Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Give me Pink
  • Olly
    Free Member

im toying with getting one of these.

ive already got a tensioner, but its at the back of the bike and looks scruffy.
    i think this would look a lot tidier, and would make dropping the wheel in and out much much easier.

bike is "guiness foam", black components and pink grips
    what other pink is thier in the world of accesories that i can spend, unnessecerily on?
    should i get the BB tensioner? (kind of assuming it will take up enough slack by pushing up)

ive already got a pot of pink humbrol somewhere, i could retouch up my flaking head tube badge in pink….. ^o)

nicko74

Confucius say Never buy a component solely on its colour. 😯

He also say 'learn to entertain self, come in handy', so I suspect one needs to take these things with a pinch of salt 🙂 Plus that tensioner looks look a fairly simple bit of kit

tinsy
    Free Member

Yep looks very simple, does it take the place of the spacer for the ht11 bottom bracked and use the cup to clamp it in plce?

(maybe its too simple for me to work out!!) 😳

MrAgreeable

A Stinger is a chain device that adds a bit more tension to a dual ring setup. It's designed to be used with a front and rear mech and is not a proper SS tensioner. If you use it as such, you will have to uninstall your drive side crank and loosen off your BB cup every time you want to adjust your chain tension.

Just tie a My Little Pony to your handlebars instead. 😉

Olly
    Free Member

hehe.
    they come in different colours, and are all the same price

the current tensioner i have, is a gusset bachelor, a fixed tensioner at the back, it works really really well, but its a bit uuugly (and a minor faff to take the wheel out)
    its very simple, i dont see the point in having a spring loaded tensioner on a simple single speed myself.
    fixed also allows you to use recycled middle rings, as the chain has no give in it to allow it to jump of short teeth (though i always use a SS sprocket)

as far as i can make out from the website, the BB guide replaces spacer yes, and i would have to slightly loosen the BB to move it, but ive only had to retension the gusset one a couple of times, and it only takes a second, so not too worried about it.

i just think it will look much much tidier!

ill let you know how it goes 🙂

now off to find a my little pony on ebay…….

MrAgreeable

I think you've missed the point – if you want to take the wheel out easily, it's much better to slacken off the chain and unhook it than to try and force it off. If you have it slack enough to get the wheel out easily you would probably get skipping or droppage.

It's not an SS tensioner like the Gusset one, it's designed to let the chain shift rather than keeping it in one place, so i don't think it'd work that well.

PJ266
    Free Member

I cant see why it wouldnt work? And you dont have to loosen the BB, i run a Gamut thats bb mounted and you just need to give it a bit of "persuasion" 😉 Id like to know if it works because i think mech hanger mounted tensioners look fugly too 😀

MrAgreeable

It's just not designed to be used as a tensioner on its own. People on here have had problems using one with no front mech, there's no way to tweak the chain line, and the roller is quite low-profile and beveled to allow easier shifting.

I wouldn't like to be turning something that's in contact with the BB cup all the time either, you might end up loosening your BB and then you'd be in for all sorts of misery.

Olly
    Free Member

Mr A, your not thinking outside the box.

my gusset bachelor tensioner didnt work initially, the roller was in the wrong place, so i got myself an appropriate bolt and pack of nuts and washers and spaced it out, now it works like a dream.

tensioning it, i figure un-biting the BB, setting it, and nipping up the BB will be ok.

im not too worried, my BB is current Superstar cup on one side, and an XT cup on the other side (they wore out, but oddly, opposite sides wore out, so i had 2 smooth cups….)

mmmmm, 2 smooth cups, sounds rude.

i dont see how it will cause problems removing the wheel.
    its got vertical dropouts (slightlyy forward facing i think), the axel should just drop down, slide forward along the bottom of the chainstay a bit to unhook the chain, and jobs a goodun…..?

we will see! (im 22 quid lighter, but should be getting post tommorow morn…)

MrAgreeable

we will see!

Indeed! 😉

firestarter
    Free Member

i have a black bike with pink bar tape just looking out for pink candies and a pink arione but they are hard to come by. You can get pink gear cables too 🙂

BeardedDave
    Free Member

Plenty of pink bits out there, if you look. My girlfriend's bike:

Tracey

Pink and white bike, pink Helmet

Pink pedals, grips and gloves

Pink Helmet & pink camo waterproofs

Tracey

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Give me Pink’ is closed to new replies.