Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • Gisburn Forest
  • thestabiliser
    Free Member

My knackers didn’t find it so hilarious last time i was there

funkrodent

Rode there recently with a friend who lives down in Bristol. He’s used to riding the likes of Afan and Bike Park Wales. He rated it for two reasons. Firstly the level of challenging, technical, yet generally fast riding. Said he’d not seen the like of it before (I’ve never ridden Afan or BPW so can’t comment). Secondly he was well impressed with how friendly everybody was, he was amazed that people actually talk to each other!

From my point of view it was the first time back in a couple of years and I really rated it. I think that the trailbuilders have done a fantastic job and am of the school of thought that if the trail gets cut up a bit, that just adds to the challenge.

I’ll certainly be going back and sharing the good word!

Stevet1
    Free Member

IIRC there was some unofficial ‘tweaking’ of the jumps that turned it into either a potential crashfest or properly rad, innit, depending on your viewpoint. Hard to satisfy both types of punter on one bit of trail, cue moaning.
    But isn’t it supposed to be a black line? Its not even part of the main route you have to specifically go down it and pedal back up a fireroad. Jumps should be much bigger IMO else its just catering to the lowest denominator which is what the blue is for isn’t it?

crazy-legs

But isn’t it supposed to be a black line? Its not even part of the main route you have to specifically go down it and pedal back up a fireroad. Jumps should be much bigger IMO else its just catering to the lowest denominator which is what the blue is for isn’t it?

You could argue it either way.
    There’s the full on DH track which (IIRC) has signs all over it saying that you should only be riding it if you’re part of the Trail Fairy crew (digging/maintaining the trails) and also warning of certain death if you attempt to roll anything.
    Then there’s the Hope Line. I’ve ridden it on my CX bike so it’s hardly double diamond grade but, like the best Blue trails, it’s a progressive trail – it can be ridden by a mincer on a CX or it can be properly nailed by an experienced rider on a DH or jump bike. The trick is actually catering for that wide base.

If you’ve ridden Swoopy Blue at Glentress, that’s kind of the benchmark. Any idiot can bimble down it on a hybrid. But ride it fast and it becomes very challenging, a trail fit for even the best XC racer. I think that’s the aim with the Hope Line – if you don’t find it challenging enough, go faster and jump higher!

Stevet1
    Free Member

I think that’s the aim with the Hope Line – if you don’t find it challenging enough, go faster and jump higher!
    I get what your saying but the jumps are tiny, I’m braking not to overshoot them. I could squash them all to get to the bottom faster but where’s the fun in that?
    Interested in this DH line though – whereabouts is that?

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Left at the top of the Hope Line and keep going when the red peels off on the right.

Secondly he was well impressed with how friendly everybody was, he was amazed that people actually talk to each other!

Thats not Gisburn specific. Its this thing called the north.

chakaping
    Free Member

Looking forward to getting back over there, just had a look at video of the DH stuff, might need to take two bikes.

fingerbang
    Free Member

I wouldn’t take my dh bike to gisburn to be honest mate – unless your other bike is a hardtail or something

the official DH trails aren’t steep or rocky or technical at all and are do-able on a mid travel bike

Stevet1
    Free Member

I wouldn’t take my dh bike to gisburn to be honest mate – unless your other bike is a hardtail or something
    Oi, I’m on a hardtail.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Stevet1 – Member
    My 2p worth – Hope line needs biggerer jumps.

Not wrong there! The last ones especially. You hit them at full speed and you are landing on the face of the next jump never mind to flat! Really have to squash them.

manderson
    Free Member

@stumpyjon it was the cafe owner who told us directly that the FC have taken signs down and won’t let them put one up in the car park. Don’t know of its crossed wires, bureaucracy or what but it seems daft that the toilet block is far more prominent than the cafe when it’s the cafe that’s likely to draw more people into the forest.

chakaping
    Free Member

the official DH trails aren’t steep or rocky or technical at all and are do-able on a mid travel bike

Good to know cheers. I’ve got a 130mm 29er or a 180mm 26in bike to pick from so might still prefer the big bike!

manderson
    Free Member

@stumpyjon it was the cafe owner who told us directly that the FC have taken signs down and won’t let them put one up in the car park. Don’t know of its crossed wires, bureaucracy or what but it seems daft that the toilet block is far more prominent than the cafe when it’s the cafe that’s likely to draw more people into the forest.

stumpyjon

Manderson, I will have a word in a couple of weeks and find out what happened. Probably crossed wires concerning the type of sign maybe, there’s a fine line between useful information and turning the forest into Picadilly Circus. Plus there was some bad feeling generated at one point when the cafe started putting up lots of signs saying outside tables only for cafe patrons, toilets only for patrons, no change for the pay and dusplay etc. Not the most welcoming approach.

The cafe is run by the people who lease Stephen Park, the toilet block is owned and maintained by the FC and had to be close to the carpark for planning approval and to discourage people from using the bushes (which upset the landlord, UU, who don’t like people weeing in the resevoir catchment).

premier
    Free Member

Just got into riding at Gisburn after borrowing a carbon 29er did 2 & 1/2 laps on Sat and thought it was mint, challenging in places but also very natural and not overly sanitized- the fact it’s rideable when its pissing down appeals!

Stevet1
    Free Member

Went back to Gisburn at the weekend – shock horror there were still puddles on the trails. We managed to cope, somehow. The improvements to Hully Gully were noticeable and appreciated and the climbs were as great as ever. The hope line was underwhelming as usual. Found the DH track after directions on here and it was excellent, the most fun I had all day. Now comes the controversial bit, there is nowt on the DH track that ought to be out of reach of someone who is an experienced MTB’er. In my eyes this should be the level of trail that is classified as Black, not the small tabletops and rollable drops that often feature on ‘Black’ graded trails. I’m not saying this as some way to put myself across as some kind of riding god but as someone who thinks the skill level of MTB’ers seems pretty low in general and won’t improve unless people are challenged as to what they think is a technical trail. Anyway there has obviously been a lot of work gone into the track so thanks to the trail pixies for that.

Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Gisburn Forest’ is closed to new replies.