dark, wet, off-camber cobbled towpaths with no barriers kinda worry me 😆

Yes, if it’s been raining the path can get slow and gritty. It’s much more fun in the dry.

druidh
    Free Member

There’s a barrier (of sorts) the length of the tunnel. Horrid doing it in the dark though.

coffeeking
    Free Member

By the time you get to kirky it’ll be 9ish, there must be some cafes open there/then?

leelovesbikestoo
    Free Member

I’m not familiar with Kirkintilloch – can you just hop off the canal?

We’ll be nicely warmed up by then!

leelovesbikestoo
    Free Member

Ah no wonder I’ve never seen a barrier. I used to ride it with no lights 🙄

Xan
    Free Member

Would love to join you but got a stag doo this weekend.

I do about 25 milies along the path on a regular basis mainly from Bishopbriggs to Clydebank/Bowling and back plus 3.2 miles each way on the road to my house.

Never had any problems, well apart from one ned that was jumping infront of cyclists and playing chicken with them. He was winning till he met me where I sped up lol. Was so funny.

I agree with the start in Glasgow and head towards Edinburgh. The wind tends to go into your face when you head the other way. Well apart from Monday when it decided to turn. If anyone is interested in making this a regular trip let me know. Been doing this for a month or two once a week and reaaly enjoy it. Good way to build up the miles if you are training for a long distances.

bumbly1
    Free Member

It is about 65 miles in total from the basin at Maryhill to Lochrin Basin Edinburgh. There is an annual charity ride for the Dogs for the Blind which we have done. Should be easily done on a road bike from a terrain standpoint however may encounter the odd bit of broken glass. Wind is a factor to consider iirc 😉 Good luck.

Tom

Xan
    Free Member

Ps the stables in Kirky is really nice for a pint or 2 but its realativly near where you would start.

If you do Bishopbrigs sports centre to Edingburgh you wont be far off the 60 miles mark.

ml
    Free Member

Hello Mr LeeLovesBikesToo! I wondered when we’d bump into each other on here. I’m counting lengths at a swimming pool on Saturday morning, but if you fire me your mobile number (email in profile) I’ll try to catch you at Lochrin Basin. Enjoy the ride, should be fun.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 100 total)

The topic ‘Glasgow-Edinburgh canal ride this Saturday’ is closed to new replies.