Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 252 total)
  • Giro d'Italia thread (with likely spoilers)
  • bikebouy
    Free Member

Yup I shouted at the telly when Gilbert went.. Great win for him.

I can’t think of that guys name the Lotto Jumbo rider, begins with a K.. You know the bloke.. Well I’m kinda hoping he’ll go all out for a win, he’s been at the front attacking and breaking free to be taken back all week..

However I’ve kinda settled to a Bertie Win, relaxed after Portes 2min addition, sort of taken the edge off, certainly with the race organisers backing Aru.
    But in his defence he looked knackered today after the finish.

Intxausti’s looking pretty in the mountains jersey, suits him 8)

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Get on there, I do love a Gilbert win!

Aru looking like he suffered in that one, that weight loss must be taking its toll in he rain…

Betancur coming back!

Lifer
    Free Member

Gilbert is always class.

That FDJ rider descending off the front had me clenching a few times, fair play for keeping it upright though!

mrblobby
    Free Member

Today’s stage looks set to be a thriller 🙂

dirtyrider
    Free Member

What’s the point of stages like today’s? Just seems like a bit of a procession

legend
    Free Member

Congrats to the Italians for handling a level crossing without a full meltdown happening!

Shame for Gerro not making the start (OGE fanboi here) I assume he’s cripped after the crash yesterday?

bikebouy
    Free Member

#transitionstage
    #sprintersflyhometonight

DanW
    Free Member

What’s the point of stages like today’s? Just seems like a bit of a procession

I guess even the pros need a “rest” day in a month of solid racing. It is interesting looking at the Pro power files for these days- NP is somewhere around 180W or something ridiculously low so it seems to be a bit of a Z1 day for them. There was an interesting interview with a pro from the 70’s (I forget who) who said these easy days really threw his rhythm and he much preferred hard days from start to finish and really grew in to the race, which although sounds nuts, does makes sense

palmer77
    Free Member

Lifer – Member
    Gilbert is always class.
    That FDJ rider descending off the front had me clenching a few times, fair play for keeping it upright though!
    POSTED 15 HOURS AGO #

He seemed completely out of control, makes you wonder though as there were a few spills yesterday.

brakes
    Free Member

interesting interview with a pro from the 70’s

he was talking about doing the Giro and then the Tour of Switzerland or something straight after – 32 days of solid racing, no rest days, no flat stages.

scaredypants

He seemed completely out of control, makes you wonder though as there were a few spills yesterday.

Didn’t see it but wasn’t it about this stage a year or two ago that everybody took the piss out of wiggo & friends for kack descending in the wet ?
    Maybe they butter their roads ?

crazy-legs

It is interesting looking at the Pro power files for these days- NP is somewhere around 180W or something ridiculously low so it seems to be a bit of a Z1 day for them.

Wiggins said something similar about the TdF too – that sitting in the peloton spinning along at 25-28mph was so easy that you’d actually LOSE fitness by doing it!
    Basically that you needed the hills, the hard stages, the attacks just to keep things interesting and keep your fitness up.

atlaz
    Free Member

And this is the reason we need live telemetry from the riders so we know who is where. “Something has happened, we don’t know who is involved” is the summary

mrblobby
    Free Member

Oh dear, not watching it today but sounds like another chunk of time lost for Porte. Did Contador lose 30 seconds to Aru too?

Spin
    Free Member

All change again. Not the end of the world for Contador but certainly the final nail in Porte’s coffin.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Looks like it’s being debated whether the crash happened inside the last 3km… if there’s a chance of Aru being in pink then I’d assume it’ll be judged to be outside!

Spin
    Free Member

Defo outside the 3k it seems.

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Meh.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Meh indeed. Game over for Aru and Porte.

butcher

Don’t think it’s quite game over for Aru. Big chunk to claim back, and Contador does not like getting dropped once he’s got the lead…but you never know, plenty of racing to be done yet.

Porte on the other hand… Shame, but he just doesn’t seem to be able to finish a grand tour without having any problems. Who knows, maybe he’ll take himself a stage win.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

great ride from Bertie today, result was always going to be so

DanW
    Free Member

meh indeed

bikebouy
    Free Member

#imgoinghomesheila

atlaz
    Free Member

Did Porte just give up. There’s no way he should give up 4m to the leaders given his pedigree as an ITT rider.

