Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Giving notice at work
  • pondo

Just been poking about in the job market, had some interest and one question that cropped up is how much notice do I need to give. I said a month, as that’s all I’ve ever had to give before now, but now I’ve got a nagging suspicion that it might be 3 – if I only give a month’s notice when it should be three (and frankly that’s getting a bit ahead of the situation), will I die?

ronniebond

if you give less than your contract specifies then they can charge you for the extra (above your wage) they spend on a temp for the period of notice you failed to give /possibly more for pfaff / admin on their part / lost business work.
    If there is nothing in your contract or you don’t have one then notice period will be governed by law- see section 86 of the employment rights act 1996. google it. you can always agree with your employer something different i.e. less notice, as long as they are happy (get it in writing – email is fine).
    but don’t blame me ! just trying to help from a non expert

jambalaya
    Free Member

You need to find your contract / offer letter. There is no standard really, 1 month is probably the norm. 3, 6 or even 12 months I have seen before.

stumpyjon

If your notice is longer than you give you’d be in breach of contract. However they’d have to sue you for any cost associated with your breach of contract. In practice very few employers would chase you unless you leaving early would have a significant impact, e.g. a contract being completed late and late fees being incurred.

But bear in mind it’s always better to leave on good terms.

pondo

Thanks folks – just customer service stuff so nothing you would think isn’t easy to replace, and I’d rather by far leave on good terms. With my immediate I know that’s no problem…

… But no-one in the two and a half years I’ve been here has left on good terms. 🙁

badnewz
    Free Member

You need to read your contract.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Giving notice at work’ is closed to new replies.