Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)
  • Gisburn forest in the news…..oops
  • nealglover
    Free Member

they think because they jumped over a ramp when they were 24 means they can still do it when they get back on a bike at 40.

I jumped over a ramp when I was 24.

And when I was 8.

And I can still do it now I’m 40 :mrgreen:

unklehomered
    Free Member

Air ambulance costs pretty much the same if its flying as if its not. It’s the cost of having it all which is big. Often they will send it if it is beneficial and there is nothing more pressing for which it is needed. It may not be essential.

As someone involved in another FE mtb site +1 to stumpyjon, its just physically impossible to be on site and not look with an eye to issue and improvement each and every-time, like wise it’s equally impossible to control how people ride.

Andy_Baz

Air ambulance costs pretty much the same if its flying as if its not. It’s the cost of having it all which is big. Often they will send it if it is beneficial and there is nothing more pressing for which it is needed. It may not be essential.

Not strictly true. The fuel costs are unbelievable and the service requirements are based on number of take offs and landings and hours in the air, but you’re right in that they will always try to attend even in a just in case capacity.

It would be a good investment for all of us to support our local air ambulance service in whatever way we can.

iain1775
    Free Member

If like at Gisburn access means that the Air Ambulance & Mountain Rescue need to be used, then surely this cost should be built in to the parking fees?

It would be a good investment for all of us to support our local air ambulance service in whatever way we can.

+lots

I would happily pay additional on a parking ticket if it was guaranteed to go direct to the local air ambulance
    I already support my local one but I ride all over the country as I’m sure many of us do, I can’t support every area with monthly direct debits this or something similar would be a good way to raise more funds

abennell
    Free Member

Just read and commented on it, that mjvende is a bit of an idiot and has wound me up no end! Cock, anyone would think he was being a troll!

Aristotle
    Free Member

It’s a shame that, despite the efforts of the people involved, there will always be (vocal) people who like to moan/complain. What is the basis of the “individual’s” complaint?

The mountain biking trails at Gisburn are a great facility and I’ve really enjoyed riding there when I’ve been. I think they have a positive impact on the area. It’s just a shame that I don’t live a bit nearer.

I know that people are all different and have different abilities and attitudes, but the point about people riding around the “qualifier” is a good one. I had to think hard to remember what it actually was, but if somebody can’t ride that, then they should really think twice about riding down the gully.

Likewise, “The staircase” on Home-Baked didn’t particularly stick in my memory (I’ve just found it on Youtube) although I do enjoy that section, but more for the turns.

unklehomered
    Free Member

Just read and commented on it, that mjvende is a bit of an idiot and has wound me up no end! Cock, anyone would think he was being a troll!

Having never encountered him before that was what I thought too… A little research reveals he was 100% serious. Part of me thinks the UK needs their own MJVande, there’s nothing for an argument like bat-shit insane, foaming at the mouth, lunatic rabid opposition.

boxelder

Hi Mike,

Mark Alker here. Publisher at Singletrack mountain bike magazine. Gisburn Forest is reasonably local to us here in West Yorkshire. I’ve ridden there pretty much all my life having grown up in the area. Our address here is Lockside Mill in Todmorden. Our phone number is 01706 813344. Give me a call if you like.

Is that wise………

chestrockwell

I ride gisburn all the time and think it’s great. Far more chance of hurting yourself on many of the natural, unmaintained trails round here (Mastiles Lane anyone?). If you ride above you’re ability you’re going to hurt yourself where ever you are. Same can be said for pretty much any other active sport.

MrAgreeable
    thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

My current favourite is the guy who claims to have taken public liability insurance for his entire family, just in case…

Where do you even get that?

Got home/house insurance? It’s usualy included.

I’m sure I saw a ‘fact’ somewhere that said it cost £400 to keep a private helicopter in the air for an hour (it was some rich guy in cheshire flying to medowhall justifying that his working time was billed at >£400/hour so it was actualy cheeper than driving and getting stuck in trafic), so I’d imagine one of those big ambulance/coastguard helicopters is a bit more, plus the cost of pilots and doctors permenantly on standby has to be divided by the number of flights?

philfive
    Free Member

there are now 97 comments on this story on the news site 😀

unklehomered
    Free Member

Does seem Mike has gone away though… that’s a shame. It will leave a gap in my life 😀 . But also pleasing, is there a prize we can claim for having worn him down?

philfive
    Free Member

He is probably over the atlantic as we speak, he will be hiding in Gisburn forest with a handsaw just waiting for the next mountain biker 😀

Junkyard
    Free Member

topeffort very funny
    He is a proper mentalist QED yah liars

here i have some proof
    www. junkard stw says he is wrong on his webapge.com
    😀

tomhoward

UnkleH, as was said on the site, your posts have made my day! I think I might love you too.

unklehomered
    Free Member

Awwwww. I confess I was rather delighted to discover the existence Mike. I did a lot of research and I feel now like I’ve known him all my life. Mainly cos he has been pasting the same body of text for at least 6 years… probably more…

One of the favourite responces I found was to this one from 2010, sent unsolicited to a B&B in Canada.

http://www.lynnvalleybedandbreakfast.com/blog/86-this-arrived-today-and-my-reply/

#hugs

Unk.

Junkyard
    Free Member

We are sorry to hear of your alleged recent arrest for assault with a deadly weapon, hitting a mountain biker with a handsaw was a little extreme, perhaps you should have used something with less teeth, like a raccoon or a bear – something animate at least.

that is utter class that reply

You would think he was bored by now as it is all cut and paste and he obviously takes the time to reply when people respond.

crazy-legs

You would think he was bored by now as it is all cut and paste and he obviously takes the time to reply when people respond.

The guy must be 70 by now – can imagine him sitting there at his computer, foaming and frothing at the mouth as he googles for any MTB related story and then Ctrl – V his response.

Happy that he’s put the world to rights he’ll then wander off to his Wal-mart ready meal for one, maybe watch some TV then fall asleep alone, dreaming of a world without mountain bikers.

He’s popped up on here once or twice before as well in the pre-hack days but congratulations to everyone on that newspaper comments page – that’s a masterclass in how to divert it from being a predictable rant from local nimbys about road tax and insurance (road tax – on an off-road trail??) and turn it into something that was genuinely funny.

atlaz
    Free Member

BTW, anyone who thinks Michael J Vanderman is an amusingly eccentric chap rather than a hate filled nutjob might want to read the running list of MTB accidents, incidents and fatalities he posts on usenet here:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/ca.environment

He also comments on each of them so for Alex Kaiser’s tragic death (which obviously was at an MTB event but not actually to do with riding), he notes “Evolution in action”.

I saw Mark Alker reach out to him on the Gisburn article but I think the best thing is to let him fester rather than give him any room to air his views.

unklehomered
    Free Member

wow… yeah that’s like when they find the hidden room in the serial killer’s house and there’s just photos and book with strands of hair in it…

He really is an unpleasant man. And alone it seems. No supporting posts.

amasaback
    Free Member

Stumpjon, are there any plans to make the qualifier on the Gully less avoidable and a bit more gnarly? e.g. by careful placement of large rocks on either side to stop people riding around it. It may stop absolute novices riding down and injuring themselves. The qualifier at Dalbeatie works well, but something on that scale is probably a bit of overkill as I’ve seen plenty of experienced riders giving that a wide berth.

Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘Gisburn forest in the news…..oops’ is closed to new replies.