Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Gisburn Forest
  • MartinGT
    Free Member

I went to Gisburn at the weekend and I must say I was extremly disappointed!

The trails were poorly signposted and confusing, you could go both ways along the trails which I can easily see a bad accident occuring if it hasnt already

The trails were not really demanding physically or mentally, all in all poor IMO.

I was told to go here by a few people and I must say, I wont be going back again.

what it needs is someone like Singletraction getting their hands on it and sorting it out! The FC do have a massive potential there!

grumm
    Free Member

They are in the process of building new trails there. How about instead of slagging it off going and helping to make it better?

MartinGT
    Free Member

Well I wasnt slagging it off per say and I saw the new stuff it looked good, however we went up it the wrong way due to poor sign posting!

domino

From whats been said on here its not finished, they have asked people to keep off the new bits until it is ready – I would imagine thats why its poorly signposted.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Numpty disses unfinished trail centre ?

MartinGT
    Free Member

I didnt know it was unfinished Mr F Barnes. Dalby had a load of stuff unfinished yet its clearly sign posted.

Maybe I am looking at places like Dalby, GT etc and unfairly comparing Gisburn

I apologise, no need to be childish.

grumm
    Free Member

I think if you went to Gisburn expecting something like Glentress or Dalby then you should have done a bit more research.

I just think its a bit unfair/unhelpful being so negative, when quite a lot of people have put a lot of effort in with funding applications and volunteer dig days etc to try and make it better. They may have a way to go yet but people slagging it off before its really finished isn’t going to help is it.

http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=15006188

MartinGT
    Free Member

Thanks for the link Grumm, ill look out for the next dig day and try and get up there.

Wozza
    Free Member

Martin, next build day i heard is on this coming Sunday. Starts around 9.30-10ish. Once you’ve had a go at building some, you’ll never slag a trail centre again, come down, it’s hard work but very satisfying.

Oh and please “own with a set of bombers” the fella that recommended riding the trails to you.

Ben_Haworth

It’s not finished. The signposting will the very last thing to put in. Having seen pics of work-in-progress and other stuff I can reassure you that Gisburn Forest is going to be brilliant. Not long to wait now. Fingers crossed for late June / early July opening 🙂

Drac

Oh yes seen some pics and it does look pretty good.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I’ve done dig days up there and the red route is all coming together nicely now. The volunteer built section rides much better than I initially thought it would (when we were building it), it’s going to be very good, but high maintenance IMO, it’s very narrow trail thru boggy ground. The contractor build stuff is excellent. There’s loads more to be built when/if they get the funding for 2009/10.

The short DH lines were looking good, but now appear to have been mostly destroyed in recent FC felling work. Something I was suprised about, FC are usually more organised, ie not letting trail building take place in areas they know are about to be cleared by heavy machinery.

johnhoo
    Free Member

last time I was up there – about 5 years ago – it was mostly fireroad.

sounds like it’s all changed since then

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Most of the new build trails have felled trees across them to stop people riding them until it’s ready to ride and officially open, so best to leave it a few months until you go there.

trio25
    Free Member

I was up there last week, passing through on a bivvy trip. The stuff they are building looks good! We were only using the fireroads though so didn’t get close to it. Will be keeping an eye on when it opens. Oh and there was some black stuff I will never go near that was open. Warning signs about appropriate bike, full-face helmet and body armour were in place.

MartinGT
    Free Member

Mr Simonfbarnes, I must say, looking at your pictures of Gisburn, wasnt one titled Not Before Time!? Hmmmmm

Numpty disses unfinished trail centre ?

😉

carlosg
    Free Member

i've been up there a couple of times now and didn't find the lack of full waymarkers that bad.

Overall the trail is great to blast round (imo) even though it's quite short , however I fell off last friday near the end of the big dipper section and almost broke my thumb and can't change gear at the mo' , still stops any more injuries before I go on holiday!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Gisburn Forest’ is closed to new replies.