Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Girlie bike clothing question
  • cinnamon_girl

Do any of you ladies know whether unpadded 3/4 length lycra shorts exist?

Thank you so much!

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

fashion disaster waiting to happen 🙁

unless your arse is totally kickin :o)

Bunnyhop

There’s a thought.
    Mine are padded, infact too paddy.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    cinnamon_girl

sfb – I am definitely not a fashionista 🙂

Bunnyhop – my undergarments have changed – minimalist all the way for me these days 😀

cinnamon_girl

sfb – and you’re not likely to find out either 😉

igm

My wife has Aldi running gear that would fit the description – couple of weeks ago so they’ve probably run out but check out the running shops.

theflatboy
    Free Member

i imagine you’d be more likely to get some from nike or similar, rather than bike-specific ones.

be warned though, i saw a girl cycling to work the other day in similar non-bike lycra tights, and unbeknownst to her they were completely see through to her flowery underwear due to the stretching when sat on the bike. 😆

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

sfb – and you’re not likely to find out either

so you’ve abandoned all hope of visiting sunny Cumbria ? 🙁

and unbeknownst to her they were completely see through to her flowery underwear

not necessarily…

theflatboy
    Free Member

good point 😆

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

actually, I think women are in a kind of denial about this. I’ve had occasion to say “Nice boobies/thighs” recently to a couple of friends, and they have claimed not to have been aware they were showing anything 🙂

crikey
    Free Member

Get thee to Decathlon or any other cheapo shop,or look on wiggle or crc and buy some bib tights. Then simply cut the lower leg bit out to the length that you require.

That’s how three quarter length bike tights were ‘invented’; think it was Edwig Van Hooydonck, a Belgian with the coolest name in cycling who did it, although it could be Jesper Skibby….

theflatboy
    Free Member

van hooydonck, apparently:

Three quarters are a recent invention, first popularised in 1990 by Belgian hard-man Edwig Van Hooydonk. Van Hooydonk had won the Tour of Flanders in 1989 in horrendous conditions. When this aggravated a recurring knee problem he conceived the idea of shorts that stretched below the knee (an elegant alternative to the wrapped bandages often used at the time). The new look (in smart WordPerfect dark blue) was debuted in 1990 and gained international exposure when Van Hooydonk returned to Flanders to win again in 1991.

ebygomm
    Free Member

I’ve got some of these, which are great, I wear them for commuting

Salomon Ladies Trail II 3/4 Tight

Decathlon do some similar ones too.

crikey
    Free Member

Or use normal lycra shorts and knee warmers; you can get ‘short knee warmers’ or long ones depending on the brand; Alexa used to make short ones, but the latest Adidas ones are immensely long..

cinnamon_girl

My goodness, can’t believe all these replies! And some from the chaps too!

sfb

so you’ve abandoned all hope of visiting sunny Cumbria ?

May just pop up to escape the rain darn sarf 😉

OK, think I need something that is a bit warmer than running tights, also more durable. I have some bib tights and the less said about them the better. Perhaps they’re fine for popping down to the shops but not all day, and definitely not in winter!!

flatboy – rest assured I will be wearing something underneath, just not a lot 😀

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

crikey
    Free Member

My feeling is that a good pair of lycra shorts with an insert that gets on with your lady bits should be the basis of your wardrobe.

Then you can add a pair of baggies, sans insert, or a pair of lycra tights, or a pair of 3/4 tights or use knee warmers.

I use baggies to stop trashing my lycra shorts/longs/3/4s..

coffeeking
    Free Member

sfb – and you’re not likely to find out either [:wink:]

I can’t imagine unpadded lycra shorts with minimalist underwear leaving any choice in the matter, all will see quite happily! Hell, it’s only going to be a colour difference!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Girlie bike clothing question’ is closed to new replies.