• This topic has 333 replies, 84 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by diz.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 334 total)
  • Gisburn Forest is open.
  • Gary_C

That slab looks a lot less steep than 70 deg in that picture, more like 30 t 35 – but I shall withhold judgement until I've ridden it.

Yes,please do reserve judgement.Okay,maybe not 70 deg,but not far off!
    See the following photo,taken 10 days ago,the bike was propped up vertically,hopefully it'll convey the steepness…

Was up there with a mate yesterday eve,(Weds),rode the whole route,& some of it twice,(the bermed gully run),& we came away impressed with the work thats gone on there.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Actually, in that photo it looks more like 30 degrees, don't forget 90 degrees is vertical. 70 degrees would be very very steep.

But, all these pics makes Gisburn look superb and a step up 'next generation' from many other centres.

Gary_C

Actually, in that photo it looks more like 30 degrees, don't forget 90 degrees is vertical. 70 degrees would be very very steep.

Point taken 🙂
    Having been down the 'Gisburn Slab' 3 times so far,i'd say its at least as steep as this:

(Dalbeattie qualifier).And that photo doesn't do the steepness justice either!

and a step up 'next generation' from many other centres.

I'll say.Was particularly impressed with the 'lets put timber over the boggy ground'solution.i.e. use what looked like hand split logs rather than the smooth machine cut slippy timber at other centres.
    Hopefully this trail building at Gisburn will be just the start.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    B.A.Nana
    Free Member

This is me on the Dalbeattie Qualifier which is also probably no more than 30 degrees steep (I went over the handlebars a split second later 🙂 ). On a bike, short steep sections look/feel much more than they actually are, especially where rocks are involved.

stumpyjon

Can see I'm going to have to use my iphone to measure the angle of the slab, it is very very steep, way over 45 degs.

The new boardwalks are excellent, almost muscial, if you ride them you'll know what I mean.

Tom, you got mail.

nbt

In that second pic it looks more like 25 to 30 deg 🙂 Measuring angles by eye is a very hard skill to develop, and not many people carry clinometers. Good skill to have in the mountains though

lowey

Dang!! Jon, those pics look brilliant. Got a rght dilema now. I've got the bike in the car at the moment and was going to do Cut Gate tonight, but that looks ace! and I reckon I can be at Stocks in 1.5 hrs….

Ohhh, what to do, what to do…..

Is it pretty straightforward to follow on the ground without a map ?

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Gisburn has just been officially added to the 'to-do' list.

stumpyjon

lowey, some of it is, some of it isn't. There's a map on the previous page which I did with the GPS last night. Just leave Cocklett Hill carpark and follow the red route clockwise. You'll have a bit of single track cross the end of the resevoir, bit more single track and then fireroad. Go up the longish hill on the fireroad, where the red route is signposted right on the FR carry straight on for another couple of hundred yards and youll see the entrance to the volunteer built bit, this is the easiest to miss. After this section it's fireroad for a while until you get to the quarry which is the entrance to the next big chunck. The start of the trail is on the left hand side of the big pile of stones. After that it's reasonably obvious. There are little signs at the entrances to most of the new sections.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Jon, £5 at the next dig day says it's less than 45 degrees, that's overall, the bottom 1/2 looks a bit steeper than the top, so take a top and bottom angle and do a guestimate.

I should point out that I wasn't poo-pooing it or questioning it's difficulty and test of nerve, it is definitely steep. Like nbt, all I'm questioning is peoples perception/estimation of the actual degree of angle of a slope, it's often way off the mark.

This is probably around 45 degrees and it feels and looks very steep, but I doubt very much that Martin would put it in, even as a black grade test. The slab next to it would be in the range of 50-60 degrees

stumpyjon

It is easy to overestimate an angle, especially when you've just bottled it, but I still reckon it's well over 45 degs, we shall see 😆

Still scary steep, one of those where you have to be right on the lip to see it, take a step back and the drop disappears under the lip.

I had enough trouble getting over the step on the top of our pitched section, bottled it the first time, had some peer pressure and a camera to help me get down it on the second attempt, wasn't the most controlled of descents though. I'm thinking pads are going to be a good idea for Gisburn in the future, lot of sandy, gritty rock. Met one guy yesterday who had come off on the rollercoaster, had blood running down both his legs 😯

Do you know if they are going to name the sections, I think we should.

Junkyard
    Free Member

CanI have the GPS file please JON? My mail in profile ta it is for Memory map /Garmin BTW

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Jon, are you still getting emails from Martin Charlesworth before each dig day, I haven't had any for a while.

Certainly, the volunteer build section should be named by the volunteers. Maybe that can be done by Martin C as he has everyones email. It might be an opportunity to get a good turn out at a future dig. Opening and naming day and a glass of champagne, you have to be there to be in the argument 🙂 . I vote for something jungle orientated, like 'run thru the jungle' or 'Go-Ape'. Although, if Martin Colledge thins it out to give more light, then it'll loose that dense jungle darkness that we built it in.

stumpyjon

No, not had any emails for a while and the last one was a bit to the point which isn't like Martin at all.

