Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Ginger parkin
  • dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Is it the best cake in the world? It’s good cold as a cake yet you can eat it still warm. You can even reheat it and serve with custard like pudding or cream like cake. Is there anything it can’t do?

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

Is there anything it can’t do?

The Rubik’s cube?

midlifecrashes

Had some this afternoon. Homemade, Atkinsons, Cooplands or Crusty Cob Shop? Crusty Cob Shop for me.

hodgynd
    Free Member

A better alternative ..a bought McVities Jamaica Ginger Cake moist as a moist thing ..eat it hot,cold with custard , cream or ice cream or both ( all ) ..oh yeah !

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

I like the mcvities but there’s something almost devine about the chewy oatyness of good parkin. Also it’s less prone to being inedible when removed from your bag as a mid ride snack.

The Rubik’s cube?

I’m pretty sure it’s as likely as me to solve one.

On this particular occasion midlife, it was of the “made by a little old lady in the village” variety, which ime tends to be the best variety of any sweet treat but I find even poor parkin tends to be pretty reasonable so I’ll happily even indulge in supermarket stuff.

hodgynd
    Free Member

Ahh well ..
    You didn’t mention the “little old lady in the the village ” part of the equation in your original description ..even better if she was a WI member .. 😀

slowoldman

By coincidence I have been promised some will be made this afternoon.

slowoldman

…and it has been. Joy.

IHN

Parkin is the absolute shizzle

pondo

I thought this thread was going to be about former children’s BBC presenter and broom cupboard resident ginger Simon Parkin, whom I once saw at the Boat Show (true story). Is disappoint. 🙁

downhillfast
    Free Member

Parkin 😀 nom nom nom… :mrgreen:

Anyone else tried Kirriemuir gingerbread cake? Also highly nomworthy 😛

jamj1974

Parkin is lush…

mahalo

Any top recipes??

Houns

Bothams

That is all

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

^^^ I assume booths will do a decent one, may have to swing by and check. Otherwise I’ll just rely on my current cakes for favours scheme.

mahalo – Member
    Any top recipes??

My attempts have always been sub par, just one of those things i can’t cook. That said everyone i know who can do a decent job of it is old (and coincidentally also does good crispy dumplings which i can’t get right either), so i think being old is an important part of the recipe.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

…which reminds me, I must remember to ask my mum for her parkin recipe.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Just ask for more parkin?

jamj1974

Should anyone need assistance – I am perfectly happy to dispose of unwanted parkin. I’ll only charge costs, not an hourly rate.

hodgynd
    Free Member

Got me a Jamaica Ginger Cake today + custard + Mackies Dairy Ice Cream ..which I will eat with both but maybe not at the same time ( possibly ) ..couldnt find any Parkin ..and possibly haven’t as yet tried it ever ..

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

and possibly haven’t as yet tried it ever ..

Are you a lancastrian? They even have it in Morrison’s (bakery produce not page packaged cakes) you know, there is no excuse.

I’ll only charge costs, not an hourly rate.

Pp gift to your rich Nigerian uncle ok?

hodgynd
    Free Member

A Northumbrian..maybe it’s just been off my radar ..I will hunt one down though 😀

jamj1974

Pp gift to your rich Nigerian uncle ok?

Was thinking more of a Western Union transfer.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Ginger parkin’ is closed to new replies.