Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 70 total)
  • Giving your 3 year old son a wrist tag so you know where he is. Discuss
  • brooess
    Free Member

Guy at work told us this morning he puts a wrist tag on his son when they go out – an alarm goes off when the kid walks a given distance away from his parent.

I'm not a parent myself so hard to judge how I'd feel but I am a godfather and uncle and have been in situations where the safety of a child has been in my hands. But frankly this strikes me as deeply unhealthy behaviour,and slightly scary, for both the child and the parents. Walking ourselves into the world of George Orwell comes to mind.

Or would I feel differently if I was a father?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Loads of kids round my way wear ankle tags.

wwaswas

not really a substitute for 'keeping an eye on your child' as far as I can see.

Does the alarm go off on the kid or the parent (or both)? I could see my two having hours of fun with that game!

uplink
    Free Member

I'd just use my eyes to figure out where they are

At that age you don't let them out of your sight or you keep hold of them

allthepies
    Free Member

"won't someone please think of the children"

Spongebob
    Free Member

A useful safeguard for parents who are concerned about the one rare moment when the child suddenly disappears. I don't think any sane parent would ever substitute technology for their own childminding duties.

Orwellian?? Please!

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Like what uplink says. Sounds like parental laziness to me.

ski
    Free Member

Will not stop them getting into trouble, or hurting themselves will it?

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

Agree with uplink – the tag thing seems wrong on so many levels to me, FFS do what youre supposed to do and keep an eye on your kids. Also, I know that horrible things do happen, but dont allow yourself to believe everything the media tells you, give your kids at least some chance of a 'normal' life.

iDave
    Free Member

does it point out where they are? if they're almost out of sight in a lot of situations it could be kinda hard working out where they are. seems like marketing based on daily mail fear in gullible lazy ****.

jon1973
    Free Member

Loads of kids round my way wear ankle tags.

They're probably on ASBO's

Woody
    Free Member

A wrist tag sounds like luxury to me. When I was that age my Mother used to have me on 'reins' ie. a harness with about 10 ft of slack, as I had a habit of running the moment I saw anything of interest

Seved me being hit by cars several times apparently 😯

wwaswas

well woody, this doesn't stop your child being hit by a car but an alarm goes off if the vehicle drags them too far away before it stops.

Woody
    Free Member

PML @ jon1973

elaineanne
    Free Member

yep me too i used to have a harness/reins for my son when he was little, its so easy for the child to get distracted whilst out shopping ..then if you dont have proper hold of them -they are gone out of your sight within a blink of a second… does mothercare not do body harness these days ? its the right way to go !!!!! then you have control at all times !

grumm
    Free Member

But frankly this strikes me as deeply unhealthy behaviour,and slightly scary, for both the child and the parents. Walking ourselves into the world of George Orwell comes to mind.

Or would I feel differently if I was a father?

Totally agree – you might feel differently if you were a father, but only because then the constant fear-mongering we are exposed to might have more effective hooks to grab you with.

How sad.

roper
    Free Member

The way my boy was this morning I would rather a warning when he is within a certain distance. 😈

Junkyard
    Free Member

if you need a tag and alarm to tell you where you three year old child is that is a serious fail in your parental duties – can you not just look after them yourself?
    Father of a three year old

I cant decide if the other parent is lazy or paranoid.

Marmoset
    Free Member

Lol @ Roper – I think I know what you mean.

The wrist tag sounds bit like lazy parenting insofar as, pointed out above, it won't stop any incidents happening – you have to be pretty proactive with little ones, not reactive…

alpin
    Free Member

i always think of those that have their kids on a leash as being better off with a dog.

it just strikes me as shit parenting.

chakaping
    Free Member

They're probably on ASBO's

I think that was what he meant.

To the OP – I wouldn't get one of these myself, but in the future kids will probably all be fitted with GPS chips when they're born.

Mark my words.

alpin
    Free Member

oh, and….

