• This topic has 70 replies, 57 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 31 posts - 41 through 71 (of 71 total)
  • Gin
  • umop3pisdn
    Free Member

Gordon’s is ok… if you get the orginal recipe export strength edition…

rendo
    Free Member

we’re fans of Aldi, but also Millers and Blackwood and Plymouth.

However, i’ve never really thought much about the tonic, price difference between schweppes and own brands is a lot. I am starting to find G+T too sweet, so i might give some of these other tonics listed above a try.

jeffm
    Free Member

Currently in the house is
    Tanqeray 10
    Hendricks
    St. George terroir (from California, ’tis great)
    Sipsmith

Would happily have any.

FeeFoo
    Free Member

I have a G & T almost every night.
    It seems I’m missing out – just Gordon’s and Schweppes.

Will Hendricks and Schweppes taste better or do I have to have a different tonic too?

Edit – I like the taste of straight Gordon’s too – am I a filthy slut?

ahsat

In an ideal world Sipsmiths + Fever Tree for me.

However the budget conscious Gordons and supermarket tonic is fine.

If your in the SW the Plymouth gin bar is worth a look.

mls678
    Free Member

Give Gin Mare a try chaps. With sprig of rosemary

JulianA
    Free Member

Had a great trip around the Bombay Sapphire distillery the other day. It’s near Whitchurch – just off the A34 in Hampshire. Really, really well set up – everyone gets a cocktail with their visit, drivers get an alcohol free cocktail and a miniature Bombay Sapphire and some Fever Tree tonic to take away.

Fantastic Thomas Heatherwick ‘greenhouses’, a couple of beautiful old copper condensers, fantastic old buildings which used to house Portals’ paper mill and excellent staff: a great afternoon out. We’ll be going back soon!

davidrussell
    Free Member

chilli & lime gin.

:O i missed that one, lucky escape by the sounds of it.

you must now open it and provide a report!

off to pop a tanqueray ten and fever tree…

Kryton57

How is Bombay London Gin? 1l for £15 at Sainsburys at the moe,nt or is there a reason for that?

sic_nick

Chase Seville orange gin is nice and their smoked vodka makes an excellent bloody Mary!

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

They sell one in Newtons supermarket in Candolim, Goa that was 90 rupees 2 years ago (about £1.00 at today exchange rate) & you know what? It was/seemed no different to Morrisons cheap shite stuff. & the only tonic you can get over there is Schweppes.
    Plenty ice & ok after a Goan curry.
    Wer’e going back in January. 🙂

Andy_B

Butlers or Jensens are my favourites.

For London based people head down to 214 in Bermondsey and try a gin flight with their own tonic water. Merchant House kind of between Bank and Smithfield know their stuff too.

Next best choice would be the Gin Mare from Brindisa.

mefty
    Free Member

How is Bombay London Gin?

marketing, the drinks business has huge marketing budgets and have great success upscaling people to so called premium brands.

eat_more_cheese
    Free Member

Another vote for Botanist here, one of very few I actually enjoy neat with ice. Don’t know if it’s been mentioned, but Boe gin is a new favourite in our house.

johnj2000
    Free Member

Sipsmiths, Tanq no 10 and Aldi London in that order. Love the stronger botanical flavour of the T 10 but it’s not as drinkable as Sipsmiths if you want more than one.

SixFootTwo
    Free Member

whoah missed this thread before.

Hendricks, Bombay Dry, Tanqueray, Fifty Pounds, Sapphire,Martin Miller most of the time, Citadelle and Monkey 47 when I fancy something a little different. I’m leaning back towards more “juniper first” gins and the Bombay dry and Hendricks tend to be what I reach for mid week most of the time, Sipsmith VSOJ my newest bottle. Good mixers make a difference but nothing too fancy as I like to taste the gin.Monkey 47 is nice neat to sip too

cchris2lou

Mahon Gin from Menorca .

very fruity .

Kryton57

I’m just er, sampling the Bombay London Dry now, last bottle left at £17 at our Sainsburys. I like it.

giantonagiant

A couple of lads I was at college with now make this stuff:

http://www.warneredwards.com/index.php?route=common/home

People seem to like it, I’ve not tried it yet.

Any of the STW massive tried it? Thoughts?

garage-dweller

A school friend of mine did part of his growing up in Malawi.

For a long time his folks had access supply of Malawi gin. Now that was something special.

Last bottle I bought was bombay sapphire. Never have it in the house these days as it takes me five years to get through a bottle.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Surprised at how common my choices are

Hendricks and recently Aldi. The latter’s bubbly is good too – much better than most overused prosecco

eyerideit
    Free Member

Sipsmith Sloe gin with bitter lemon is rather nice.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

I find this combination is really rather splendid

godzilla
    Free Member

Hendricks

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

Mahon Gin from Menorca .

Oooh, I’d forgotten about this. Tried some last year and loved it, must pick up a bottle…

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

eyerideit – Member
    Sipsmith Sloe gin with bitter lemon is rather nice.

Thank god, I was beginning to think it was just me. Not sure about with sloe gin tho.

Pigface
    Free Member

am I a filthy slut?

need more information 😆

An ex of mine and her friends used to have Gin night about once a month, it all started out quite innocently but the last one caused some drama 🙄 some women get really mean on Gin

SixFootTwo
    Free Member

Williams Chase Gin (made from apples) and Haymans Reserve 1850 both worth a snort.

simon_g

Still working my way through birthday bottles of Bathtub:

and Whitley Neill:

Both very nice in completely different ways.

Oh, and not forgetting the eight gin cocktails I’ll be having at Ginstock with a couple of mates on Saturday.

Drac

I’ve been eyeing the up today when I was in Fenwick’s was torn between a few but this one caught my eye so I’ll be getting one of these is coming weeks. Another local one.

Viewing 31 posts - 41 through 71 (of 71 total)

The topic ‘Gin’ is closed to new replies.