Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Gisburn Enduro – anyone going on here?
  • whippetboy
    Free Member

Any one going? Are you looking forward to it? The facebook page is pretty comprehensive really but I’d thought I’d moot the point on here? Stage 2 looks like some right pedalling, wonder where the other 3 stages are gonna be, guess they can’t miss out Hully Gully.

philbert31
    Free Member

Just emailed the organiser to see if there are any spaces left, if so I think I’ll sign up, I did the ard rock a couple of months ago and loved it so I’m well up for this! I’ve not been on the bike for a month due to working away so it’ll definitely just be for a laugh!

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Yep, in fact I’ve been there today checking out stage 2 ( the off piste section) first time I’ve done anything like this, really looking forward to it. I’d be surprised if they include hully gully tbh, the air ambulance would be on permanent call out.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    philfive
    Free Member

Yep I’m going, stage looks great and you can pedal if you wish just depends how serious you want to be :-).

flyingmonkeycorps

There’re three stages in total, not three plus stage 2 (with the natural bits). Stage 2 is gonna be a killer, the first section is just as fast as you dare (and can pedal!), then it drops briefly into the woods for a bit of slithery fun, then back onto the trailcentre for some lungs-out-of-mouth pedalling and a couple of fun drops.

Not sure what the other stages are yet, but I’m looking forward to finding out – if I were planning it I’d have Home Baked and Hully Gully, but we’ll see…

Full lap is just under 9 miles I think. Should be cracking, will be very nice if it stays dry and warm!

**edit** Look out for the creaky Hemlock with pink bars with its rider wheezing up the hills and feel free to say hello 😀

bungalistic
    Free Member

I’m going along with two friends also, is practice just on the sunday morning or on saturday too?

flyingmonkeycorps

I believe there’s an official practice lap on Sunday morning, but the trail centre will be open as usual on Saturday, so you’ll be able to ride round it though not really at race pace ‘cos there’ll be lots of folk on there. Stage 2 is there now and open as far as I know if you want to have a play on that.

flyingmonkeycorps

Stages have been announced. Stage 1 is Homebaked, stage 2 is the natural one into a bit of trailcentre, stage 3 is Swoopy.

Shame Hully Gully isn’t in there, but not to worry!

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Bugger, just my luck I post crap times on swoopy and homebaked 😡 Ah well, more practice required 😀

crotchrocket
    Free Member

I’ll be there. Practice sat pm and Sunday am

Woot! (On a Blue uzzi, say hi!)

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

I’ll be on a battered green nomad with my wife stopping a Rhodesian ridgeback dog going mental in the car park because it can’t come out on the trails with me. 😀

stumpyjon

I’m down as a stage manager, not sure what that will entail 😯

philfive
    Free Member

I’ll be there, I will be eating pies.

crotchrocket
    Free Member

Oh, and be nice to my wife – she will be a Marshall. 😉

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

crotchrocket – Member
    Oh, and be nice to my wife – she will be a Marshall.

And be nice to my wife, she’ll have a big dog with her 😆

flyingmonkeycorps

Black Hemlock with pink bars, as mentioned above. Been round a couple of times before, but I can’t make Saturday so practice will just be Sunday. I expect to be slow!

xiphon
    Free Member

I’ll be there, and so will my wife – both marshalling 🙂

whippetboy
    Free Member

To be honest, I’m looking forward to it but in retrospect, I’m disappointed they’ve released the stages early as anyone local can go round and practice before the event or official practice day. Seeing strava times posted on the facebook page sort of ruins the point of an enduro for me, as does failing to do more off-piste stuff that no one has ridden before. A regular there has an advantage already, enduro is supposed to be a level playing field, you turn up, practice (but not always) and ride and I feel like I’m going into this now with one arm tied around my back. So I’m just going to enjoy myself, to hell with the times!

I’ll be the grumpy looking one chewing on sour grapes on the day riding a cube, say hello if you dare!!

flyingmonkeycorps

Yeah, I know what you mean, but unless they cut all new trails for the race and don’t tell anyone the locals will always have an advantage, especially at a trail centre. I’m expecting to be doing my usual tickling of the lower ranks, fighting hard for third from last in class…

stumpyjon

Any feedback? Want another one next year (or possibly 3?) Went pretty well from an organising point of view if a little laid back at times. 280 odd entries, not bad for a first event, should mean a good chunk of cash for the trails.

philfive
    Free Member

Was great Jon, I enjoyed it but the tree section of stage 2 was terrible, for me anyways.

onlinebully
    Free Member

It was a good day I enjoyed stage 2 mixed it up a bit. Stage 3 was wicked with the big crowd on the banking, I think I even heard a cow bell!

philfive
    Free Member

Yeah I was shocked when I came around the corner and there were spectators 🙂

whippetboy
    Free Member

Hats off to the organisers, it was well run and fun. The weather was a bonus for this time of the year as well. The stages were good fun, a good mix and the crowd was great as well on stage 3 (made the extra effort at that point!).

Any ideas of when the times will be put up and anyone know of the photographers’ websites?

philfive
    Free Member

They are on the Facebook page now.

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

First time enduro for me so can’t compare to others but I thought it was a cracking event. Well run and organised with a great atmosphere and fantastic weather. All the competitors seemed to enjoy it so in my eyes a great success. Come 25th out of 280 and 7th in masters (101) Alright the last bit is shamelessly willy waving on my part but hey, nobody’s going to do it for me 😀

xiphon
    Free Member

*waves*

For those who raced, I was the one at the timing tent attaching the dibber chip to your wrist and asking you to test it…

From the other side of the race (the organising end!) it ran smoothly – only a handful of people didn’t ‘dab in’ their stage start or finish times, but this was easily rectified (apart from one).

In total we had 250 (252 I think) signed-on racers, and I think two DNS (one injury, one cracked bike)

🙂

EDIT: For those asking about photos (and soon results – please be patient, it might take a few days), check ->

http://www.rootsandrain.com/race1998/2013-sep-29-borderline-events-escape-to-gisburn-gisburn/photos/

philfive
    Free Member

Andy, I was the guy in the van parked up next to you. That’s some impressive times you got, I had a nightmare on stage 2 but enjoyed it all.

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Andy, I was the guy in the van parked up next to you. That’s some impressive times you got, I had a nightmare on stage 2 but enjoyed it all.

Sorry for the dog pestering you, the trouble is he sees a mtb’er and just wants to be friends 😀 Didn’t get to say good bye to you, when I got back to the car you’d already gone.

philfive
    Free Member

The dog wasn’t pestering at all, yeah I flew around the after the delay at stage 1 and I knew I wasn’t going to win so I shot off to nurse my weary legs 🙂 you got some good times.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Gisburn Enduro – anyone going on here?’ is closed to new replies.