• This topic has 70 replies, 57 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)
  • Gin
  • umop3pisdn
    Free Member

What gin is everyone drinking at the moment? Mothers ruin, yadda yadda, etc…

Waitrose had some money off Fentimans Tonic when I was in this afternoon, so it would be rude not to give it a try. Paired with:

and

(though in two separate glasses, 1:2 gin:tonic)

Mmmm. Gin.

breninbeener

Im a huge fan of Bombay Sapphire

mikewsmith
    Free Member

paulosoxo
    Free Member

I must be relly boring, as it’s either Gordon’s or Bombay Saphire for me. The posh gins dont really do it for me.

toys19
    Free Member

Yup Gin is Gin, happy with cheap aldi stuff. Anything you mix might as well be the cheap stuff. I will happily spend loads on decent whisky, to drink neat, or nice beers, but anything that is mixed, cocktailed or shandied can be cheap.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Hendricks all the time. Have others, nothing comes close.

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

Tanqueray loyalist here.

never tried a posh tonic tho, just schweppes. but fresh limes amd plenty of ice are important.

nickjb
    Free Member

Got to be 6 oclock Has a matching tonic so you don’t ruin good gin with cheap tonic. Nothing like cheap gin. If you just mix cheap gin with generic tonic you are missing a treat.

rewski
    Free Member

Prefer mine with sloes

sharkbait
    Free Member

Hendricks

corroded
    Free Member

Aldi’s own gin has beaten the big brands in blind tastings. At £10 I used it for sloe gin this year. Otherwise, Hendricks or Bombay Sapphire for me.

lemonysam
    Free Member

We have Caorunn, Hendricks, Martin Millers, Bombay Sapphire and a bottle of Gordons in the back of the cupboard for emergencies. It doesn’t do not to have a choice.

Spin
    Free Member

I once made a Gnt with flat tonic. Absolutely disgusting. Who’d have thunk it was those little bubbles that made the difference?

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

This…
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/noDyMV]TheBotanist22[/url] by jimmyg352, on Flickr

Made here…
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/fsw2kw]Islay 2011 003[/url] by jimmyg352, on Flickr

In this still…

[url=https://flic.kr/p/dx5qnA]015[/url] by jimmyg352, on Flickr

Absolutely lovely just with ice.

gatsby
    Free Member

Nice to see a discussion about gin, most blokes consider it similar to discussing your favourite musicals!

I’m definitely of the opinion that the tonic makes as much difference as the gin, but assuming we’re all using a quality tonic, I’d agree with the poster above who mentioned the Aldi “Oliver Cromwell” London Gin. At £10 a bottle it’s excellent. I first discovered it when making Sloe Gin a few years ago. It’s pretty much perfect – full flavour, lots of subtle, complex sub flavours with no bitter aftertaste. It’s become my standard “house gin”!
    When out and about, I’ll usually go for a Hendricks, Tanqueray 10 (standard Tanq is just too bland for my taste) or Bombay Sapphire.

G

GrahamS

Tanqueray or Hendricks here.

But no cucumber because it’s a vegetable comprised of pure evil.

fionap

Whatever looks interesting and is on offer. Unfortunately at the moment I’m stuck with a bottle of Gordons but the last one was Brecon Gin from the Penderyn distillery – that was good. I’ve found Fever Tree tonic makes a much nicer drink than Schweppes.

theteaboy
    Free Member

On Aldi at the moment but Tanqueray is my usual. Hendricks as a treat.

A tip I learned from someone who owns a fancy restaurant is to freeze slices of lime (or cucumber) before dropping them in – 1: it means you’ve always got a ready supply in, 2: it helps the ice out and 3: freezing ruptures the cells so more flavour gets out (may well be dodgy science. I haven’t looked into it)

DirtyLyle
    Free Member

All gins are definitely not alike. So many good ones in the country now from startups. I really like Blackdown which is made in Sussex, and is lovely by itself. Anno made in Kent is fantastic as well. Tonic should be Fever Tree.
    Always have room for a Plymouth gin. The Tanqueray Ten is very good too.
    As a Scot, really think the English should do more with their national spirit.

