Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Give me your healthy flapjack recipes
  • MSP

As above lets see what culinary masterpieces you have to offer for mid ride, pre gym energy.

ps no offerings of buttered maltloaf or harribo, this is for recipes preferably in a flapjack style (or at least something that can be cut into bars and stored for a week).

steve-g
    Free Member

My top tip here is to substitute out butter and replace with crunchy peanut butter for any recipe.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Just make unhealthy flapjack and increase your activity.

Its clearly the better option

z1ppy

Absolutely nothing healthy about my recipe, but best one I’ve made:

Ingredients

300 g (10.6oz) unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
    1/2 tin of condensed milk
    300 g (10.6oz) brown sugar
    250 g (8.8oz) porridge oats
    200 g (7.1oz) jumbo oats
    Pinch of salt
    180degree (160 fan) 15 minute & 5mins @ 200 degree (190 fan) to crisp them off

soobalias
    Free Member

my flapjack recipe can help weightloss, as part of a calorie controlled diet.

it is also reputed to help you on your way to heart attack, stroke and diabetes

you can swap out ingredients for “healthier options” but rather depends on your understanding of healthy.

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2807671/healthier-flapjacks
    i wouldnt have low fat spread anywhere near me, dont know much about agave

http://www.dietitianuk.co.uk/2013/05/04/sunshine-bars-super-healthy-goodness-in-a-bar/
    looks better, swapping out for other natural ingredients

benp1

@steve-g – interested in a recipe if you have one. My crunchy peanut butter has the wrong consistency to hold that

I think mine is (top of my head, recipe on post it note inside cupboard)
    12 oz oats
    6 oz butter
    3 oz muscovado sugar
    3 oz demerara sugar
    1 tablespoon golden syrup
    2 tablespoons peanut butter
    Various seeds and stuff

I often chop them up into small pieces and roll in something powdery, like smashed biscuits, so you can feed yourself little pieces on the go without having loads stick to your fingers

Stoner
    Free Member

Tick

MSP

6 oz butter
    3 oz muscovado sugar
    3 oz demerara sugar
    1 tablespoon golden syrup

300 g (10.6oz) unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
    1/2 tin of condensed milk
    300 g (10.6oz) brown sugar

Some of you seem to be failing to grasp the request 😆

Cougar

I did a calorie count for my flapjack recipe, and for a hypothetical ‘healthy’ version which I’ve not actually got around to making yet. Thusly,

125g crap oats 445
    125g good oats 445
    150g butter 1102.5
    75g syrup 243.75
    75g sugar 297.75
    ——
    2534 / 12 = 211 cals/portion

125g crap oats 445
    125g good oats 445
    150g low fat spread 285
    100g diabetic jam 147?
    40g sugar 158
    —–
    1480 / 12 = 123 cals/portion
    (swapping sugar for Splenda – 4g = 8 cal = 110 cals/portion)

I’ll type up the method if you need, it’s on a scrap of paper atm.

vickypea
    Free Member

Add a mashed banana or two to the mixture. Yummy!

MSP

Yeah I was thinking mashed up banana or unsweetened apple sauce would create natural sweetness and remove the need for most of the sugary ingredients, maybe add a little honey. Then with peanut butter, rolled oats and chopped nuts would be most of the way there, but it will still need something to hold it all together IMO.

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

I’ve been making variations of this recipe recently, it uses coconut oil and honey. It normally comes out pretty good.

fionap

I make a bastardised version of Hugh’s booster bars: http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2012/jan/22/hugh-fearnley-whittingstall-honey-peanut-butter-bars-recipes

Over 160C for 30min

125g butter (or a few tablespoons of veg oil)
    125g peanut butter
    150g honey

300g oats
    100g seeds (could use nuts instead)
    100g dried fruit (dates/raisins/sultanas etc)
    Mix and add to melted stuff. Put in greased and lined tray and mush down with a cold spoon so it’s quite dense.

jamj1974

I like this one: BBC Good Food

soobalias
    Free Member

i calculated the calories in a batch of flapjack.
    iro 14000
    i was soon banned from making more..

nickc

200g Porridge Oats
    1 apple
    150ml of dilute squash
    100g of dried fruit (I use equal mix of cranberry and sultana)
    100g butter
    1 large egg white beaten
    seasoning (cinnamon, and nutmeg)

mix all the dry ingredients into large mixing bowl, peel and grate apple and mix that in, melt the butter and along with squash mix into the oats. gently fold in the beaten egg white. Into a lined 20cm square tin,and press down well, bake at 180deg C for 20-25 or until golden brown.

It’s A LOT less sugary than you’re used to, but it’s healthier

getonyourbike
    Free Member

Not strictly a flapjack but these are really nice and the recipe was done by someone that knows about sports nutrition. When baked right the consistency is similar to a really good energy bar, so soft but still hold their shape and easy to eat.

http://point1athletic.com/point1-pro-bar/

pleaderwilliams
    Free Member

Also not strictly a flapjack, more of a bread, but it does have oats in it:

300g Porridge Oats
    500g Greek Yoghurt
    1 Tsp Baking Soda
    Pinch of Salt

Plus whatever fruit/nuts/seeds you want. I usually add cinnamon, a handful of raisins, some chopped nuts, and pumpkin seeds. I find the raisins add enough sweetness without any extra sugar.

