Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Giro Rocloc system
  • mikey74
    Free Member

Does anyone know if you can get a replacement system for a helmet? My Xar broke last night and I can’t find them on the usual websites.

gonzy
    Free Member

i dont think its possible to replace the retention system..so i think your helmets had it…if the helmet’s under 3 years just bash it up and send it back for a new one under Giro’s crash replacement warranty

toons
    Free Member

Have you looked on eBay?

mikey74
    Free Member

Really? Shame. It’s over three years old 🙁

mikey74
    Free Member

Hmmm there are some on Ebay from Australia, which does suggest they are replaceable. However, I’m not sure which version mine is. It’s a first Gen Xar.

nbt

You are supposed to replace helmets at “reasonable” intervals anyway as the structure does degrade with age.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I think they used to sell them, no listings on Zyro’s website.

cynic-al
    Free Member

nbt – Member
    You are supposed to replace helmets at “reasonable” intervals anyway as the structure does degrade with age.

I’m still waiting for evidence of this!

z1ppy

I’ve replaced mine purely because from experience, over the previous 4 years it will have taken numerous small tumbles hits, loads of low branch hits and lots of general falling to the ground hits.
    I’ve only one head, & if I’m going to wear a helmet I’s prefer one I trust & replacing it every 3/4 (or after a major accident) is no hardship, as newer ones tend to come with better protection/cover (MIPS next?).

monkeychild
    Free Member

I remember seeing them advertised the other year (not much help I know) as I have a Xar as well.

sazter

Same happened to me, I did a quick search and found the head office in Ireland and they were happy to send me a new one. Worth checking. It may help that Bell is the same company?

teasel
    Free Member

the structure does degrade with age.

This isn’t true, although I suppose given enough time, anything will degrade.

The reality is that salt water and excessive heat will help deteriorate the foam but it’s not affected by UV, or very little else come to that. Obviously cyanoacrylic glues and the like eat into it, but with normal day to day wear and with a little regular cleaning, a helmet should last for as long as you fancy a change. Impacts notwithstanding, obviously.

I have a link somewhere but I’ve recently changed computers and my imported bookmarks have no symbols attached so aren’t easy to identify.

There are a lot of myths in the cycling world – helmet degradation through normal use is one of them.

teasel
    Free Member

My mistake – excessive UV does degrade it.

Still can’t find the bookmark but halfway down the page of the following link is Giro’s Rob Wesson discussing the facts…

http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/article/trail-tech-helmet-safety-38165/

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Giro Rocloc system’ is closed to new replies.