Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • giving up the fags tomorrow
  • benji_allen
    Free Member

Sounds like some people are paraphrasing Allen Carr. Which ain't a bad thing. You should read one of his Easyway books. I did. Made quitting a piece of piss.

Went from being a big thing to being one of the easiest things I've ever had to 'struggle' to achieve. Anyone who says quitting smoking is hard, is creating that difficulty in their own mind.

Good luck mate, not that you'll need any.

Ti29er
    Free Member

What's also interesting is if you get hold of a VO peak flow meter (?)
    Peak flow meter
    as a smoker and then 2 weeks later.
    Typically you'll see a 15% improvement. And that's just in 14 days.

robgarrioch

What's your latest, ALAIHW? Still fighting the good fight?

I've just gone my first 24hrs without a smoke in, probably, 15 years or more… Pretty sure I can keep it going, no physical withdrawal symptoms, so far; no lighter or tabs on me, but thinking about it a lot & especially missed one at tea-time this morning. As someone posted earlier, identify & deal with the psychological links…
    Had planned it for early this year, but paying £6 for 20 on Jan 01 was a step too far. Reasons are 50/50 health / desire to stop lining tobacco firms greasy pockets.
    Now to make the 48hr hurdle! (haven't told S.O. yet, couldn't bear the critique if I fail. She should notice by the weekend!)

tracknicko
    Free Member

i quit when i started riding/racing bmx more. anyone that can do 2 or 3 laps of a bmx track while smoking is a god (massive respect for Oggy then!)

made me appreciate the difference like nothing else. good on you tho mate.

freddyg
    Free Member

+1 for the Allen Carr method – in fact it was the STW that introduced it to me almost 3 years ago. I've since introduced it to a dozen of my friends/family and all but two have had the same success as I did. It costs about the same as a packet of tabs

I tried to stop several times – only to get started again by having the odd smoke – thinking it'll be all right and I could stop again. Wrong.

Good luck, you won't regret it.

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

It's important to remember that, due to multi-factoral complexities, people's smoking addictions are hugely individual. What works for one person will be wrong for another. Other people will offer anecdotal advice from their quit experience. Some of it will be relevant to you and some not-so.

It's really useful if you're able to objectively reflect on your addiction and identify the problems you may have once you've quit, then plan for how to deal with them when they arise.

Withdrawal symptoms are what will drive you to lapse in the early stages of abstinence. Physiological nicotine addiction is very real, despite what some people here have suggested. Some quitters have relatively few withdrawal symptoms, others really suffer without some kind of pharmacotherapy. I normally prescribe for a duration of 8-12 weeks, but have continued prescriptions for several months in some cases.

Dealing with that allows you to be able to focus on coping with the psychological components of addiction:

Behavioural
    Habitual
    Social

It's worth considering that tobacco companies rely on this addiction to make money – the sole purpose of a cigarette – and will do anything to manipulate people to continue smoking, including adding particularly harmful chemicals to tobacco in order to increase it's addictive qualities (NB: this applies to all tobacco products, not just tailor-made cigarettes). It's their intention to make it as difficult as possible for you to quit.

lowey

7 Days and counting for me.

Got that much shit on at work that I have simply forgotten about them.

Eating more though. I can almost see my belly getting bigger by the second.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I jacked tabs about 2 or is it 3 years ago now and never looked back.

As I was trying to cut down and I realised that I was wanting to smoke out of habit eg as soon as I left work, with instant coffee or lager (but not proper coffee, tea or bitter or wine) so I avoided instant coffee and lager for a bit.

I then realised that a certain set of traffic lights on the way to work were a trigger for me to spark up so i just avoided them and drove a different way instead.

Recognise your triggers that make you smoke be it food, drink, people, situations and AVOID them for 3 month.

Good luck all.

robgarrioch

I can't avoid food, drink, people or situations for 3 months! Doomed! 🙂

Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘giving up the fags tomorrow’ is closed to new replies.