Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 102 total)
  • Gisburn forest sheet ice
  • Bregante

I have the answer

stumpyjon

^^ might be interesting on Hully Gully or the boardwalk sections 😯

Actually I think this is a good opportunity to tip my hat to the volunteers and thank them for all their hard work over the years. You’ve done a great job with Gisburn.

Ta 8)

May have some news on the new car park development in the next few weeks, charging is coming though (the pay and display meter was delivered last July!). As B.A.Nana rightly points out the proceeds will be going back into the trails, volunteers who’ve put in enough dig days should also be getting free car parking passes.

My bike had all this grey muck on it when I got back. Can we do something to sort that out?

Funny you should mention that, was thinking about it last night, might be worth the volunteers setting up a hands bike wash station some weekends to raise a bit more cash / awareness of the volunteer activities. I’ve got a pressure washer, all we need is a small generator, a stream and some sponges.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

SJon IMO you should be gritting them trails, I’ll be checking!

bish

While it’s being dug up for under trail heating, would it be possible to put a layer of that d30 stuff out of 661 knee pads down, i ony ask as the ground can be a little bit hard.

pennine
    Free Member

Where’s young Chris? in bed? 😀

tony_m
    Free Member

Tony M, thanks for info, when will this^ be finished?

Well, as soon as the Forestry Commission stump up for a skyhook, maybe we’ll be able to get the roof on. 😉

While it’s being dug up for under trail heating, would it be possible to put a layer of that d30 stuff out of 661 knee pads down, i ony ask as the ground can be a little bit hard.

Now there’s an idea… we could mix some rubbery pellets in with the gravel topping, might soften things a bit without actually turning it into a full-on kiddies playground.

chris_mbuk
    Free Member

sorry was at work yeh they defo need to do something but then again it dosent snow that often so nothings going to get done about it. just gotta wait till it goes i guess

amasaback
    Free Member

I’ve not read all of this thread, but I did read a post about gritting the trails? I presume this was a joke? I rode Gisburn on Wednesday night, including the gully and the Hope line. Yes there was ice about and yes you needed to ride with a bit more caution, but it was all rideable and added to the challenge in my opinion.

As a local rider I’ve been riding there a long time and I know that conditions can change quickly especially when ice melts and then re-freezes, so I don’t think it’s fair to have a go at someone that gives you a report on conditions from several days ago. As for gritting, how are you going to cope if you get out into the wilds (e.g. Dales and Lakes) and come across a patch of ice? I think that is the most ridculous thing I’ve ever heard on here.

joao3v16
    Free Member

Did someone seriously suggest gritting the countryside? 😯 😆

*cough*tool*cough*

Speechless.

martinhutch

Obviously some of you aren’t approaching this with the right ‘can do’ attitude. Stumpyjon is already designing the XC gritter/braking bump eliminator.

I’m hoping that the powers-that-be will be equally receptive to my upcoming request for some floodlighting in Home Baked. It can get very gloomy in there.

joao3v16
    Free Member

What we really need is a powerful helmet-mounted lazer to melt the snow/ice & dry the trails as we’re riding along, thus riding on dry dusty trails at any time of year …

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

I like it being Gloomy in Homebaked. Nothing beats comeing from beating sun and then going into the Dark woods 🙂 Its even better at Night. I’d Spend all week at Gisburn if i could 🙂

binners

I can’t believe that the people responsible for building trail centres didn’t do the obvious thing, and install under-trail heating from the start. Incredibly short sighted of them.

It can’t be a shortage of cash. If premiership football grounds can afford it? You’re not telling me that selling cake to fat blokes in the cafe at llandegla doesn’t generate the same in revenue as a capacity crowd at Old Trafford!

BadlyWiredDog

I do think it’s in incredibly poor taste to joke about gritting trail centres at a time when people are risking serious damage to their expensive cars thanks to the government’s inability to properly grit and maintain our road network. Just a thought.

yoda
    Free Member

Erm, on a Singletraction trail building day at Stainburn yesterday…….we gritted the trail! 🙄

The top of the descent/red return lines were solid with ice and it made barrowing a tad sketchy so we gritted it all.

I reckon four of us could have had the entire descent line gritted within an hour.

allthepies
    Free Member

😯

Houns

Where’s a facepalm smiley when you need one?

BadlyWiredDog

I would do something constructive and write to your MP instead of wasting time looking for juvenile emoticons? Let’s face it, a few of us own bikes, but we all have cars. I can’t believe people are being so selfish.

joao3v16
    Free Member

Should we add “My bike trails aren’t gritted” to the 1st World Problems thread then?

newbey
    Free Member

How about getting streetlights set up along the trails, it would make riding at night a lot easier, and cheaper, and not to mention making the bike lighter (one for the weight weenies) as you don’t need to carry expensive/heavy lights on your bike.

crazy-legs

I would do something constructive and write to your MP instead of wasting time looking for juvenile emoticons? Let’s face it, a few of us own bikes, but we all have cars. I can’t believe people are being so selfish.

MP? I was going to write to the Daily Mail. All their readers want bikes off the road anyway so to aid in this utopian ideal, we must be given year round trails.

