Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Giro lids…Chronicle or Montaro?
  • onedpete
    Free Member

So, I managed to write off my lovely giro Chronicle lid the other night in a high speed get off night riding on exmoor. Ripped the peak clean out of its socket on one side and noticed the next day I’d actually cracked the eps too, It didn’t feel like I hit the deck that hard, but it must’ve been a fair old wallop I guess!! Anyway, giro are happy to do crash replacement for £59 which is reasonable. However, they also said I could get a different model too, and after enquiring about the Montaro, I was told I could have it for the same price! Nice in theory as it’s a 50 quid more expensive lid. Result. I’m tempted as I think the peak is a little shorter on the Montaro which would be good as I think it dug in and partially caused the damage to my Chronicle. I also found the helmet would tip forward very slightly during rocky descents which I partially attributed to the longer peak. What are people’s thoughts? I know the Montaro had major issues with the pads falling to bits, Chronicle ones been fine, is this still the case. Anyone tried both? Thanks guys n girls

joebristol

I’m considering these two options at the moment for my next helmet. I haven’t been able to find a montaro to try on but the chronicle fits nicely. I’m inclined just to go with the chronicle as a result.

If I were in your position I’d be very tempted to go Montaro for the same money but would want to try it on first for fit.

pnik

I’ve got a montaro that i got towards the end of last year, i’ve just ordered replacement pads but they’re ok for a while, just wanted them on standby. I like it and as i recall it was the peak i found especially offputting about the chronicle at the time, i dont remember there being a huge difference in fit, i was also sucker for the gopro mount, although it is my intention to use it for a light more than a camera.
    I m inclined to overheating and vaguely remember the montaro having better or more vents. Fo the same money i’d say it’s a no brainer

joemmo
    Free Member

No long term trial of the chronicle but I tried both that and the montaro on for size and the fit was very similar. I have the montaro and I really like it. So far the montaro has been good and although the pads peeled a bit they haven’t got worse.

The peak is pretty huge but at least it pivots up out of the way. Given the choice at no extra cost you may as well go for the Montaro.

One final alert : the ‘vermillion’ looks red but is fluoro orange. I like it but it’s quite lary

twistedpencil

IainC to the thread! I want to know if the pads issue on the montaro has been resolved yet, still putting off the next lid purchase….

onedpete
    Free Member

I’m wondering if chronicle pads would fit the montaro? Anyone tried?

Fat-boy-fat

My latest set of replacement pads for my Montaro are lasting much better than previous replacements. Saying that, I’ve not been biking anywhere hot since getting them. 6 months without peeling though.

mahalo

i have both models. the montaro is superior. feels more streamlined and compact. the Chronical is slightly more chunky. I have swapped the peaks round to create bespoke snazzy designs.

think pads are universal.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’ve identified about 5 different versions of the montaro pad. I’ve managed to kill one of the revised ones so far. However, due to injury, I’ve not been testing in quite the same way I was.

I’ve been told that Feb 2017 was when they introduced a running change to resolve this. However, no one can say when all the existing stock was used up.

One of the sets I tested worked really well in that the brow side material stretched as the absorbent layer expanded but the layer attached to the helmet didn’t so it avoided the wrinkling issue. I’ve not tested this long term to check the sweat vs glue issue though.

onedpete
    Free Member

Hey Mahalo, how do the two compare fit wise? Assuming the same really… Looks like the chronicle is a little deeper fit? Gotta say, my chronicle fitted perfectly in a medium, probably the best fitting lid I’ve tried. Think I’m swaying towards the Montaro atm…

mahalo

size wise no difference but id say the montaro is more comfortable to be honest. the chronicle retention thing cathches the skin on my fat neck sometimes!!

wl
    Free Member

I went for a Chronicle the other day – just awaiting delivery – they’re £60-£70 online right now. Tried one on and it was easily the best fit of any lid I’ve had in 20+ years. Made the Bell Super I tried feel like it was made from wood.

onedpete
    Free Member

So hopefully the pad issue is sorted now. I’m assuming any lids coming direct from Zyro fisher will be the latest editions, so should have the most up to date pads I’m guessing.I’ll have my old montaro pads as back ups if they fit too.

onedpete
    Free Member

Yeah, I really wanted the Bell Super 3 originally, but found it very uncomfortable, literally like having a builders hard hat on!! Giro always seem to fit me well, i had the old school Xen lid back in the day too. I loved the Spesh Ambush too, nearly went for it, but the chronicle was a little more plush on my noggin and took the win. The montaro wasn’t in the running purely down to budget, but now it’s in the running. Guess it comes down to colours, the matt grey of my chronicle is really nice,probs just go for the matt black montaro, keep it simple…

wl
    Free Member

Builder’s hat exactly. Rock hard, pressure points everywhere. I had Xens too – they were great. The matt grey Chronicle is v nice. I went matt black coz I’m a boring git.

iainc

I may have written a few threads about the Montaro in the past…. 🙂

Great lid, crap pads. The Chronicle pads dont fit it BTW.

The most recent one I had was around 6 months ago, and as with all the others, the pads died on the first ride.

