Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Girls Bike advice
  • cjr61

Hi guys and girls,

My 4year old girl is growing out of her 12″ bike and i’m looking to get her a bigger one. She is just over 1 metre tall and shooting up fast. She still needs stabilisers but wondering whether a 16″ would be too big now or whether it would be OK or whether she needs a 14″ for a year then upto 16″?

Plus it needs to be pink!

Thanks

Chris

chakaping
    Free Member

Plus it needs to be pink!

My daughter said that, but I got her a blue Islabike and put pink streamers on the handlebars.

Problem solved.

joemarshall
    Free Member

Islabikes do pink now, and it is quite a nice colour too.

They have a size chart so you can check size, but if she’s growing out of a 12″, surely she’d fit on a 16″?

People seem to go 14″ to 20″ and skip 16, so it doesn’t necessarily mean an extra bike.

Could you take the pedals and stabilisers off the 12″ bike and make it into a balance bike when you get the new bike and then not bother with stabilisers, know a few kids, mine included who went straight from balance bike to pedal bike and skipped the stabilisers, I wasn’t sure I believed the whole balance bike to pedal bike thing would work before I saw it happen, but it was <30 minutes from getting the pedal bike to going 100m without being held.

aracer
    Free Member

My 4yo boy is just over 1m (as in he can just about get on rides with that height limit) and riding a 14″ Isla – the saddle isn’t very much above the lower limit on that, no way would he fit on a 16″

He doesn’t care what colour his bike is.

Mike-E

16″ worked for our daughter at that age – she is now 8 and on 24″ – she progressed from 12″ – 16″ – 24″.

puppypower
    Free Member

My son is 1m tall, and I was wondering about when to get him on a 16″, he’s on a 14″ isla at the moment, it’s quite a way above the minimum, and looks quite small. Maybe he has long legs for his height or something. Not actually tried him on a 16″ though.

According to islabikes website, smallest advised height for a 16″ is 104cm.

Maybe go to a bike shop and try her on a few.

cyclistm
    Free Member

I got a Ridgeback Honey for my 4 year old and really pleased with it. Hargroves have some on offer at the moment.

She is slow growing so I went with 14″, it took her a while to get on top of the gear compared to her old bike but is now very quick on it.

cjr61

Thanks for all of the replies. I’ve tried balance bike with her before and she struggled so went for the stabilisers route. Think 16 might be the way forward. Thanks

Chris

gonzy
    Free Member

bought my son a 16″ for his 5th birthday last year…still fits him even though he’s shot up in the last 10 months…i’d expect him to still get at least 2 more years out of it….by which time he should hopefully be ready for 20″…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Girls Bike advice’ is closed to new replies.