😉

joao3v16
    Free Member

people are risking serious damage to their expensive cars

That’s their own responsibility. Nobody’s forcing them to drive in the snow/ice …

Plus I don’t think Council’s are obliged to grit the roads anyway?

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Erm, on a Singletraction trail building day at Stainburn yesterday…….we gritted the trail!

😀 well I wasn’t going to say anything in fear of it escalating.
    So now, In an effort to stay ahead of the game, as well as gritting the car park and trails, Stainburn Trailbuilders will be offering a full valet service of hot hand towels and Gentleman’s relief in The main Car park at Stainburn for all “customers” (that’s what we call them now). We have a ‘no nasty ice’ guarantee.

Matt24k
    Free Member

So to summarise.
    Poster asks for trail conditions info on the forum and then spits dummy when the info is not up to minute accurate and suited to his particular take on what is safe or even ridable.
    Poster then has hissy fit about his wasted journey and suggests that the trails should be gritted.
    I would suggest that he MTFU but I think he needs to Grow TFU first.
    The vast majority of the trail centres in the UK rely on volunteers to maintain and build them. Are you seriously suggesting that these volunteers grit the trails on icy mornings? Maybe they could also pop round your house and ask your Mum to let you know it’s not safe to go out today.

crazy-legs

That’s their own responsibility. Nobody’s forcing them to drive in the snow/ice …
    Plus I don’t think Council’s are obliged to grit the roads anyway?

You don’t know what irony is, do you Baldrick?

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AY-rVVRZoC8[/video]

chris_mbuk
    Free Member

amasaback- ive been to the lakes and rode rocks and ice already but it wasent all just ice.. gisburn was just ice like i said above it was a bob sleigh track even people with snow tyres said they were having trouble, hoping to go next sunday and hoping its all gone by then xD

Sancho
    Free Member

Maybe when the conditions are like that its time to do something else, we must have other things to do rather than riding.

I spent the day cleaning and maintaining the Honda, then spent a bit of time trying to get the gudgeon pin in my Yamaha.
    The time passed so quickly

stumpyjon

chris_mbuk

I really am at a loss as to what your problem is, Gisburn is a forest in the hills. It snowed, it froze, it made riding tricky, neither the Forestry Commission or the volunteers made this happen deliberately to spoil your ride. In fact we, the volunteers were pretty hacked off as we were due to repairing trails (we’d rather be building trails but because we care we also help to repair, ironically the stuff built by the professionals) on Sunday but we couldn’t due to the conditions.

The same thing happened on my local trails, I went out, I nearly fell off, I wished I’d put my pads on, I rode home on the road, I got cold. It wasn’t a great ride but I was out in the countryside and all was good, I’m not about to critcise the local farmer for not clearing the snow off the bridleway (which incidently I have a lot more right to ride than you do Gisburn Forest the trails at Gisburn Forest).

elaineanne
    Free Member

Ha ha priceless this thread..but c,mon hands up who actually made it to the forest..prob 6-8 people…..the carpark u could toboggon on….it wasn’t just the odd few ice patches….it was solid sheet ice just like an ice-rink. Most of u lot were tucked up in your sleeping bags with the hair dryer on defrosting. Your toes and Suchlike….and half hung over…… Only us few gurus braved the temperature….

devs
    Free Member

Snow tyres are rubbish on ice FACT! chris_mbuk is an anagram of bum_kirsch MORE FACT!

gingerss
    Free Member

If snow tyres are rubbish on ice then what’s the point of them? Snow seems to be fairly grippy stuff.

fizzer
    Free Member

hands up who actually made it to the forest?

Me

WillC9999
    Free Member

What a classic forum thread. Bonkers.
    Apparently you can get a turbo trainer with ‘ice effect’ rollers, just to train for the real thing.

chris_mbuk
    Free Member

devs do you even know who you are? xD

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

This thread exhibits levels of dumb that would be labelled as dumb even on bikeradar. Im going to post this on facebook and make it go viral so the whole world can witness the levels of stupidity shown here.

langylad
    Free Member

Wish i knew how to facebook so i could read it all again. I’m more of a reader than a contributor on here but surely MBUK is a troller?

devs
    Free Member

If snow tyres are rubbish on ice then what’s the point of them? Snow seems to be fairly grippy stuff.

So full of win.

devs do you even know who you are?

More win.

*sved retires full of glee!*

elaineanne
    Free Member

Devs is devious fact

gingerss
    Free Member

Well I’ve learnt that ice tyres and snow tyres are not the same thing. I presumed they were one and the same thing.

devs
    Free Member

Well I’ve learnt that ice tyres and snow tyres are not the same thing. I presumed they were one and the same thing.

And both completely unnecessary waste of money if those lazy volunteers get their fingers out and get the trails gritted to prevent bum_kirsch from being slightly inconvenienced. In fact they could do the whole world a favour by just walking a few yards in front of him wherever he goes and laying down grit. You know in a rose petal kind of stylee.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 102 total)

The topic ‘Gisburn forest sheet ice’ is closed to new replies.