If you were to purchase a Montaro today, it would likely be date stamped as manufactured sometime in 2016, so no way of knowing if you’d get the falling apart pads or revised ones.

I’m sticking with my Spesh Ambush, even though I prefer the fit and feel of the Giro. I didn’t like the fit of the Chronicle as it fouled my specs.

mahalo

ive had my montaro 2 yrs and only on the 3rd set of pads, and they only went in last week.

nickc

Montaro here, second set of pads in about 6 months I think.

iainc

So, are the new Montaro pads all sorted now ?

joebristol

I went Chronicle and am happy with it. A mate bought a Troy Lee AM1 and it’s significantly heavier / hotter than the Chronicle.

I couldn’t find a montaro to try. The advantages are that the plastic better covers the polystyrene at the back and you get a GoPro mount I believe. But you get disintegrating pads as a trade off.

iainc

Yeah, I have had quite a few Montaro helmets and many more sets of pads. The Chronicle never worked for me, shape wise.

One day I’ll buy a Montaro, but only once they have fixed the pads 😀

ordhill
    Free Member

Chronicle pads not the best either. 1st set on mine have gone after 3 months. Might have something to do with excessive sweating out here in Singapore though.

pothead
    Free Member

Matt black montaro here for around a year & a half,still on original pads. Not tried the chronicle but montaro is easily the most comfortable lid I’ve ever worn

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Been looking at both recently as I cracked my current lid a couple of weeks back too.

Wouldn’t have a Chronicle as there’s too much exposed polystyrene round the bottom edge of the lid. Means they end up looking battered and shabby really quickly. Same with an Ambush Comp. Full hardshell coverage has been around since at least the days of the Exodus, so it’s hardly new tech.

The missus has had a Montara for a year now. The first set of pads failed quite quick, but the second ones are still going OK.

tombstoner
    Free Member

Thanks for the delightful discussion. Does anyone have a strong preference on fit with these two helmets?

I too recently tried on a chronicle and felt like it was the best fitting helmet I’ve worn. But like the commercial sucker I am the “upgraded” Montero intrigues me. Is the fit and protection more or less the same?

crashrash

Fit is similar – I have a Montaro and really like it – except the pads – I am on set 5 in two years and not sure if the newer ones are any better frankly. Otherwise really good lid!

joebristol

I’ve had a chronicle for 8 months or so, still loving it. Went Matt grey and I’ve had a few comments on how nice it looks.

The exposed Eps but is fine still – not looking tatty at all yet.

It fits nicer / is more comfy than either the old Specialized helmet I had, or my Ivex road helmet and Btwin trail helmet.

No pad dramas so far.

joemmo
    Free Member

I’ll throw in a bit of a medium term update – still like the helmet and find the fit to be excellent even when used all day. Its taken a couple of minor dings with my head on it and done it’s job.

The peak could do with being a bit smaller and I tend to ride with it flipped up on my drop-bar bike. The brow pad is just starting to delaminate but I’ve stitched it up to try and get a bit more life from it.

BillOddie

I have the Chronicle. No complaints.  Feels sturdy on the head unlike a more XC lid, pads fine, doesn’t feel overly warm. Peak is long but it keeps the sun/rain out of my eyes.

iainc

I did have another go with a new Montaro, about 3 months ago –  pads were starting to peel apart after first ride so it went back to Wiggle for a refund.  I am quite surprised that Giro haven’t sorted this, given their generally respected position on good helmets.  My road Giro Synthe MIPS, which is nearly a year and half old remains the most comfy and light lid I have ever had !  (and the pads are same as the day I unwrapped it, despite weekly use, and a slosh out in a warm basin with weak shampoo after every ride)

mahalo

i have one of each on rotation, along with a Met Roam. my Montaro is a fair few years old now and still my favourite helmet. replaced the first two sets of pads in quite quick succession, the third have been in for ages. no such trouble with the Chronicle, same pads since new. The chronicle fits just as well as he Montaro but i just feel a touch more of a mushroom head wearing it.

GolfChick
    Free Member

Seeing as giro have been around so long making decent helmets I’m shocked by the utter cr@pness of the liners in the Montaro helmets. I’m on my second set and it’s being returned for a refund any day now because this pair are falling apart after record time. I thought I’d risk it but it wasn’t worth it and I’ll be swapping brand now.

tombstoner
    Free Member

Went with the chronicle due to the lack of pads issues, the relatively cheap $70 price, and how comfortable I know it is.

twistedpencil

Remember kids, guns don’t kill people Giro helmets do, I read about it in a thread on Singletrack….

The montaro debacle has got me looking elsewhere now. Smith forefront is leading the choice battle at the moment.

chris85
    Free Member

Does the chronicle look a lot more mushroom on the head though?

jam-bo

Still on my original montaro pads…

joebristol

I don’t think the Chronicle looks particularly ‘mushroom’ on the head no – mainly because the peak is big / long and I like that about mine. It might be a colour thing too – the Matt grey one I went for is quite subtle but there are some very bright colours.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Giro lids…Chronicle or Montaro?’ is closed to new replies.