🙄 @ jon1973

brooess
    Free Member

@ junkyard. With this guy I think it's more a fear of not being a good enough parent. Using technology to achieve something he's scared he'll fail to do on his own. Bit like us insisting on thinking we need full suss to ride anything technical I guess 😉

leffeboy

I don't think it's lazy in itself but there is a big risk that you would start to rely on it rather than keeping an eye on your son and then when it goes off you wouldn't have a clue which direction to head in. I wouldn't

It's a bit like going faster on a bike than you can handle because you are wearing body armor and helmet(leaves can of worms open and runs…)

(edit – took too long writing that I see)

ski
    Free Member

Another use for the kid leash:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtMRddAIHx0

😉

barca1
    Free Member

Is it possible to have a wrist tag with alarm if one of the things comes within a certain distance of me? I'd be the first in the queue for one.

I'm very aware that I was once one of them but happily I grew out of it.

jobbyheid
    Free Member

does the alarm go off when the infant starts playing with knives, kettle, moving cars, etc…

wwaswas

makes a change from trying to pick them up and they do that

'make my shoulders narrower than my rib cage'

thing by sticking their arms in the air so you can't carry them.

uplink
    Free Member

I don't think it's lazy in itself

I think it's lazy

but there is a big risk that you would start to rely on it rather than keeping an eye on your son

So what's the point of it if you still need to keep an eye on them?
    Isn't that what it supposed to do – allow you to not keep them 100% in sight?

Ti29er
    Free Member

A different view point:
    If the father is separated from his partner and had a badly fractured relationship with her, if she's all-controlling and has questioned his suitability to look after their child on more than one occation, with a view to probably ceasing visits based on him having a lassie fair approach to his parental style, then I applaud his actions.

Too many malicious, poisonous ex-partners out there (in the UK, mothers typically have custody of the children) trying to find ways of denying fathers from spending loving time with their children.

Sometimes things are not always as they might at first seem.

brooess
    Free Member

@To29er. Actually he's married 🙁

uplink
    Free Member

visits based on him having a lassie fair approach to his parental style, then I applaud his actions.

To me – putting a tag on the kid would make him less suitable to look after it not more.

Ti29er
    Free Member

OK.
    It was worth pointing it out – even if it's not the case here.
    It's very easy to draw conclusions when you only have part of the bigger picture, as I'm sure you'll appreciate.

Uplink's clearly never been in this situation, where if you're seen to stuff up, you might as well kiss goodbye to seeing your child (not kid) for 18 months as a bare minimum. The backlog that Derbyshire CAFCAS are experiencing, for example, and as a direct fallout from Baby P, is 9 months to get a report compiled on a child. I know as a pal is having to endure just this.

I'll get my coat…. 😉

alpin
    Free Member

i've just wasted another 30 minutes of my life on youtube.

the mother doesn't check the irony of her saying "oh look! a doggy"

myfatherwasawolf
    Free Member

alpin – what's the problem with reigns?

I can imagine if you were, for example, in a supermarket with your kid trying to do some shopping, they might be pretty useful. My little sister was insane/hyper and would do a runner at the first opportunity…

alpin
    Free Member

probably because she was on a leash. she was running for freedom.

myfatherwasawolf
    Free Member

She wasn't. I'm just asking….

uplink
    Free Member

I'm betting alpin doesn't have kids here – just a long shot 😉

lister

I've got a 3 year old boy and a very fast 18 month old daughter, never has it crossed my mind to put them on leads, or tag them.
    I happily go round the shops with them both walking with me, it's bloody hard work, but by paying attention to them I can stop them getting too far rom me when they are in a 'lively' frame of mind. (Mind you when they use team work and leg it in opposite directions, it's a different story!)

Some parents don't seem to care about their kids and this tag thing is just another way for them to pretend they are caring when they are just not interested or responsible enough to have mated with another human.

Just watch cars leaving a primary school carpark round here and see how many kids aren't strapped in but will go to casualty wearing Diesel clothes if they are in an accident.

Does my head in.

alpin
    Free Member

you're right, i don't.

and you know i'm right re. the leash……

"here boy!"

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 70 total)

The topic ‘Giving your 3 year old son a wrist tag so you know where he is. Discuss’ is closed to new replies.