Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • girl/road rash/medical advice
  • bobbyatwork
    Free Member

missus was racing in holland this weekend and ended up on the deck…shes got very sore looking road rash all down her left side…any tips for better comfort/healing?

shes mad for getting back on the bike today but ive said no

alfabus
    Free Member

hydrocolloid dressings

they will keep the wounds moist as they heal and can reduce scarring quite a lot – you put the dressing on and leave the same one on until its all healed, so can reduce the faff and pain of redressing too.

Dave

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

The first priority is to keep it clean, unfortunately this involves a fair bit of scrubbing and is pretty uncomfortable/painful. After that keep the area dressed with a semipermeable dressing to keep it clean and moist. Change it every couple of days.

According to my friend the wound care nurse the main thing is to keep the area clean and moist. Creams and what not might help but clean and moist will see her right.

If she feels like riding then she should probably go ride, the exercise could help to stop her stiffening up.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Why shouldn’t she ride?

Or actually make her own decisions?

bobbyatwork
    Free Member

i thought she shouldnt ride as shes pretty shaken up but then if it keeps her loose then should be ok….she dont listen to me anyhow! 🙄

SiB
    Free Member

photo?

warton
    Free Member

your girlfriend is loose? are you OK with this?

whatnobeer
    Free Member

hydrocolloid dressings

These, they make a massive difference and once its one you can pretty much forget about them. If there’s a lot of road rash then a trip down to minor injuries where they can dress them properly might be an idea?

MrSmith
    Free Member

why is the fact that she’s female going to have a bearing on the roadrash?

crikey
    Free Member

A word of caution when using hydrocolloid dressings;

They can cause over-granulation, which is essentially when the tissue that grows back doesn’t get the signal to stop growing, and you can end up with a lumpy non-healing bit of your wound.

Use them for a while, but don’t keep the dressings in place for ages; let some normal healing and skin remodelling take place too, especially on someone who may want a cosmetically acceptable result.

hels
    Free Member

I would advise, from experience, that she gets back on the bike for some gentle cycling ASAP. Road rash won’t kill you, and she wil likely have all bruises etc, but if you keep still will all stiffen up and muscular stuff will be much worse.

transapp
    Free Member

Is it road rash as in full of shite, or just the grazes left?

butcher

i thought she shouldnt ride as shes pretty shaken up…

Exactly why she should ride. You don’t want her sat at home dwelling on it. Mentally, she will recover a lot quicker on the bike.

bobbyatwork
    Free Member

good tips ta all…..got the hydracolloids when she started racing…they aint cheap but seem pretty good…she went out ont bike this avo..

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘girl/road rash/medical advice’ is closed to new replies.