Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • given the choice.. which is the least bad drink to have the night before a ride
  • simonm
    Free Member

So I maybe off riding at 10:00am saturday.. but out Friday night.. so which is the least bad alchohol to drink for ride preparation.. Wine ( a bottle) or whisky (just a few)…Beer..(some)

I tried the Beer and whisky combination at the weekender as XC prep and found it didnt really help at all…

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Ale or Lager usually does it for me, plenty of good carbs for the ride in the morning!

Stoner
    Free Member

stick to one type of drink. I find good quality bitter would do me fine. A pint of water before bed.

Stay away from strong common lagers (Stella, 1664, Star)

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Good quality claret is where it’s at. 😉

cynic-al
    Free Member

Stick to one type and the higher quality the better.

I “got away” with 2 different beers, red wine, cask strength whisky and 57% gin on Friday night – it weas all quite fancy stuff though.

rocketman
    Free Member

Discovered some time ago that it’s possible to drink gallons of pretty much anything providing you stay hydrated.

Water-load during the day right up to the time you start supping and you’ll be fine.

Suggsey
    Free Member

8 Pints of Guiness, swear by it powered me and my pals evernight on LeJog! Think about, all that extra iron=boost of red blood cell oxygen carrying ability 😆

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

ale or a fruit based drink for the lady

thomthumb
    Free Member

8 Pints of Guiness, swear by it powered me and my pals evernight on LeJog! Think about, all that extra iron=boost of red blood cell oxygen carrying ability

should be on the WADA banned list 😉

GlitterGary
    Free Member

6 bottles of St Peters IPA and a Jaipur on Saturday night gave me a stonking headache on Sunday morning.

My ride got rid of the headache though it was a struggle at first. Isn’t that what weekend rides are for, recovering? 🙂

lunge

Ale and lots of water, and by ale I mean something light, 4% ish. If it is really important then you could go so far as a pint of water to each pint of ale. You’ll send a lot of time on the loo but will feel reasonable at worst.

bruneep

Good quality claret is where it’s at.

Pah!

2010 Mollydooker Velvet Glove shiraz is where its at.. My latest shipment seems to be delayed

Stoner
    Free Member

2010 Mollydooker Velvet Glove shiraz

my pee is from a superior vintage and finer terroir than that! 😉

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Cider. You need to have them in multiples of 5 though.

Bruneep –

“When they opened up the container they said it was like a murder scene,” he said. “But it smelled phenomenal.”

That made me laugh out loud.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

tetleys/john smiths/pedigree are my usuals, nowt gassy

toys19
    Free Member

German bottled lager. Clean. Dehydration will be your only problem.

Klunk
    Free Member

Wine works best about 25 mins before you get on the bike.

kudos100
    Free Member

vodka and orange, if you want to feel as good as you can in the morning.

druidh
    Free Member

Err – just don’t drink anything alcoholic? Is there some law that days you need to drink alcohol in order to have a good night out?

rob-jackson
    Free Member

yes in england

brakes
    Free Member

I only ride my bike to cure my hangover

rob-jackson
    Free Member

back on topic Si – i am drinking 5% czech lager as my prep for tomorrow

ciderman
    Free Member

Port all the way, drink as much as you want, keep off anything carbonated!

mogrim

To the OP: dunno, but I really, really, hope it’s not Guinness and then white wine.

toxicsoks
    Free Member

Absinthe and Creme de Menthe……………in tumblers.

popartpoem
    Free Member

Tequila!
    :mrgreen:

shadowrider
    Free Member

About a gallon of Stella followed by enough sambuca to make you pass out

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘given the choice.. which is the least bad drink to have the night before a ride’ is closed to new replies.