Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Giving a bike a bit of a shine and polish… what's best
  • RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Household furniture polish, wax?

I'm not obsessed with keeping my bike shiny but occasionally it's nice to make it look all pretty – what do peeps use?

ta

tracknicko
    Free Member

the muc off polish is pretty good actually. prolly overpriced.

foxyrider
    Free Member

GT85 🙂 Did mine recently – although the dust does still a bit more 🙂

bennyboy1
    Free Member

I use Pedros Bikelust, bikes come up looking as shiny as new with that stuff. On matte, anodised frames GT85 / TF2 works nicely though.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Beeswax or silicone (cheaper) furniture polish does the trick every time. The beeswax has a brilliant capacity for filling in tiny scratches in the paint, making your paint look like new – especially if you polish well after applying it with a cloth and letting the polish dry initially to a film.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Was off one day when my new frame turned up. It ended up with two coats of Autoglym Super Resin Polish and a coat of Extra Gloss Protection. It was very shiney.

Mud seems to fall off it or just brush of easily.

Pierre

I've always used Turtle Wax car wax stuff on the Solitude, the few times I've given it a proper wash. It's great, makes it look fantastically shiny and ensures the water and mud doesn't even get a chance to stick. For a while, anyway.

: P

becky_kirk43
    Free Member

GT85 / TF2 tend to do the job. finishline sell some polish stuff which looks alright if you want something "proper"

gamo
    Free Member

Mer car polish.

verses

GT85 +1

riggsy
    Free Member

i got a bit carried away when I got my new bike and used my car carnuaba wax – lets put it this way **** all dirt sticks to it now LOL

smoggy
    Free Member

Gt85 on Carbon fibre? Will it work?
    🙂

crazy-legs

Finish Line Pro Polish stuff

Whenever I strip and rebuild a bike, the frame gets a going-over with this stuff, it stops all the mud sticking to it.

james-o
    Free Member

Finish line polish is awesome stuff, reccomended. i'd go easy on the gt85 tho, keep it away from moving parts.

stu1972
    Free Member

Meguiar's Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner for removing oxidization & swirls etc £8.99

Then Meguiar's NXT Tech Wax 2 £17.99, Tried lots of polishes and I reckon it doesnt get any better that this.

BTW, I originally bought them for the car but works a treat on my bikes !!!

firestarter
    Free Member

i use washing up liquid in the water if its lucky 😉

poppa
    Free Member

GT85 – spray it on a cloth and wipe on when near rotors/bearings etc though.

It

a) smells nice
    b) looks nice
    c) has ptfe in it, so next time you get mud on your bike you can wait till dry, then brush it off

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

Pedros Bike Lust or Muc Off Bike Spray- I wasn't sure, but got some given and it actually makes it easier to clean your bike in future as well as making it nice and shiny.

Dibbs
    Free Member

I always polish my new frames before building them up, with whatever car polish I have lying around at the time. Stops the dirt sticking to the frame, at least for a while.

stumpy01

I've just got a Barry White Inbred & it's sat at home waiting to be built up.

Last night I had a few minutes spare so I thought I'd give it a bit of a polish before I build it up (seeing as it's got a glitter effect in the paint).

I gave it a quick once over with the polish I use on the car, which I think is Turtle Wax nanotech something….and it came up REALLY shiny. Looks great & has really bought out the glittery bits in the paint. I think I'll probably give it another coat before building it up.

ski
    Free Member

No one here use Zymöl Royale?

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

wd40 – my frame is matte and it comes up a treat with a bit of a spray and a rub 😕

retro83
    Free Member

Paintwork on my bike got rubbed to a dull finish after some gritty peaks rides over winter. Bit of TurtleWax has restored its original shine. GT85 my usual polish of choice strangely made it look worse ❓

pablo1
    Free Member

Johnson's Baby Oil. Forget everything else.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Giving a bike a bit of a shine and polish… what's best’ is closed to new replies.