Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • girls mtb site
  • holly
    Free Member

swmbo wants to join a girls mtb site or a site that can give for girlies

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

don't we all ?

BontyBuns
    Free Member

I was just looking for one of those. When you find one please post it's addy. 😆

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    foxyrider
    Free Member

there was one in conjunction with bikemagic – she cycles – wasn't it closed down?

bigyinn
    Free Member

Its about time we had a readers wives section methinks!

flippinheckler
    Free Member

I know its mainly US based …Womens Lounge

foxyrider
    Free Member

Readers Wife Section

I'll Start 😉

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I was talking to a girl biker on Friday, and she said she wanted to create a biking website for girls to cover the stuff that most blokes seem to know instinctively, like how to mend a puncture, read a map etc etc

boxelder

I've often wondered what puts girls off the normal male clubs/sites…..

🙄

If anywhere Keswick, KMB have a keen group of ladies. Contact your local shop? Alternatively, see if there is a local Trailquest/MBO scene/club, as they usually have quite a few active females (without beards and Marins before anyone starts)

ebygomm
    Free Member

there was one in conjunction with bikemagic – she cycles – wasn't it closed down?

It was recreated when that happened

http://www.shecycles.net

boxelder

Most users ever online was 16 on Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:04 pm

Let's see how that increases now…..and how many will be she's I wonder?

holly
    Free Member

My missus has been having an ongoing problem cycling.
    We changed her saddle for a Specialized womens one and that helped for a while but now she needs advice from a girls site.
    No boys allowed see.
    I remember the site that was for girls on bike magic.
    I wonder why it shut down ?
    Guess overheads were pricey.

ebygomm
    Free Member

You may want to get her to read this thread Topic – saddles for women

BontyBuns
    Free Member

i'll tuck my salad between my legs when i'm using the site.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Overheads running a forum are pretty low TBH, it will have been lack of use I'll wager. I don't know of any, sorry.

I'd happily make and run a women-specific forum for MTBing but I think this is about the only instance where people would not just want a general forum for all, meaning it'd be a "women with contact-patch problem" forum lol. We all get rubbed bits and bruised bits at times, it's just the blokes are a bit more outgoing about what they'll describe I think?

We do have some lasses on here who might step in and email you for more private discussion!

ebygomm
    Free Member

The current shecycles was set up when the old one folded, it's not got huge traffic but enough core users to be interested in seeing it carrying on and it's costs nothing.

Singletrackworld asked for views on whether a female specific forum was worth having and the consensus was no – but then they asked on their own forum which imo is very male orientated. It obviously doesn't bother the ladies who are here but I think for some it would be off putting.

The ukclimbing "what womens saddle" got far better female answers than most threads I've seen on here.

Anna-B
    Free Member

The best thing I ever did was go to a Spesh shop and use the arse-ometer to get exactly the right width saddle for my shape. I haven't had any sitting related problems since I've been using it. If she's done this and still having trouble then as coffeeking says, there are women on here who are happy to help – others in the past have asked for female specific help via e-mail. Give it a try, or my e-mails in profile if she wants.

becky_kirk43
    Free Member

I think its a matter of posting the question on here and hoping the guys are nice about it, or saying you have a question that needs e-mailing to a lady or 2 and people will be only to happy to help (as long as I'm online I'm happy to offer what advice I can give)

holly
    Free Member

We both have Rockhopper pro's and swmbo got a specialized saddle fitted for her on the bum o meter lol
    However on the top of her legs towards the groin she keeps pinching herself on the edge of the saddle and after an hour or two in the saddle her bits she says begin to become sore though there is a groove in and hole in the saddle.

I have been wondering as the bike is not wsd and the frame is a 19
    When she rode her apollo it was more sit up and beg posture and she didnt have the problem.
    So I have been thinking of changing the stem to one where you can alter the angle.

cinnamon_girl

Am always happy to help, e-mail in profile if preferred.

Please reassure her that the majority of the guys on here are pussy cats. 😉

Does the bike have riser bars? As regards saddle, always worth checking out other shorts/liners. Also, what height is she? Women-specific frames don't suit everyone – all mine are men's and I'm 5'5". Is the top tube too long?

mrsgrips
    Free Member

Molgrips and I spent ages sorting out my saddles… I rode for the longest time without padded shorts because I got pinching in my nether regions…if the saddle is soft enough you may try this. Also changing the bars etc to change the upward position or moving the seat forward or back a bit? Mine was tilted down for while so I'd not have it touching my bits at all.

Since having my daughter all of that's changed and to be honest I have less trouble now (not that I'm suggesting having kids to solve your problems as they lead to so many other 😉 )

I'm interested in that shecycles site…my lurk on there for a bit now too 😉

Woody
    Free Member

However on the top of her legs towards the groin she keeps pinching herself on the edge of the saddle and after an hour or two in the saddle her bits she says begin to become sore though there is a groove in and hole in the saddle.

Excellent example of why a women only forum would be good…….

First registration will no doubt be (Miss) simonefbarnes closely followed by markitahoracek

allthegear
    Free Member

I was chatting with the ex-editor of she-cycles last week. She has a new website, at http://www.bikeenvy.co.uk/ that is starting to get going now…

Rachel

Anna-B
    Free Member

I don't have any WSD bikes either. Have just bought a Hardrock, and my FS is also a Spesh. The hardtail is a 17" though – I didn't even try a 19". My fs is an M. I'm 5'9". Have never had the top of leg pinching you describe. How tall is your girlfriend? I've found that shorter stems make the world of difference too. You could maybe ask in the shop where you bought the bike?