Australian media suggests that his head wasn’t in it after the last few days. Guess it’s not much fun to come to a grand tour as the leader of a team that is capable of a podium (at least) to be chasing for a top 10 because of a wheel change and a crash

bikebouy
    Free Member

No official notice yet but he’s already commented on going home and also made comments as to talking to Dave about it too.
    I reckon he’ll not start today.
    Bloody shame IMO, if he goes it sends a strong enough signal to the rest of the Sky team that it’s all about him. Contrary to his persona this just could become the unraveling of Sky as a team and set a period of instability within.
    Sky have some fantastic team riders, whilst they’ve been held back in support of one (or two) team leaders it’s a great way to give the rest of the guys a chance to ride in the manner they really want to, rather than be told not to.
    #kiri
    #koing
    #nieve
    Let them ride Dave, give them free rein to show the talents they have, too late for a Giro win but stages can still be clawed back without #imgoinghomesheila.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

if his head isn’t in it, his head isn’t in it, its easy to get demoralised after the week he’s had

what id like him to do is take todays stage, lay down a marker, then quit if he wants,

atlaz
    Free Member

I don’t know if the Giro is the cost of Porte riding for Froome in the Tour but it’s probably time he stuck to being a super domestique with stage race wins in the smaller races. He’s like Uran, good but not great and not a team leader for a grand tour. They should throw in behind developing their other riders especially now Wiggins is gone.

tonyg2003

Great ride from Bertie. He’s a classy combination of climber and TTer.

I’d be very disappointed in Porte if he goes home. You never know what can happen in a big race. There have been surprise grand tour winners in the past and there are also individual stages to go for. Look what Bertie has overcome to be where he is in this tour and you can see why he is a multi tour winner and why (IMHO) Porte will never win a big tour.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Great ride from Bertie. He’s a classy combination of climber and TTer and dodgy beef supplies

This generations LA with Astana as Postal

As for Porte if you come ot win something and you cannot most folk would lose something in the motivational stakes.

perhaps does say he lacks mental toughness but not so sure. Personally i just think he does not have enough talent [ or the correct steaks]

mrblobby
    Free Member

Hadn’t heard the rumours of him going home. Makes sense in a practical Sky sort of way though if he’s not ok physically (after crash) or mentally. An extra week of recovery and training before putting everything on Froome for the Tour. Let the rest of the team go for stage wins and maybe back Viviani for red.

Is a bit of a shame to feel like the Giro is already over despite what was meant to be a thrilling final week showdown with 5 summit finishes still to come. Bit like last years Tour really.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

All over bar the shouting now. Shame. I started watching it on Eurosport in the first week but a combination of Bertie being dominant and the commentators being annoying has turned me off.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Commentators annoying on Eurosport? Blimey. Well avoid ITV at all costs then!

DanW
    Free Member

Porte supposedly has a knee injury. If so, it must be crushing to know the world is calling you a wimp for throwing in the towel for being “not mentally strong enough”.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Eurosport has chosen the wrong commentators, agree with that. Matt Stephens and Dan Llyod should do it 😀

I’m with RCS on choosing shorter routes/stages. Think this has been the right choice for a mix up Giro, despite the team(s) quite predictable tactics in shielding Lead Riders there has been opportunity for rouleurs to pop off the front and not just be there for TV advertising either. For that RCS have to be applauded, but that’s about it.
    In one instant they’ve killed the Tour, chosen to play the “rules” when it suited them by backing an Italian for the win only for it to flat when Bertie, predictably, slammed it into the big ring and rode off. If one person stands out in all of this its him and his strength and sheer ability to overcome mental and physical knocks, on and off the bike. Whilst Aru has been showing great depth of aptitude and ability, turning himself inside out most days, he’s still got a great few years coming to him. When Nibbali drops a cog Aru will be there to glide past whilst at the same time wondering to himself if it’s the new generation of now 23,4,5 yr olds about to flourish. I think so.

Back to Sky for a moment, a team rammed with class riders. A team that has both talent and ability in at least 5 of the current 9 in the squad to be set free and each have their own personal wins. But for me it’s Dave making limiting decisions imposed on them. No wonder they lost Cotaldo last year, wonder if Kyri stays another year. Heano and Neive astonishing climbers in thier own right seemingly held back in a net cast of support roles. That can’t last for very long.
    As for Richie, I really do feel for him. The decisions RCS made last week in enforcing a rule that forbids Sportsmanship,respect for other riders and commeradery typifies, for me, a “self, self only” culture. I don’t really like that.

But it’s ok for me to sit and ponder like I’m in charge, I am afterall just another Fan of road racing.

slowoldman

I hope Ritchie does start today. I would like to see how he goes in the big hills. He could yet move up the standings.

scaredypants

Eurosport commentator is a bit wearing – I know he’s probably correct but the over-pronuciation of names seems more important to him than the riding

[video]https://youtu.be/Iv2WCNoxUHw[/video]

scaredypants

Porte ?

I reckoned he was a solid bet for second place but the ruling and then the crash must’ve been a right kick in the guts

Sky should definitely just enjoy themselves for the rest of the race – and TBH Richie doesn’t really seem one for the breakaway or even towing a team-mate around, though the hills coming up will be good training for most things I’d have thought.

Is he due to ride the TdF ?

burnsybhoy
    Free Member

Up until the puncture that cost Porte seconds he didn’t look out of place with Bertie in the first week. I was sure after the ITT and the mountain stages he would finish 2nd overall to Bertie. I’m still looking forward to todays stage.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Porte finish 28 minutes down today

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 252 total)

The topic ‘Giro d'Italia thread (with likely spoilers)’ is closed to new replies.