• This topic has 47 replies, 40 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by mt.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • Gin is gin, right?
  • DrJ

Just something alcoholic to spice up a glass of tonic?

My sister just gave me a bottle of Crossbill and I may have to change my ideas – really different flavour, almost vegetable taste. What others am I missing?

cchris2lou

Mahon gin from Menorca .

Speshpaul

“Gin is just gin”

shot him, it’s too late for him now.

Blue Sapphire for starters.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jimdubleyou

Sipsmith is what all the cool kids were drinking in the summer.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Plenty of boutique gins out there but in a world of spirits distilled by marketeers, I don’t really trust any of them (I’m sure some of them are actually really good but y’know…).

For something a bit different but not breaking the bank, I’ve always rated Juniper Green.

proutster
    Free Member

No. 209 – distilled in San Francisco.

Tried it at a gin-tasting earlier this year and of the 10 or so that I tried, it was the best. Beautifully citrus and floral, so much so that I could sip it neat.

Finally managed to track a bottle down on Wednesday

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Here we go agin (see what I did there)

[url=https://flic.kr/p/noDyMV]TheBotanist22[/url] by jimmyg352, on Flickr

Drac

As well as last year’s Gun thread there’s this one.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/boutique-gift-gin

steviegil
    Free Member

Bought a bottle of Harris gin last week when on the island – tasted pretty good..

somafunk

Tanqueray #10 is quite decent enough for me or their Ranqpur indian is something different, Hendricks gin is also worth a mention

doordonot
    Free Member

Gin is gin; it’s the tonic that can make the difference. Fever Tree is the next best alternative off the shelves and brings out more complex notes in the gin.

Chase Gin is made with English Apples and is a refreshing alternative to the more floral gins on in the gin world.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

As above, Fever Tree is ace. As is Bramley and Gage 6 O’Clock.

Gin? Well, everyone has a favourite, I suppose. Bombay Sapphire is good, and keeping things nice and local! Otherwise, I like either Gordon’s Export or Tarquin’s (Dreadful name, but do also try their pastis!)

scotroutes

It’s usually a bit more expensive along in Currie or Balerno right enough,

julians
    Free Member

I quite like the following gins:-

– Martin miller
    -Monkey 47
    -Gvine – this one’s a bit flowery so may not be to everyone’s taste
    -Deaths door -best drunk neat without a mixer

clubby

You could try Peddler’s Potion, but then again it was a limited run of one bottle.
    Made it myself at the Edinburgh Gin distillery last week, came in at 50%!
    On topic though, we got to try their entire range and I can recommend their Navy strength Cannonball. It’s like anything though, until you try them back to back, it’s difficult to tell. Find somewhere doing a gin tasting night and experiment.

Drac

If we’re talking tonic too then forget Fever Tree it’s good but this beats it.

sssi
    Free Member

For all the Surrey Hill’s riders – try this one….

Silent pool Gin

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

+

One whole lime chopped and squeezed, shitloads of ice and a couple of glacé cherries. Delicious & fragrant.

bikebouy
    Free Member

We drink Hendricks, Bombay Saphire and have tried pretty much everything Waitrose tends to stock, but have just settled on this … Whilst it may not be crammed full of the petals of the lesser fragrant Diana Rose, soaked in tears of children and aged in buckets from the Mary Rose it is by far reasonably local to London, made by a company who pride themselves on exceptional beer.. For that alone this gets bought more often by us than any other Gin.

Lime, lots of ice and Fever Tree light (or Mediterranean) tonic..

Ahhh shite, images won’t load..

Adams Copper House Gin.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

a couple of glacé cherries

Oooooh! ‘ark at ‘im with ‘is fancy ways!

😆

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Just tried Lark summer gin, doubt it’s available up there but a truly special drop and good without tonic.

onewheelgood

I was on a train last week and I met a bunch of quite drunk people who had been here https://www.theginstitute.com/the-experience/. They said it was an enjoyable way to spend a day.

wrecker
    Free Member

Wifey seems keen on this (apparently it’s not too expensive and quite nice)
    http://www.lidl.co.uk/en/10980.htm?action=showDetail&id=28740
    There are about 4 bottles in the cupboard.

scaredypants

deadlydarcy – Member

cut out the frippery 🙄

soobalias
    Free Member

gin should be drunk straight.

tonic is only to keep the mozzies off.

Northwind

soobalias – Member

gin should be drunk straight.

If you’re a 19th century prostitute, perhaps

mikewsmith
    Free Member

tonic is only to keep the mozzies off.

Put tonic in my Gin Martini and I’d going to get mad

BillMC

Adnams Copper House with Fevertree tonic, a match made in heaven.

woody21
    Free Member

Ophir or Sir Robyn of Locksley

mefty
    Free Member

DD – You do a disservice to the old country, my father, who regarded gin drinking as more than a hobby, maintained Cork Dry Gin was the finest gin in the world.

Neat/watered/pink gin drinkers were pretty common in the services, the tonic was relatively expensive compared to the duty free booze.

hb70

We made our own last week. First try out and it was ludicrously tasty as well as really easy to do.

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2014/dec/29/make-your-own-gin-tonic-homemade-gandt

edhornby

for a reasonably priced one, the aldi london dry gin is really good because it is distilled properly with the botannicals rather than just blended at the end with concentrate like the cheaper ones usually are

nbt

I was watching something on the telly recently about boutique gin breweries in That London’s (in) famous East London and was surprised to learn that Gin is in fact flavoured vodka.

Start with a vodka base, add juniper to make Gin. Juniper berries are the only legal requirement in terms of flavouring, after that you can add other things to alter the taste

atlaz
    Free Member

Every day: Tanqueray
    A G&T that screams GIN, ****: Botanist (as above)
    Hot day over ice: Brockmans
    General good gin: 47 Monkey, Mansfield (Luxembourg distiller)
    Gin for people who “don’t really like gin”: Hendricks obviously

lunge

Monkey 47 is my go to “posh” gin, very nice indeed. Bombay or Tanqueray are perfectly good too and Aldi is an absolute bargain for very drinkable “session gin”.

Coyote
    Free Member

I like either Gordon’s Export or Tarquin’s (Dreadful name, but do also try their pastis!)

How do their pastis rate against Greggs?

Unless you drink your gin neat what’s the point?

Doesn’t the other stuff you mix with it mask all the subtle “botanicals”?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I was watching something on the telly recently about boutique gin breweries in That London’s (in) famous East London and was surprised to learn that Gin is in fact flavoured vodka.

It gets better, Vodka is in fact just alcohol + mineral water. If it tastes crap it’s because it’s its got crap in it (because it’s cheap and they mixed the heavy ends back in and diluted with tap water).

And whiskey/whisky/bourbon is just specific vodka’s, distilled badly and kept in poorly sealed wooden barrels.

Not saying the results aren’t spectacular (sometimes), but just like homebrewing beer clones, you can fake your favorite whisky at home too.

ransos
    Free Member

Unless you drink your gin neat what’s the point?

Doesn’t the other stuff you mix with it mask all the subtle “botanicals”?

True. But I do find the cheaper gins to be an excellent base for homemade liquers – sloes and apple/ blackberry both work very well. I’ve used vodka as a base for crème de cassis – results to be announced in 6 months.

AlexSimon

For people in The Peak:

I wonder why they didn’t call it Macc Forest Gin? 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Gin is gin, right?’ is closed to new replies.