Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)
  • Giving away parts to a mate?
  • carbon337
    Free Member

Giving a mate at work a set of pedals tomorrow – i wont use them so he may as well have them…. He offered to get the bacon butties next week – done deal

You never know he may offer a favour in the future

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

OK OK

I’m a tight git for even wondering if it was the right thing to do. Point taken.

sweepy
    Free Member

Someone on here was kind enough to give me a couple of bits. It want that they would have cost a lot but I had no idea where to get them. It was a nice thing to do for a stranger. I hope he felt the same warm glow as me.

Shackleton

If it has limited resale value and is unlikely to get used by me I tend to give it to others who can make use of it (not just restricted to biking).

I know a few people from here who have bits of mine, I’ve not asked for payment, usually just ask them to put something in the next charity tin they come across or pass the favour on. Works for me.

All sounds rather smug I know but I’d like to think that more people do it. Reading this thread has, by and large, reassured me!

molgrips
    Free Member

Maybe you are a bit Scottish after all.

I’ve got a box of old bits I wish someone would take. Put a few on the classifieds but no takers.

I’m tempted to put the whole lot up free for collection – lucky dip 🙂

druidh
    Free Member

Is it only me that keeps reading this as …

Giving away pants to a mate?

That IS wrong!

fenred
    Free Member

Been given parts and given away parts…It’s called Karma 8)

mefty
    Free Member

I generally charge top dollar to my mates as they are all rich bastards and I believe in redistribution of wealth.

On a more serious note, my mates tend to sell their fancy bits, but donate their old bits, my parts bin isn’t good enough for them but I use it to service other occasional cyclist’s friends commuters etc.

garage-dweller

Hand them over if its a good friend and you realistically dont think you will use them.

Northwind

I’ve got stacks of stuff that’s not worth selling but too good to throw away. Some goes to good homes, every so often some goes to bike charities, some will just become whatever the bike equivalent of biomass is.

Some day I really should go to the scrappies, I’ve got at least 40 kilos of scrap aluminium in the shed!

flippinheckler
    Free Member

What’s this a Scottish person giving stuff away, must be a troll 😉

cynic-al
    Free Member

He’s English.

I’m happy to give anything away that’s unlikely to get used by me or not worth much, but most of my stuff is worth something and goes on fleabay or is used.

NZCol

Have gifted wheels, seats, posts etc to mates over the years. Loaned someone a complete bike for 6 months when he was having some challenges. It came back as a brand new bike, as in completely new same model which was unnecessary but he insisted.

weeksy

Yup, i often upgrade my mates bike for him. Bought him new brakes when his other failed, fitted him a new brake hose with all connectors last week don’t think he realises how much that costs lol.

I do everythign i can to help him on bikes and costs as he’s a top mate.

Solo
    Free Member

I haven’t read it all, so sorry.
    Being a bit lazy first thing this morning.

I wouldn’t be able to accept the parts for free.
    I’d have to give money for them.

However, I could easily see me giving a few bits n bobs away to a friend, if they were parts I really wasn’t ever going to use.
    After all, there are spares and there are, spares.

BikePawl
    Free Member

The mate you speak of, is unlikely to accept all these parts gratis and will insist on paying. It would be a good idea of what you would like money for and how much.
    If you play your cards right you’ll be able to use this clear out of parts from your one bedroom yuppie mansion to gain brownie points from SWMBO and get some sticky rubber queens.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Ok so the deed is done – with bikepawls help we have built him up a bike by nicking the best bits off his old bike and raiding our spares boxes. Thanks to the folk off here who helped out with cheap parts as well

guys bike by TandemJeremy, on Flickr

So – a decent bike for a newb I hope – especially when the total cost is £200

damo2576
    Free Member

I tend not to, gave a crankset to a mate once and it snapped, he went under a truck

cynic-al
    Free Member

No rear brake?

Some mate!

😛

brakes
    Free Member

good work TJ
    I often give mates bits and bobs if I don’t need them
    just given a mate a Fox air shock which I don’t use anymore
    once gave another mate a set of Hone cranks
    mate of mine gave me a pair of XT cranks once
    thinking about building a bike up with spares so a non-riding friend can get into riding
    I probably won’t give him the bike, but he can borrow it indefinitely

tonyg2003

I’ve given away a couple of bikes and it always makes me happy to see them ridden. Good karma in my book. However a friend gave away a bike to another friend who promptly sold it on e-bay. There were a few words exchanged about that one!

Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘Giving away parts to a mate?’ is closed to new replies.