Lifer
    Free Member

What other Gin based drinks are there? Not a fan of fizzyness so tonic is out.

footflaps

Still got several litres of Bombay Sapphire left over from our wedding last year!

ransos
    Free Member

If you just mix cheap gin with generic tonic you are missing a treat.

I’ve tried the posh stuff and am just as happy with Gordon’s & Schweppes.

gatsby
    Free Member

What other Gin based drinks are there? Not a fan of fizzyness so tonic is out.

Gin Martini?

G

nickjb
    Free Member

What other Gin based drinks are there?

There’s a few here: http://summerfruitcup.wordpress.com/2010/12/05/cocktails-with-6-oclock-gin/

captmorgan
    Free Member

fentimans tonic water is as good if not better that Fevertree imho

On the go at the moment we have seagrams gin, Jensons bermondsey gin & Bathtub gin.
    All three are good and worth a try.

lemonysam
    Free Member

Gin and elderflower champagne with frozen raspberries and blueberries is a king amongst beverages

willard

The Botanist is lovely and the whiskey they make at the same place is pretty damned good too!

One to consider may be the single botanic gin that the bloke that started Tyrells crisps makes. Simple, pure, very nice.

GrahamS

I’ve tried the posh stuff and am just as happy with Gordon’s & Schweppes.

Why not make your own then?

[img]http://images2.mysupermarket.co.uk/ProductsDetailed/57/009257.jpg?v=6[/img]

davidrussell
    Free Member

lol @grahamS

We were at the Good Food show in Glasgow last weekend and i was surprised by the number of Gin stalls there were – i lost count at 7 after several double helpings (with and without tonic) 🙂

I picked up a bottle of Martin Millers for £20 as it was a good balance between dry and aromatic. Some of them were a bit too 😮 dry for me, but i was tempted by a bottle of the Edinburgh Gin were it not for the £25 price tag. Good to see lots of startups though producing spirit.

I have tried the botanist gin up there ^ and it is lovely, and note they are going to start distilling gin on Harris next year, before whisky production starts.

gin does make me feel horrendous mentally the next day though…

ransos
    Free Member

Why not make your own then?

Because I value my eyesight.

gifferkev

Always got a bottle of Plymouth in the house, currently joined by a Hendricks.
    I was under the impression gin is just a flavoured vodka, it’s just a specific way of flavouring.

VanHalen

professor cornelius ampleforths bathtub gin.

any other gin just tastes shit now.

wilburt
    Free Member

I recently tried some sainsbury “taste the difference” type Gin which is reduced at the moment.

It’s 43% and two glasses cost me a 24hr recovery not sure I even like Gin only bought it because Bradley nWiggins drinks the stuff.

ericemel
    Free Member

Dodds – not tried anything better yet! Botanist is also very nice indeed. Huge fan of waitrose own tonic – though Fevertree and Fentimans are nice – but don’t hold their fizz as well.

Notter
    Free Member

Sipsmiths for me though I will happily quaff Bombay or Tanqueray.
    In fact currently I am, at this very moment, enjoying a Bombay and tonic by a pool in Abu Dhabi 🙂

lemonysam
    Free Member

We have Caorunn, Hendricks, Martin Millers, Bombay Sapphire and a bottle of Gordons in the back of the cupboard for emergencies. It doesn’t do not to have a choice.

I have just remembered that we also have a bottle of the local option, Jack Cains.

Smudger666

David Russell – my wife was there and knowing I like a g&t she got me a bottle of the Martin miller stuff, but also a bottle of chilli & lime gin.

Not had an excuse to try it yet but can’t say I’m looking forward to it much – anyone else tried it?

Spin
    Free Member

Not had an excuse to try it yet

You need an excuse?

thestabiliser
    Free Member

McNeish’s Nonexistant with Neitzche’s Unheard Of tonic and wild polynichian limes and crushed pyreneechean galcier ice for me.

Of course.

BillMC

Adnam’s Copper House gin is amazing in my view, particularly when combined with Fever Tree. It came 1st in some global contest last year (I think). I could not recommend this stuff more highly, it was a revelation. Some of the gins mentioned above I find a bit oily, this one is clean. Bit of a price premium on it but well worth it.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)

The topic ‘Gin’ is closed to new replies.