I was thinking Darkside for the climb (due to the lack of light, which I think is pretty cool actually, not often you get a night ride in during the day, not a feature you find in other trail centres), and something like hug me tight for the descent, cos it's tight and a bit scary at the end (well the pitched section scared me).

Junkyard, I'll try and email it to you tonight, only got the route in tracklogs format, should be able to save it as a .gpx file as well.

didmatt
    Free Member

looks like a great place to spend an afternoon 😀

Junkyard
    Free Member

cheers Appreciated

stumpyjon

Junkyard

you got mail (I hope).

Vortexracing

Up for a blast next Wednesday night after work.

Only just seen the piccies (can't view them at work :-()

looks great, can't wait.

stumpyjon

Looks like it's going to be busy next Wednesday, I'm hoping ot get up there with some mates (if I can find any), Junkyard's taking a coach load and now Vortex is going too. STW after work massive 😆

lowey

I'm there too. Part of Junkyard's party. Cake anyone ?

Vortexracing

If your going Lowey then the weather is bound to be spot on given the last few STW rides.

Is Johnny bringing cakes?

This just gets better.

Horse
    Free Member

Rode it last night (Gary C, were you on the green Kona in the group I tagged along with??). Great fun, the swoopy gully has to be ridden at least twice every visit! Not too sure about the approach trail to the grit slab you're all talking about is, we pushed up and then rode down but we all rode it and it's a doddle, nice run off.
    Lowey, might pay another vist next Wednesday, what time are you meeting there? (I'm working at 10 but it's only 20 minutes from home).

ScottChegg
    Free Member

jon, can you mail me the gps file too, please? Mail in profile.

Looks good for an afternoons 'working from home'

stumpyjon

Scott will do, I will send it from home tonight.

Don't know about the slab / approach bit, I cleaned the approach except for one dab and then totally bottled the slab 😳

lowey

Horse… think we are looking at 6.30 riding for no later than 7. Lots coming from all over though so these things tend to be a bit of a faff.

Hope to see you there mate, after we missed you on your doorstep 😆

Junkyard
    Free Member

cakes you say ….we shall se we shall see
    Seems to be loads going now but should be fun. !

hora
    Free Member

Wow, I always thought Gisburn was up Guisborough way (yes yes I know!).

Looks fantastic, thank you for building this. 🙂

dxb
    Free Member

this looks like alot of fun – well done all involved!
    A few of us in manc will be paying a visit tomorrow morning/ well lunch time (half 12 – 1ish)
    If any of the south manchester massive or twisted wheels lot fancy the trip north?
    looking forward to it :o)

hora
    Free Member

dxb whats the nearest location/startpoint for th satnav?

dxb
    Free Member

thats a good question?
    i don't know – i'm not particulary good with directions so i'd just stuck gisburn forest in google maps to get a rough idea where i was going.
    I was planning on following my more directionally adept mate 🙂

keppoch

stumpyjon – please could you send the tracklog or gpx file to keppoch (at) breathe.com

The trail looks brilliant!

keppoch

lowey
    dxb
    Free Member

lowey – Cheers that looks much better and specific than my map of the whole forest

stumpyjon

Or here (at the pub), personally I think it flows better from the carpark finishing on the blue trail with the berms, downside is no pint or bikewash.

All those requesting a GPX file, should be going out in the next 5 mins.

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Was there last night with two of my mates.Came up short on the gap jump and came off big time :cry:.Must of knocked the mech hanger because 10 mins later the mech ripped off.Turning my susser into a singlespeed hardtail 8O.Had a good time though and i will be back to nail that jump !

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Everyone

Be aware that this is only the very beginning of the new Gisburn, there is still alot of forest road you currently have to ride up and down to get to the new bits. FC have phase 2 on the cards.

Also, unless you know the forest very well and where all the new stuff is, you really do need to get that GPS route logged by Jon, or at the very least print off his map and take a 1:25000 OS map or similar. There are currently no directional signs and all the old signs are now mostly wrong and will only confuse you and probably send you the wrong way. The new stuff is spread out all over the forest. There's lots of it and you don't want to go all that way and miss any of it.

Don't forget, the new layout goes in a figure of 8 and if you do it all the way it's now meant to be done then it's very good.

Alternatively, wait for the new signage to go in, they started putting posts in yesterday (blanks). So actual directional signs should be up and running soon.

Gary_C

Horse,no,I was up there Weds night,on a black 04 Spesh enduro with my mate who was on a red s-works stumpy.

dxb
    Free Member

Stumpyjon it's probably a bit late on a friday night – but could i get copy of the GPX too?
    Cheers

Horse
    Free Member

Lowey, sounds a good time, hopefully I'll get there, Gary C no worries! stumpyjon, think I'll have to spend a little more time looking next time, was like a kid in a sweet shop yesterday!!

taka
    Free Member

any one been there in the last day or too after the rain came down? if so what's it like? going there tomorrow (sat) afternoon to test out the new trek closley followed by a pub tea in bolton by bowland =)

tom

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 334 total)

The topic ‘Gisburn Forest is open.’ is closed to new replies.