Mix all together, bake in a bread tin at 190 for about 45 mins. Should be similar texture and consistency to soda bread. High in protein, and lots of low GI carbs.

ElShalimo

Fionap – they sound great but I hate peanut butter (reminds me of dodgy satay). Do they have a strong taste of peanut butter? Could that ingredient be swapped for something that won’t test my Pavlovian reflux action?
    😯

timidwheeler

Thanks Mr Williams. Looks good.

fionap

Fionap – they sound great but I hate peanut butter (reminds me of dodgy satay). Do they have a strong taste of peanut butter? Could that ingredient be swapped for something that won’t test my Pavlovian reflux action?

I don’t think they have a strong taste of peanut butter but it sounds like you’re quite sensitive! I guess it depends what type of peanut butter you use.

You could up the honey and/or butter to replace the peanut butter, or maybe swap in some coconut oil (I sometimes add some dessicated coconut for the flavour). Using the mashed banana like in Hugh’s recipe also helps it to bind (if you add this you might need to chuck some more oats in to balance the moisture again). As long as you end up with a fairly sticky consistency before it goes in the tin it’ll be fine.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Fruit bars are easier and possibly healthier – never done a calorie count

Basically used dried dates and perhaps some cooked apple to bind oats and seeds [ I also add desiccated coconut- together – no need to cook or add extra sugar.

ElShalimo

fionap – thanks

steve-g
    Free Member

I don’t have a recipe handy, but when using peanut butter instead of butter I do still put a little butter in there. I am using Skippys peanut butter incase it is my peanut butter that lets me get away with it.

Also, with the oats I take about a quarter of them and then chop them up as fine as I can, you need the nice big rolled ones for substance, but you need some dusty bits in there to help hold it all together

Cougar

Also, with the oats I take about a quarter of them and then chop them up as fine as I can, you need the nice big rolled ones for substance, but you need some dusty bits in there to help hold it all together

Yup – that’s what I was getting at earlier when I mentioned “good oats” and “crap oats.” I get a bag of supermarket own-brand value sawdust oats rather than chopping up the good stuff, works well and is a lot cheaper. Usually mix 50:50 by weight with the posh rolled oats.

fionap

I don’t have a recipe handy, but when using peanut butter instead of butter I do still put a little butter in there. I am using Skippys peanut butter incase it is my peanut butter that lets me get away with it.

If you use a peanut butter like that, the relatively high added sugar will melt and help bind everything together! Not really so healthy though. I can’t stand peanut butter with sugar in it. Meridian is half price in Tesco at the moment, 99p/jar which is very cheap for what it is (no oil, no sugar).

ElShalimo

fionap – Member

Thanks, I made them last night using bananas instead of peanut butter. They’re really good.
    I’m not sure how healthy they are though 😉

fionap

Cool. Well they’re healthier than traditional flapjack with golden syrup, sugar, butter and oats! Comparatively low GI. You could reduce the fruit and honey content if you wanted to get it down further.

sadexpunk

havent made any for ages and lost the recipe, so went googling for an old thread from here on energy bars. i posted this 6 years ago!! 😯

try this bad boy recipe dood. bluddy yummy!!!! got it from WMB ages ago and made a note. had hundreds of em since. probably they said it was a perfect mix of slow and fast releasing energy or something

500g chopped dates
    150g brown sugar
    100g plain flour
    100g porridge oats
    8 tbsp olive oil
    2 tsp baking powder
    2 tsp mixed spice
    2 tsp vanilla extract
    4 large eggs
    350g chopped pecan nuts

Add to bowl in that order, mix well with wooden spoon.

Grease a tin, line with greaseproof paper, pour in mixture and smooth the top.

30 mins at 180 degrees C, leave for 10 mins, turn onto wire rack to cool completely.

Cut into bars.

sprootlet
    Free Member

More of a cereal bar than a flapjack
    250g oats
    175g of dried fruit of your choice (can use some shredded coconut if you like that). My recent batch had sour cherries and cranberries
    125g mixed seeds
    125g of non salted nuts of your choice, chopped roughly
    1 tin of condensed milk
    Heat the milk and add to the dry ingredients, mix well and pack into a tray, bake for 1 hour at 130, or with my oven 50mins at 110.
    If its darkish around the edges the bars will be crunch, if its’s very pale around the edges then the bars will be chewy.
    While it is still warm, divide into pieces. If you leave to go cold it has a tendency to break up when you try and portion it.

baldman
    Free Member

Noted – some good ideas thanks all.

ElShalimo

Keep the ideas coming, I’ve decided to eat my own body weight in flapjacks.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Give me your healthy flapjack recipes’ is closed to new replies.