Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 86 total)
  • Giro d'Italia
  • Ro5ey
    Free Member

Starts in two days in Dublin.

Young Quintana to climb every mountain?

Old man Evans to gain in the ITTs and hold on??

Joaquim “always the brides maid” Rodríguez to finally and deservedly bag a Grand Tour ???

Or A.N Other to come to the fore

And if Kittel is racing the Giro, will he miss the Tour? Cav defo paid for racing and finishing the Giro in last year Tour imho

whatnobeer
    Free Member

That will be not far off the top 3 up there. Possibly with Uran instead of Evans, but with Quintana and Purito going for the top 2. The few places behind them should interesting as well.

I reckon Kittel will win most of the sprints but may pack it in before the end of the tour. Viviani to win the points jersey.

scaled
    Free Member

Kittel is a much younger man than Cav!

I fancied a few quid on Quintana for the giro when the route was released but the odds were so short it wasn’t worth bothering!

I hope he’s worked on his suffering face for this year.

nemesis
    Free Member

Starts in two days in Dublin.

No it doesn’t. Well I hope not as I’ll be in Belfast to watch the start 🙂

footflaps

Belfast / Dublin – what’s the difference?

😉

nemesis
    Free Member

That’s fighting talk 😆

bikebouy
    Free Member

Looking forward to this (as I always do) but for some reason I’m less interested than years gone by, mad that as this is my favorite GT of all of them.

Rodríguez FTW, Sky for best team, Cav to win a few sprints.

Maybe it’s because of that formula I’m slightly less interested this year… 😕

hatter

Going out to see one of the high mountains stages at the end of the month can’t bloody wait, hoping to witness a death or glory Quintana attack as that’s the only way he’s going to win the overall.

Also, don’t count out Dan Martin, Garmin have shown they know how to win the Giro after all. Rigoberto Uran also has a very strong QPQS squad behind him, if he gets up the order early on he will have some very strong helpers and could be very hard to dislodge.

The lack of a notable ‘big gun’ (Contador, Froome, Nibali) means the race is pretty open, looking forward to the fireworks.

nemesis
    Free Member

Cav to win a few sprints.

Er… I’d put money on him not winning a single sprint at the Giro this year…

I reckon Dan Martin might do a Heysedal. Would be great. So long as he can stay upright 😕

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Who apppointed Nemesis as STW’s auto correct? 😀

Got Dan Martin in my dream team for being in pink after the first day’s TTT in BELFAST

mefty
    Free Member

Historically sprinters tended to peak in their late twenties and early thirties (Cipo. Pettachi, Zabel, McEwen for most recent examples), whether that will continue is another matter.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

scaled – Member

Cav’s 28 Kittel’s 25 . Hardly a much younger man .

scaredypants

He’s 3years younger which means he’s only 2 years younger than Cavendish was last year

bikebouy
    Free Member

My comments were meant to be it’s going to be a bit formulaic..

Which I think is a shame.

I too am a fan of Dan Martin, hoping he’ll do well by winning a stage or two and being up there on the podium.

mudshark
    Free Member

I’ve picked my velogames fantasy team, anyone else doing one?

speckledbob
    Free Member

It may not go all Kittels way in the sprints with Buhanni riding. Also Viviani was really fast in the Tour of Turkey.

I’ll go for Rodriguez but would really like Dan Martin to win. Haveny seen the route yet so may all be bollocks.

HughStew

I’ve picked my velogames fantasy team, anyone else doing one?

I’ve got one. Quintana, Kittel, Martin and Hesjedal as my big guns, plus a few “randoms” and Johnny Hoogerland. I’ve been an admirer ever since the 2011 TdF barbed wire incident.

chrismac

I dont understand why you would start the Giro in Northern Ireland. Its not noted for its proximity to Italy. Presumably there is a financial reason behind the decision

bikebouy
    Free Member

Italian Immigrants more likely..

Just guessin’ like.. 😉

nemesis
    Free Member

It adds flavour to events like the Tour/Giro and helps spread the word further than just the fairly well saturated local audience.

From what I hear from people over there, NI is turning pink in preparation and people seem to be getting on board with it.

eskay

chrismac – Member

I dont understand why you would start the Giro in Northern Ireland. Its not noted for its proximity to Italy. Presumably there is a financial reason behind the decision

Works both ways. For the organiser, greater exposure of the race.
    For the host country, increased visitors etc etc.

scaredypants

I’m in (velogames)

Are we having a stw league ?

(Seems Realman’s revising for his finals or something)

footflaps

From what I hear from people over there, NI is turning pink in preparation and people seem to be getting on board with it.

Sure is, this was our hotel last week:

rusty90
    Free Member

I dont understand why you would start the Giro in Northern Ireland.

Coming back from Lake Garda last year we got held up on the way to Verona airport by the Tour of Poland of all things.

mogrim

I’d like to see Purito win, if only because the poor guy’s been second so many times…

nemesis
    Free Member

Makes a change from red/white/blue and green/white/orange 🙂

atlaz
    Free Member

This Giro is a bit of a disaster for the organisers. Most of the big names are staying away so they’re left with a “best of the rest” tour.

nemesis
    Free Member

Sometimes makes for the best racing though…

akira

Hmmmm not on itv4 this year, bit annoying.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

This Giro is a bit of a disaster for the organisers. Most of the big names are staying away so they’re left with a “best of the rest” tour.

It’s a pretty strong field I reckon. There’s always a couple of big name GC guys or sprinters who do Le Tour rather the Giro or vice versa.

Sure they’re missing Contador, Nibali and Froome but Purito, Quinatana, Uran and Evans should make for an interesting race. Likewise they’ve missed out on Cav and Griepel but Viviani and Kittel and top notch sprinters too.

In some ways its better not having an out and out favourite, should lead to some interesting racing.

butcher

And if Kittel is racing the Giro, will he miss the Tour? Cav defo paid for racing and finishing the Giro in last year Tour imho

Cav was ill when he started the Tour last year, which probably had a lot more to do with his performance then the Giro.

I’m not putting all of my money on Kittel just yet either, as he’s not really made that much of an impression outside of the Tour, and as pointed out, Viviani is going pretty quick at the mo.

I boringly predict Quintana for the GC. But would like to see Evans and Porte do well too. Whether they will or not is another matter entirely.

rusty90
    Free Member

But would like to see Evans and Porte do well too

Porte isn’t riding (pulled out after abandoning the Tour de Romandie)

butcher

Porte isn’t riding (pulled out after abandoning the Tour de Romandie)

Didn’t realise that (obviously). How come he abandoned?

atlaz
    Free Member

Nah, Porte pulled out of the Giro a month ago, supposedly as he was down on form after illness so he could focus on supporting Froome again in the tour. Somewhere the truth is in there and my guess is they didn’t think he had what it’d take to win so wanted to put their eggs all in the Tour de France basket.

whippersnapper
    Free Member

Here ya. A velogames league

League Name: Singletrackworld
    League Code: 07145755

HughStew

Huzzah!
    The Giro hasn’t even started yet and I’m already ranked No1 in the Singletrackworld league.
    I’ll take a screenshot for posterity.

scaredypants

<heads back to change name to aardvark racing>

speckledbob
    Free Member

Nice one whippersnapper. I’m down as bobs speckled boys. How hard is that to get the people you want for 100 points?

whippersnapper
    Free Member

Bump…a day left to get a team in

swavis

I’m in! And last 🙄

I predict more mid table mediocrity for me again 😆

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 86 total)

The topic ‘Giro d'Italia’ is closed to new replies.