Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Gin and everything
  • Spin
    Free Member

It’s bloody everywhere and in everything right now from cosmetics to cakes.

I like a GnT as much as the next man but can’t even detect it in all these bandwagon jumping products.

They’ll be serving it in tiny galvanised buckets next.

mt
    Free Member

Hmm I’ll try that

chewkw
    Free Member

Ya, I have noticed that too as they are everywhere nowadays. I just stick to some of the normal ones like Waitrose own brand or Beefeater or Bombay Sapphire … 😛

Drac

It’s been like that for years, it’s the pulled pork of spirits.

chewkw
    Free Member

Drac – Moderator
    It’s been like that for years, it’s the pulled pork of spirits.

Pulled pork of spirits <= 😆

Good one that. :mrgreen:

petrieboy

I’m sure I read on here that it’s people setting up as micro distilleries producing whisky which won’t be ready for years – they pump out fancy gin in the mean time because it generates a return now rather than in 12+ years

chewkw
    Free Member

petrieboy – Member

I’m sure I read on here that it’s people setting up as micro distilleries producing whisky which won’t be ready for years – they pump out fancy gin in the mean time because it generates a return now rather than in 12+ years

I recently bought two bottles of whisky – Famous Grouse and Whyte & Mackay both good … the latter is sweeter. I know they are cheap but they are good. 😛

Spin
    Free Member

generates a return now

Go for it I say. I’ve got no problem with people drinking the stuff or using it to finance whisky production (mmm whisky) but gin bath salts? Really?

chewkw
    Free Member

gin bath salts

That really is taking the mickey … 😯 😆

CountZero

What you need is a quality British tonic water to go with it, none of that rubbish fizzy Schweppes stuff!
    http://www.fever-tree.com

chewkw
    Free Member

CountZero – Member
    What you need is a quality British tonic water to go with it, none of that rubbish fizzy Schweppes stuff!
    http://www.fever-tree.com

Bet those are artisan water … 😀

wilburt
    Free Member

I like the little tins, less faff.
    Chuck some elderflower cordial in if you want to be trendy.

akira

You know fever tree do an elder flower tonic?

Kit
    Free Member

Interesting that Fever Tree should be mentioned. They’re the real winners in this at the moment. They’re the mixer du jour, and while there’s about 10 gazillion gins, Fever Tree mixers are the only ‘mainstream’ alternative to Schwepps etc. I expect they’re doing very, very well at the moment.

Rich_s

Interesting that Fever Tree should be mentioned. They’re the real winners in this at the moment. They’re the mixer du jour, and while there’s about 10 gazillion gins, Fever Tree mixers are the only ‘mainstream’ alternative to Schwepps etc. I expect they’re doing very, very well at the moment.

You could say that!

http://www.fever-tree.com/corporate/investors/detailed-share-price

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

it’s the pulled pork of spirits.

Couldn’t have put it better!

Pulled pork, WTF?

Yep, artisan (overpriced/rip off) but people buy it anyway.

footflaps

You could say that!

Impressive growth!

Stoner
    Free Member

cant stand fever tree. too much flavour. If your drinking poncy gin, at least try and taste it. Simple dry schweppes with not too much mouth vajazzling going on.

Sandwich

There’s nowt wrong with a mouthful of vajazzle every once in a while. 8)

ratherbeintobago

Gin is ace. We’ve not long finished a bottle of Martin Miller’s which was good.

Not much wrong with e.g. Larios though.

Drac

Fever Tree is the poor man’s Fentimans

mikewsmith
    Free Member

It’s a fantastic time for anyone who wants more than “exactly the same thing as I’ve had all my life”
    Most of the local whysky distillers here are making Gin, why as above it pays the bills and keeps them in business until the whysky is ready to sell. Each one is unique and distinct and so far removed from a gordons it’s amazing.

Of course the usual everything new is fashion/fad/hipster brigade will be upset, it’s what they do 🙂

footflaps

Fever Tree is the poor man’s Fentimans

screw how it tastes, how is their share price doing? 😉

scotroutes

I don’t normally drink gin but I’ve enjoyed tasting some of the new stuff. I can’t understand this penchant for smothering it with tonic water though. If you really want to savour the variations they’re better neat or only slightly diluted.

nickjb
    Free Member

I can’t understand this penchant for smothering it with tonic water though. If you really want to savour the variations they’re better neat or only slightly diluted.

If you do care about your gin then this is just the tonic (see what I did there?). Created by a gin master distiller in association with a few other distilleries. Nice light flavour so it doesn’t drown out good gin: https://bramleyandgage.com/product/distillers-tonic-original-slab-of-24-1/

I don’t get the hate for pulled pork. Yes it has become a bit everywhere but its bloody delicious (if done well) so why not?

thomthumb
    Free Member

Chuck some elderflower cordial in if you want to be trendy.

ok for supermarket gin but not for an artisan brand. you need to match anything in it to the botanicals.

current favourite if twisted nose gin, made with ‘ampshire watercress.

MrSmith
    Free Member

currently drinking Jensens London dry with blood orange (distilled in Bermondsey) not usually a fan of adulterated spirits but its very refreshing with a splash of fever-tree hipster tonic. 😉

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Gin and everything’ is closed to new replies.