Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Gisburn Forest – 8/10 could do better???
  • tomj
    Free Member

So ride loads at Gisburn but not been for a few months and for the first time can away a little bit disappointed. Don’t get me wrong I love the place and the developments that have happend and that’s why I want to see it as good as it can.

Clearly the last couple of winters haven’t been kind to the place. Now I know it’s mountain biking and if I want smooth I can try Center Parcs but it seemed a few repairs would make the whole place a lot more fun. One of the benefits of trail centre rides is that they are mostly rideable without unexpected and unpleasant surprises for the grade. The volunteer stuff is holding up much better and I really enjoyed the repairs on Homebaked, still intersting but removed some of the worn out bits. But a lot of the other bits could do with the same tlc. The new descent from the car park towards the causeway has lost it’s flow and speed because of huge holes and puddles before every berm. On the ‘bottoms’ descent a few large rocks had washed away between the trees making for very large (and unexpected) drops. And the final blue descent through Crockett Hill has been shut for ages – I rather liked that last descent – so the end is a bit of an anticlimax.
    Like I said it’s still really good but it has the potential to be even better. If I was writing it’s report I think I’d say 8/10 – must try harder – could do better.

philfive
    Free Member

Attend a dig day 🙂

tomj
    Free Member

I keep meaning to! But weekend shifts, young family and general lack of riding time have so far conspired against me. I did join PMBA to ease my guilt a little.
    Interestingly the volunteer stuff is in far better nick than the contractors trails

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I keep meaning to! But weekend shifts, young family and general lack of riding time have so far conspired against me.

Well that’s alright then, just criticise and dis away instead

Volunteer dig day this Sunday, I’ll email them to expect your attendance.

Simon

What Phil said 🙂 Man-made trails need men (or women), usually unpaid volunteers to build and repair them.

tomj
    Free Member

I’m not dissing the place or the trails at all. I think the hand built ones are the best of all. I was just trying to express the fact that it’s the first time I’ve got back to my car a little sad and disappointed and wished it could be a little better. I had naively thought that the volunteers maintained their sections and the FC the contractor built bits?

Gribs

Bottoms has always been like that, even on the old red and it’s what makes it fun. As for the final blue descent it’s not shut, just the direct route to it. You can easily get to the top of it by taking the first fire road on the left after the car park and following that to the start of the descent.

I’d agree with the general sentiment though, Hully Gully in particular could do with closing off and resurfacing.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Gisburn Forest – 8/10 could do better???’ is closed to new replies.