Karinofnine

Pinching? Is she um, a not-thin person? Maybe she could try to pull her shorts right up so the folds of the shorts follow the folds of her thighs etc, so any movement is short/short rather than skin/skin.

Vaseline is good. Lots and lots of vaseline…

If she wants to speak privately, email in profile.

Trekster

Not convinced about the saddles with central cut-aways, as a bloke I tried and binned one for the same pinching reasons as mrsholly 😳
    mrsT has a Myka for gentle trail riding, she has arthritis, and is OK with the standard seat atm.

mrsholly sounds like she is a tall lady or is the bike just too big?

shorter stem, straight seat post and saddle further forward, tried that yet? Assume shorts have good padding, in the right area and it is not these that are causing the irritation?

pennine
    Free Member

I've been on the odd SheCycles ride. Quite entertaining listening to the girlie talk 😀

Here's a few, rest are out of view.

bravohotel9er
    Free Member

Menstrual Cycles.

Rubber_Buccaneer

I didn't even realise we were supposed to have single sex sites! Do I need to find a boys only site? Is this a boys site? As a new member/lurker I have noticed the women here appear to be of the badger stuffing and/or dodgy tattoo type, I guess the nice girls are elsewhere 😉

Tracey

Im happy chatting to anyone on here, male or female. 3 females in the family and each have different prefs on saddles. Had to swap bikes for most of a day in Verbier due to Abigales rear brake busting. Lucky for us Kevin had the sense to swap the seats and seat posts over befor he disappeared down the mountain with a pink bike or two out of us 3 would have been sore.
    If you want a chat email in profile

Tracey

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

The old Shecycles site used to be brilliant, the newer one not so so I don't use it anymore. Will be interested in that new one though. I'm happy to be e-mailed with questions and suggestions. E-mail in profile. I have a selle Italia which has a cut out in the middle and I love it! Expensive at £60 but it's worth investing in a good saddle. A lot of them do say 14 day trial period or your money back, worth looking into.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

PS Just looked at that bike envy site what a great website! Loving it already!!

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I didn't even realise we were supposed to have single sex sites!

I used to be strongly against the idea until a female rider explained to me that, in a mixed group, men tend to take over, mending punctures, adjusting stuff, leading, reading the maps etc so the girls tend not to learn independence. The men probably feel they're being chivalrous and helpful, and they aren't intentionally taking over, but that's the result, so sometimes women prefer to ride single sex so they can be in charge…

foxyrider
    Free Member

Sorry Boxelder – shame on me – could resist the last post 🙁 [hangs head in shame]

Hairychested
    Free Member

foxyrider – Member

Sorry Boxelder – shame on me – could resist the last post [hangs head in shame]

Don't be too hard on yourself, it happens here at times.

Bunnyhop

Saddles are always going to be a personal taste issue, as no 2 women are ever the same.
    I have mine pointed a little downward which really helps. Also riding as much as possible. Anyone who takes time off the bike will have to 'cough' harden up again.

SimonFBarnes – you are so right about us women having everything done for us on mixed group rides.
    Yesterday I had brake problems which nbt sorted out within minutes, this little trailside job would have taken me ages. so the chaps jump in and everything get's done a lot quicker. I can change an innertube 'cos I ride a lot on my own. I think you'll find though a lot of female riders aren't mechanically minded (me being one of them) and I can never remember what goes where. Bad I know.

jojoA1
    Free Member

How do all these fragile women who daren't post on a unisex website cope out there in the real world? Surely we're all people first (with our respective flaws and positives) and men and women second? I really don't get it. There are blokes who are bike noobs, slow riders, technically inept just as there are blokes who like cake, pink kit (Juan!), and don't like getting sweaty/muddy.

domino

We (mrdomino) and I don't get lost when I read the map. Sorry but I just don't believe that women don't learn independance by blokes taking over. In fact it makes me want to learn more, I don't want to rely on anyone else when I have a mechanical I want to fix stuff myself!

Am sure more embarassing questions have been asked on here than saddle sores, I seem to recall a riding with periods question before. The worst thing about this website is that whenever someone wants a female perspective or first hand experience on something, its usually answered by blokes, and the same blokes at that!

ebygomm
    Free Member

How do all these fragile women who daren't post on a unisex website cope out there in the real world

It's not they daren't post on a unisex website, it's that they don't necessarily feel comfortable on posting on singletrackworld. I'm pretty glad that the real world isn't mirrored by this site 😀

Nothing I read on here bothers me, but I can see how it could bother other people. I post on a lot of other sites, and this is by far the one most likely to make women feel uncomfortable.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

I agree with SimonFbarnes. I've been riding (and racing) for 16 years however my mechanical ability is shocking! I think if I really had to I could sort out a snapped chain take a rear mech off and single speed my bike and change an inner tube, however each of these tasks would take me maybe 3 hours! When I started riding at 13 I had older boys who would do it as I didn't have a clue and it's always been like that now. mr MC is a bike wizard, my bike goes in the garage busted and out fixed. a female friend has recently bought a new frame and the plan is to build the bike entirely herslef with guidance from husband. Think that's a great idea. That's why it's nice to have girl sites, along with discussions about kit etc. Notice on here a few people are quick to TTP and some woman aren't as strong minded to say "**** off".

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘girls mtb site’ is closed to new replies.