Viewing 16 posts - 81 through 96 (of 96 total)
  • giving up smoking tonight
  • captainsasquatch
    Free Member

You should be 24 hours into the process and have done the full cycle of things in a day.
    Got up, had breakfast, lunch and dinner, a bit of stress for added interest and you’ve survived it. You’ve proved to yourself that you don’t need a fag to make the morning coffee taste better, conversations during the day were not less interesting because you didn’t have a fag, the mardy ex is still the same, even without a fag.
    Fags don’t add anything to your life. They don’t help you focus and they don’t help you relax (they can’t do both).
    You’ve done a full day, you can now face anything without a ciggy and the world won’t stop spinning.
    Good on you.

shermer75
    Free Member

You should try working in healthcare if you ever feel like you might be lacking any motivation to never smoke again lol. Had my last a few years ago, never looked back- good work fella! You’ll smash this 🙂 🙂

iwluap

Apologies, I have not read all of this thread, but feel quite strongly that if you want to stop, you will.

I gave up/stopped more times than I care to count. Each time I started again it was because of some emotional angst that merited the re-release of poisons and toxins back into my body and mind.

I remember with clarity, when I decided that the cigarette I was smoking at the time, was going to be my last.

I wanted to stop.

I have. Can’t remember how many years it’s been, because smoking does not define me anymore. Probably 10 years. Every day has been better since.

If you want to stop, do it. Make it happen. It is hard. But the rewards are so much worth it.

I am not a smoker. Any more. And do I do not regret any day of not smoking.

yunki
    Free Member

Epic fail…

ran out of valium on saturday night, so my plan to sleep through the first 48 hours of nicotine withdrawal failed..

add to the fact that staying in bed doing absolutely nothing is really really hard when you can keep thinking of useful stuff to do and I’ve basically ballsed it right up 🙁

still… I’m going to commend myself on a good effort… I’ve given myself a good taste of the smoke free life and thus enabled myself to cut right down so my next attempt will be from a place of greater wisdom

How’re you getting on hebdencyclist?

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Not a problem, you’re one step closer.
    Now read this thread and then go out and buy the bloody book! 😉
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/allen-carrs-easyway-your-success-stories-please

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

My Dad packed in one night. He lit a Silk Cut, had a few drags, picked up the 2/3rds full pack & looked at it, chucked the fag he was smoking in the fire then chucked the rest of the pack in as well. Never smoked again for the rest of his years (about 15+ years)
    My Mum packed in before Dad after warnings from the Doc, cos she was always a bit ‘chesty’. She died 20+ years after stopping. Bet you can guess what she died from.

therag
    Free Member

Coming up to 3 years off for me. 20 years of 20/30 a day. Alun Carr book recommended on here made it so easy for me. I’ve bought a Carbon road bike and a Carbon mtb out of the saved cash.
    Good luck, it is worth it.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Get one of those olbas nasal inhaler things that are menthol / eucalyptus and have a good snort on it when you get a craving.. Inhale deeply and the slight burning in your nostrils and intense smell help distract you from the cravings..

andykirk
    Free Member

Sorry to hear you had a…. fag. I have been there done it. If your mind has not decided it wants to stop it really is so so difficult.

Seriously try an e-cig. It’s really not much strife at all to swap. Then just work your way down the liquid strengths. Piece of cake, honestly!

Go down to your shop and try a few, they will probably grate on your throat at first but you will soon get used to them. I recommend one of these:

https://www.electrictobacconist.co.uk/vip-e-cig-photon-ets-bdc-glassomizer-kit-p410

with one of these

Eleaf iStick 30W Box Mod Tutorial & Overview

Just my two pennys worth.

beefheart
    Free Member

+1 for vaping.
    I wish they were around when I gave up.
    I’ve a couple of mates who have switched to vaping after being lifelong smokers.
    Don’t give up giving up.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

A cigarette isn’t a fail, it’s a lapse. Keep trying to give up. Keep on going! Saying “I’ll try again another time” is an excuse ya big jessie. It’s a minor set back as opposed to the end of it all.

I gave up many, many times. The giving up became more frequent and the lapses less frequent. I managed to finally give up for good with several lapses but still viewing it as the same ‘attempt’ or multiple back-to-back attempts.

I managed without patches or nicotine replacement of anything. I listened to Alan Carr’s book, the main thrust of which is that you aren’t giving anything up, you’re gaining time, money and health. I then got very, very, very drunk. Smoked 40+ cigarettes and cut my hand climbing in through the kitchen window despite the front door being unlocked. The thought of smoking made me gag for a good 24 hours. After that it quickly became much easier.

On the 20th Dec I’ll have stopped smoking for 8 years with 4 1/2 cigarette lapses. The half was when I knew I’d finally kicked it. It was a disgusting experience, not the treat I’d imagined.

yunki
    Free Member

YES!!!

A momentary lapse/relapse

Makes perfect sense… this is an ongoing thing 🙂

whippersnapper
    Free Member

Greengo tobacco substitute is my lapse remedy. It gives you the satisfaction of rolling and by the time you have smoked half of it the itch has been scratched and you remember it’s all pointless anyway. I have about two a year I think.

Oh **** it – I’m going to join you brother. Been meaning to quit for ages. First one to have a fag has to touch a poo.

You still have to touch a poo though!

jambalaya
    Free Member

OP firstly my very best wishes, giving up may damage hmrc revenues but its good for you so I’ll chose that every time.

I’ve been with my wife 4 years and she has given up twice, this latter time for 7 months now. She is a vaper and always did this alongside smoking, she stopped the real cigs (cold turkey) and reduced the vaper strength to zero over a few weeks. Even if you don’t stop completely the vaping will help reducing the negative impacts and make the “journey” easier.

How about putting the money you are not spending into an account to pay for a holiday / stuff for your kids. That way it has a strong positive and very visible value ? (Note this could backfire I guess if you start again and feel very guilty)

One other comment if I may using vallium instead of vaping is in my (uninformed bloke in the pub) opinion total madness.

rogermoore

After many years of toiling back and forth, finally I properly stopped in January of this year. Read the Allen Carr book, but took my time – including a purposeful stop over Christmas – and it seemed to work well for me. Can see why the method of the book wouldn’t be everyone’s cup of tea.

What I remember most that helped;
    – To help keep myself focused I wrote and kept close a little list of the reasons why I wanted to stop and looked at it lots.
    – I kept myself and specifically my hands busy (not a euphemism – but hey if the hat fits!) stuff like washing up, doing little jobs at home.
    – Keep telling yourself you are doing something amazing that will free you from an addiction, sounds cheesy but it really helped me.
    – Remember you are playing a long game – there won’t be a ‘boom’ moment when you no longer smoke – one day you will just catch yourself thinking “It’s been ages since I wanted a cig” and it rolls on from there.

Best of luck.

RM.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

Well Yunki? Any news?

Viewing 16 posts - 81 through 96 (of 96 total)

The topic ‘giving up smoking tonight’ is closed to new replies.