Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Giro D'Italia TV coverage
  • SaxonRider

The Giro D’Italia starts on Friday. Anyone know how/where it can be watched?

akira

It’s on Eurosport I believe.

phil40
    Free Member

Eurosport has full coverage. I think ITV4 did coverage last year. not sure about this year though.

IvanDobski
    Free Member

Eurosport player app – £4 per month and has live footage every day. Alternatively trawl the streams on steephill.tv

scaredypants

Does the eurosport player allow any-time viewing (say, like bbc iplayer) or is it only live streaming ?

SaxonRider

I was extremely pleased with ITV 4’s coverage of the TdF last year. I would subscribe to Eurosport if I could be assured that it would be as smooth and faultless as ITV’s streaming.

Unfortunately, my luck with different sports streaming coverage (other than BBC’s and ITV’s) has been very, very patchy.

chakaping
    Free Member

The Cycling Podcast are doing daily bulletins, excellent analysis with a bit of gentle banter.

birky
    Free Member

Edit: Link was already posted

IvanDobski
    Free Member

I find Eurosport to be fine, normally if it’s that or ITV4 I tend to go for Eurosport. They have some on demand content but not, as far as I’ve noticed, full “on demand”.

chakaping
    Free Member

I used to prefer ITV4’s approach with higher production values and more context, colour and interviews at the expense of the actual racing time shown.

Still go for this if its a flat sprinters’ stage, however my Ned Boulting tolerance levels have dropped considerably so it’s a tougher call between the two channels now.

Might depend who’s commentating on Eurosport.

cp

Eurosport player is streaming only and works well. tiny bit of on-demand but it’s crap.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Eurosport player is streaming only and works well

hmmm.

Last year their Giro coverage was absolutely woeful, their streams constantly crashing and repeating (and not just me, they got a kicking on social media).

tiny bit of on-demand but it’s crap

again hmmm. Possibly a bit hit and miss but they have/had entire one-day classics, and multiple stages of recent races in the “videos” section. It does tend to be a day or 2 later though. Currently has stages 5-8 of Tour of Turkey on there (each vid between 1hr 30 and 2hrs long), 2 stages of Tour of Yorkshire, and the latest Voxwomen show.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Eurosport on demand is pretty good. Pretty much everything they show live goes on-demand the next day and I think is usually up for about a week.

mildbore

I usually record it off Euros port and watch it at my leisure. Usually need to start it half an hour early and get it to overrun by at least an hour though

cp

Eurosport on demand is pretty good. Pretty much everything they show live goes on-demand the next day and I think is usually up for about a week.

interesting, I’ll have to check that out. thinking about it I’ve not checked for a few months as it was just so bad compared to other on demand services.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

I usually record it off Euros port and watch it at my leisure. Usually need to start it half an hour early and get it to overrun by at least an hour though

yeah, be aware that

1) their clock is CET
    2) it’s also in the Twilight Zone, and there’s a good chance that the last 6 hours live streaming of something like horse dancing or monkey tennis has over run…

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

It’s starting just up the road from me. I will put people up, for a reasonable price 😉

hammerite
    Free Member

They’re probably not covering the Giro, but it is worth checking out a channel called Bike. I thought they were just showing highlights/recorded stuff but the showed the Tour of Romandie live last week. Chances are they’ll have others too.

The difficulty with ITV4 and Eurosport is that for the very big races you end up pitting Sean Kelly and Carlton Kirkby against Phil and Paul. Now I can’t stand Carlton most of the time, but him being paired with any former pro is preferable to the Phil n Paul cliche show.

chakaping
    Free Member

Is it actually on itv4? I couldn’t find it.

Wasn’t Carlton Kirby on Eurosport last night was it? He was on 3 days of Dunkirk after though.

hammerite
    Free Member

No, yesterday it was Rob Hatch I think, he’s the chap who doesn’t Anglicise all the riders names.

I think the Giro is usually one the few races that the commentators cover from a portacabin near the finish line, as opposed from a studio in West London. So we could easily end up with Carlton back on the mic on Tuesday once they’re racing in Italy, I hope not though!

SaxonRider

That Tour de France on TV site is both pretty informative and quite funny. Thanks for the heads up.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Today, keep your eyes out for a spectating dude in a ludicrous blue Pisces-print batik shirt and green shorts, perhaps astride a mostly-debaged Mk 1 Blue Pig… it’s meeeee 🙂

maccruiskeen

Today, keep your eyes out for a spectating dude in a ludicrous blue Pisces-print batik shirt and green shorts, perhaps astride a mostly-debaged Mk 1 Blue Pig… it’s meeeee

Good luck. Hope you win.

stevious

Eurosport player has improved massively in the last year or so, and you can ‘rewind’ for a few hours if you’ve missed the live coverage. If I’ve REALLY missed it I just go to steephill.tv to see if there’s a spoiler-free youtube clip of the finale I can watch.

Agree that the commentary can be a bit meh sometimes but it’s 400000 times better than Phil & Paul. It’s Sean Kelly & Rob Hatch on Eurosport at the moment – a good combination.

jekkyl

gofasterstripes, if you catch yourself on tele take a pic and put it up for fame points.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Awww 🙂 I Just wanted to say “Hi Guys!”.

MissStripes was perplexed that they were drafting cars! I figured if it’s not a team car it’s fair game?

hammerite
    Free Member

Might please a few people… ITV have pensioned of Phil and Paul for the Tour apparently. Ned and David Millar have apparently got the job.

bainbrge

Great if true!

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Giro D'Italia TV coverage’ is closed to new replies.